Dizziness after reading

Daylin

Hi all,

This question is actually why I've joined this forum, because I don't have anyone to talk to about this (my family is very conservative and I'm forced to hide the fact I do tarot, and my friends don't know anything about reading tarot).

A few times after a reading or so (3 or 4) I've experienced headaches. Yesterday, after doing some for a friend, I experienced waves of dizziness that lasted until I was forced to sleep in the hopes it would stop. They only lasted for a few seconds or so but they were continuous and would occur in intervals.

I don't have any medical conditions and I'm not taking any medication.

Has this happened to anyone? I am pretty new at tarot.

Thanks!

nisaba

Welcome to the forum.

It's possible you're not grounding properly, which can induce vertigo-like symptoms during and after reading.

Try staying really well hydrated, and reducing the amount of salt in your diet overall. If you are a strict vegan you will need about a quarter of a teaspoon of salt a week - if you eat meat and eggs, you will get as much salt as your body needs unless you sweat unusually heavily all the time.

If you eat even commercially-made bread or cheese, much less salty snacks, you might take in enough salt in a day or two for a whole week!

seedcake

I get dizzy too, and sometimes "happy dizzy" like I was a bit drunk. It gives me some extra endorphines but I take a break from readings.

Do you make "big" readings from more than three or four cards?

celticnoodle

agree with both posts. perhaps you are overdoing it--especially if you are a beginner with reading. take it slow and easy--but most especially, as nisaba states, you need to keep well grounded (and IMHO--also protected)--and well hydrated.

drinking water is especially good, of course, and eating some snacks. You'll find out what is best through trial and error--for yourself. I know for me, as I generally have low blood sugar anyway, after I read, I often need something sugary in my system--so I can feel okay. Though also something like rice or potatoes (even instant is good) will also help me feel grounded.

As for feeling grounded, pretty much ANYTHING that comes from the earth--and this can also include products like milk or ice cream. I tend to also crave a glass of milk after doing some readings and I'm generally dairy intollerant! go figure! cheese and crackers are another fave of mine. Or pretzels, potato chips, which granted, are salty and not exactly 'healthy' but both are a part of my 'normal' diet anyway. :D

check out the threads Mused supplied too, but do consider going a bit slower with how many readings you are doing in a day--and how large a reading. For a beginner, I would recommend one to three cards only. Gives you a chance to really get to know the cards and how to read them in combination with the cards around them. Then expand from there as you get use to it. Always read when you're properly rested and have eaten something. Perhaps doing some grounding and protection techniques in addition--(which some agree with and others do not, so its really a personal thing to decide upon).

And, welcome to A.T. You have at least found a great place to practice the tarot and learn some possible new techniques with reading. And, a place where learning is truly fun!

danieljuk

I don't get dizzy but I do get tired and headaches. I try to limit readings to one spread a day max. However I do put a lot into my readings and so probably use a lot of energy doing them, maybe spiritual energy. I think my next step is to pull back a bit, not give so much during them. This only started when I really started to use my intuition in readings.

I have a problem with not drinking enough water during readings, like Nisaba suggested. I drink water all the time but for some strange reason I never thought about it during readings. It actually came up in a spread on here in an exchange circle that I need to hydrate more during divination! I now drink water constantly and have it to hand and it has changed things.

VGimlet

While I don't have physical issues after reading, I HAVE noticed I get dehydrated pretty quickly when I'm dong several readings in a row.

I tend to get dehydrated anyway, but I've noticed I need to hydrate when reading like I'm working in the yard on a hot sunny day. I don't know why, but that's how it works for me.

seedcake

I have a problem with not drinking enough water during readings, like Nisaba suggested. I drink water all the time but for some strange reason I never thought about it during readings. It actually came up in a spread on here in an exchange circle that I need to hydrate more during divination! I now drink water constantly and have it to hand and it has changed things.

I just found out that tea is a nice help for me. But it's not sipping. When I feel I need to drink, I can drink half of the cup.

Daylin

Thanks for all of your responses! I definitely didn't know this was something that happened often...and I'll try to take all your suggestions into account! Thanks again ~

seven stars

When I've read in the market & have had real busy days or nights & reading after reading after reading, yah...major head spins & out of it feeling.