Disappointed by the Jodorowsky-Camoin TdM

Dusk Till Dawn

That got way to large..LOL

Bernice

Thank you for posting that scan Rafaël. Good to have documented evidence of things.

Bee :)

anubis777

Philippe Camoin

Philippe is a true Camoin due to his blood line you are mistaken by saying that he isn't you have the information confused. His fathers name was Denis Camoin Tourrasse who was the son of Marie Therese Camoin therefore making him by birth a Camoin. Please refer to his history here http://en.camoin.com/tarot/.Philippe-Camoin-en.html you will then see the history for yourself. It is not necessary to spread false rumors so check the facts. Many try to discredit him but his name & restored tarot speak for themselves.

itrocksmyworld

Cam-Jodo Uncertainty

i have just gotten the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck delivered directly from France a few weeks ago; i carry IT with me unshuffled and will soon find the proper time to sit down and do my initiatory ritual of sageing each card in order.... the deck will then be fully infused with energy, and myself and IT will be properly bonded in relationship....

i have read Jodorowsky's works, watched his films, and seen him interviewed, and i truly feel that there is a spirit of goodness and compassionate intent involved in the collaborative creation of his Taro deck.... i have much less information about Phillipe Camoin (Tourasse?), but from what i read and understand, he does have passion for the spreading of the esoteric information and public usefulness of the Taro; that being said, he also seems like he needs to make a buck and pay his bills, and his family association with the Taro is the perfect way to continue the family tradition and keep wine in the cellar.... ;-)

My personal credo: "That belongs in a museum!" - Indiana Jones.... to wit: if these guys (Camoin & Jodorowsky) have any information of historical Taro interest hitherto unpublished, or access to ultra-rare Taro decks hitherto unseen by the general public, both posterity and a sense of the common good insist that this "secret" information be freely shared with any and all persons interested in the subject! What good would IT do anybody if paleontologists found some thrilling new dinosaur skeletal discovery and leaked IT to the media in the form of "Come pay us for our seminar and we'll tell you all about IT!"? Taro is history, science, psychology, and esoteric spirituality all wrapped up in a neat little package, and may be of inestimable value to those who choose to use IT wisely for self-discovery.... if there is new and helpful information on the subject, ITs discoverers owe IT to their allegience as fellow human beings with the rest of us to freely disclose pictures, texts, and enlightening commentary to the general public.... for this will show them to be true gentlemen and scholars....

With that being said, i must address the reason i started writing this post - to say that IT is my opinion that ultimately, IT matters not a whit whether the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck is a "true restoration" of the TdM or not.... the Taro de Marseille (known for centuries as "The Italian Taro" before the 1930's and Paul Marteau), in ITs imagery, has remained startlingly consistent ever since the 1400's in Italy, and was in fact displaying this consistent imagery (in all probability) before the first deck of Taro cards was ever introduced to France - let alone the first French deck printed in Marseille! The Taro de Marseille is not really the Taro de Marseille (how's that for a zen koan?), and neither Phillipe Camoin nor Alejandro Jodorowsky can have the goods on the origins of the "TdM" because these origins are a couple-hundred years and countries-removed from the first deck printed by Camoin's ancestors....

So to sum up: either these bosom buddies (C & J) are cruelly keeping ancient wisdom away from the rest of us, only revealing IT in indecipherable imagery in their "restored" deck.... OR they decided to make a giant marketing prank, having little or no information that is new to anybody, and making a show of mystery and esoterica to entice the local yokels into the Boardwalk Taro show.... Jodorowsky, of course, is a master surrealist, and i would not put IT past him to twist the facts of reality to shake the public out of ITs spellbound slumber.... i don't approve of lying to the public, but in some cases the question of the ends perhaps justifying the means comes into play....

i feel that the truth is somewhere between these two scenarios (as the truth often seems to be), and that ultimately, no matter what the facts of the case in the back rooms at Camoin & Cie, there has been significant interest raised in the public sphere about the Taro de Marseille due to the Camoin-Jodorowsky Frankenstein creation deck, and more interest in Taro and ITs origins can only serve the greater good.... in my hummmmble opinion! My C & J deck will serve me well, as do all my decks, because there is energy far stronger, older and beyond our current petty squabblings about historical esoteric accuracy running through ITs images - no matter where or when the deck was made or who made IT! or even why....

For those of you who have actually gotten through this ridiculously long diatribe (as i have a tendency to harangue), please do me the honor of reading a little more and checking out my own system of interpretation for the TdM.... The Taro Of Longevity! Please check IT out by clicking the "Website" button at the bottom of this post....

.... and let me know what you think!

peace

Nolan McFadden ;-)

KariRoad

Jodo-Camoin

I am comfortably settled with 2 copies of the Jodo-Camoin. One for Reading, one for Study. My feeling is that it is one of the most significant creations of the 20th century (continuing so into the 21st century) in terms of "Tarot de Marseille" decks, worthy of proper respect, front and back, and as delicious to a traveller as the honour of being invited by Galadriel to look into her mirror. Read (or re-read) those pages in Tolkien if you need more understanding to comprehend.

Bernice

I have this deck and I like it - because it's a Marseille, and because the images are clear. However historically speaking, it's unfortunate that it's an inhouse/custom/mystery deck.

Bee :)

KariRoad

Wheels & Wings

Bernice said:
However historically speaking, it's unfortunate that it's an inhouse/custom/mystery deck.
Jodo-Camoin wrote "history" with their Tarot. From day one it became a part of Tarot history. It was and is historic, and sits at the table of Tarot now and forevermore. We are especially endowed because Alejandro and Philippe walk with us still. Would something 600 years old found rotting in an ancient well be any more valuable, perhaps, but please let us rejoice now, and for those to come centuries hence, be merciful and celebratory to have shared the light and shadow of changing centuries with two such devoted and sincere participants of the splendorous experience of Tarot as our fiends, perhaps only to be known in years unimagined as Jodo-Camoin, tiny letters on brittle bits of cardstock. :heart:

dorfmeister

Received the english translation of Jodorowski's book today. Have ordered the Camoin Marseilles deck directly from his website.

Bringing this back up as I am reading the book and doing research.