Finally stepping into the world of oracle cards

Madrigal

I've got a fair number of Oracle decks but I rarely use them solo, the exception being the Tao Oracle. I pair them up with my various Tarot decks based on the art work and lens used. For example I paired up the above-mentioned Oracle of the Radiant Sun with the Cosmic Tarot as the artwork and color palette was quite similar. I pull an Oracle card and then a two-card Tarot draw to deepen and expand on the message of the Oracle card and generally spend a week or two with the pair. I really enjoy working with the decks this way and it ensures they get used regularly.

The Happy Squirrel

Ah. What a brilliant idea!

Citrin

Awesome! :) I only used tarot for like ten years, thought oracle decks were "unnecessary"... Then bam, got my first one and now I'm afraid of looking for more because I don't own a money tree lol! :) I love my four oracle decks though, they're very healing and inspirational.

The Happy Squirrel

I have limited myself to three :p

2dogs

I've built up to a dozen or so, then cut back down to two that I use together. Oracle decks are so varied I think you need to try a few to see what works best for you :cool3:.

Achlys

I've just recently been picking up oracle decks as well.
I decided to get the Myths & Mermaids deck I've had my eye on for a while.

This is going to be interesting :laugh:
It's really very different from reading tarot cards, at least to me.

The Happy Squirrel

I've built up to a dozen or so, then cut back down to two that I use together. Oracle decks are so varied I think you need to try a few to see what works best for you :cool3:.

That is true.

I think I really need those with solid principles behind them. Not those with random art with self help new age key words thrown in. I think you can reasonably tell pretty quickly which is which.

Although I don't like the fact that Alana Fairchild squeezed her version of Kuan Yin onto pre existing art that has nothing to do with it, I like the Wild Kuan Yin because it feels a bit like my dad giving me advise as we were growing up through scenes we watch on TV together. So I am OK with that.

Australian Wildflower is based on Doctrine of Signatures and plant reading which I no nothing about but I know the creator had this concept I mind for about two decades or so prior to publishing, I think. So it felt like it has been really thought about, and nothing shallow about that.

The Dreamtime Reading Card is based on the Australian Aboriginal tradition and created by a member of the tradition, although interpreted into a more western and modern 'new age' language by the publisher, from what I can see of the descriptions I can read online and the YouTube video of the unboxing an advance copy of her own deck. So I think I am OK with that too. Because the creator is happy about the publisher's interpretation of her work.

Others I see out there that has been highly recommended, I couldn't connect the artwork with, and that is a bit sad that I deny myself some good 'oracle' decks because I just can't go pass the art. But you know, this is good as I tend to start collecting things and that is never good for the wallet!!

Glass Owl

I really do wish they would call the deck something else though. The Oracle of the Kite Dancer would have been a much nicer title and I feel perhaps more honest to the deck too.
I agree. I don't see it really relating to Kuan Yin, in terms of theme nor art style. I think Oracle of the Kite Dancer would have been a much choice!

There are so many! Which would you recommend for someone not into angels or witchcraft?
If you like nature, you may like Nature's Whispers Oracle cards, Earth Magic Oracle cards, Earth Power Oracle, etc. If you like animals, Animal Whispers Empowerment Cards are excellent.

The Happy Squirrel

I agree. I don't see it really relating to Kuan Yin, in terms of theme nor art style. I think Oracle of the Kite Dancer would have been a much choice!

If you like nature, you may like Nature's Whispers Oracle cards, Earth Magic Oracle cards, Earth Power Oracle, etc. If you like animals, Animal Whispers Empowerment Cards are excellent.

Of all the ones you mentioned, and some have been recommended by lovely ATers here as well, Earth Power is probably the only one I could connect with visually. I find it extremely difficult to work with visual cues such as reading cards when the visual doesn't work for me. I saw Nature's Whispers and liked the cover but as I browse through the cards online, again, I found as it often does, the depiction of people are just not my cuppa tea. But I have ordered 3 decks so far and have identified one OOP deck that I feel is based on significant level of spiritual contemplation enough for me to try my hands on: Oracle of Dreamtime.

Thanks for the recommendation! :)