I only have one thing to say... no, make that two:

OMG!!! It is gorgeous!!!

And when can I order one :-D

OnePotato

I only have one thing to say... no, make that two:

OMG!!! It is gorgeous!!!

And when can I order one :-D

Thanks truelight!

When can we, the not-in-time to the party folks, get this wonderful deck?

All these raving reviews just make me be more impatient. I envy you, lucky owners! :)

Initially, I'll have an upgrade offer limited to people who bought Bill's 22, or contributed in some other way to the project. This is in production right now. Only a small number of surprise advance copies have already gone out.

If all goes well, depending on several factors, I expect to do a larger edition of the "Special Edition Card Deck: Le Tarot Tournant – 78 Jeu de Cartes" in a relatively short while. One of the factors is the deliberation on whether to turn this over to someone else to handle, so sorry to say there is no specific date for this.

The "Artist’s Book Deluxe Edition: Le Tarot Tournant – Hypotyposis Systematis Mundam" may have limited availability at some point, though for now I'm still working out a number of issues.

Thank you for your patience.

OnePotato

I know, they are so expressive. I also adore the horses, and the pips may be the most beautiful pips I've ever seen. The colors are just so gorgeous and how some of them go from dark to light and back to dark again, throughout the suits. They're very moody.

Thanks Prudence!

If you lay the pips out in lines, Ace through ten, and look, both generally and closely, you should see several interesting relationships emerge, both in the A-10, and in the suit-to-suit.

You can then do the same with the courts, and see that they relate to one another, and how they in turn also relate to the pips.

And, of course, all of this is apart from the link with the trumps, though the split there is more straight forward. (By design.)

I spent a bit more than a year developing an overall Master Plan for the pips, then quite a bit more time fitting each suit to that plan and designing individual cards to it. I have several hundred pages of pencil sketches, 10 cards to a page. All of this before I actually started painting them.

If you look up at the night sky, you'll get an overall impression. If you look closer, you'll begin to see features and patterns emerge. If you stay with it, and look deeper and deeper, over time you'll see more and more and more, and find more and more order, even if you never reach the point of finding "everything" there is to find. That is one idea that I set out to capture in this project.

More photos:
https://nopotatopress.wordpress.com/portfolio/le-tarot-tournant-2/

Some detail views:

Attachments

• Baton07.jpg
    Baton07.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 687
  • Coupe03.jpg
    Coupe03.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 621
  • Epee02.jpg
    Epee02.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 624
  • Deniers06.jpg
    Deniers06.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 610

prudence

Hi Bill,

Do you mean to lay them out horizontally or vertically? And if I am doing this with all of the pips, which suit should be on top, which should be beneath that row, etc etc? Obviously, I have not tried to do this yet, but I am very intrigued, and I'd like to try soon. I'm still just oohing and ahhing while looking through the deck, and trying little readings here and there, just to see how the cards speak. These pips really bring a lot of voice and emotion, not like most decks that have pips. Some pips have a very neutral overall look and voice, your pips have something more, and whatever that is, spiritually speaking, it does help to stoke the intuitive furnace, the way you've painted them.

Bluefeet

Swooning over these cards! The colors are heavenly. Congratulations on completing this project!

daphne

Initially, I'll have an upgrade offer limited to people who bought Bill's 22, or contributed in some other way to the project. This is in production right now. Only a small number of surprise advance copies have already gone out.

If all goes well, depending on several factors, I expect to do a larger edition of the "Special Edition Card Deck: Le Tarot Tournant – 78 Jeu de Cartes" in a relatively short while. One of the factors is the deliberation on whether to turn this over to someone else to handle, so sorry to say there is no specific date for this.

The "Artist’s Book Deluxe Edition: Le Tarot Tournant – Hypotyposis Systematis Mundam" may have limited availability at some point, though for now I'm still working out a number of issues.

Thank you for your patience.

I was not yet around for Bill's 22 pregnancy. I have no other choice now than tame my devastating impatience.

I looked at the pip pictures you posted and read with wonder and delight about the attention and details you put into their creation.
The thing is that I am exactly in the middle of learning reading with Marseille, and I am very eager now to try read with your pips.
The fact that they are so very careful and long planned and studied makes your deck, beyond the wonderful bright colors, which I so much adore, a really long waited candidate for my to-go-deck as Marseille.

(Loved your comparison with the sky layered whispers!!!)

OnePotato

Thank you Bluefeet and thank you daphne.

Prudence, that's an interesting question.
It's not a particular "setup" that reveals some particular thing or trick.
It's entirely flexible. In a pile, vertical, horizontal, or shuffled.
Start with them side-by-side, as some more obvious things should emerge.
The order of the suits doesn't have to matter.

For instance:
In a standard TdM, if you lay swords or batons side by side in numerical order, you'll see that distinctive growing rhythmic pattern appear. It's a defining feature of the TdM standard design. As I thought about how I would design my pips, after a bit, it occurred to me that I could move the impression of that rhythmic pattern from the swords (or batons) themselves, into a landscape of regular undulating hills. This would free up the pip-swords (or pip-batons) to assume any new individual arrangements that I could imagine, without sacrificing that particularly distinctive overall TdM effect. At the same time, the new landscapes, by appearing on swords & batons, would set those suits apart from cups & coins, in the way that red & black suits are distinguished in modern playing cards. The next revelation was to shift the growing/subsiding of the numerical progression into the middle of the run, thus overlaying a new level of order/sequence, and allowing it to transform into a cyclical change instead of a simple linear one. That opens up great opportunities for all sorts of other things....but I'll stop here. You should note that none of this is intended as a "riddle" to be "solved" by the viewer. My hope is that people who look at the thing will get a strong impression that there is an underlying deliberate order to the thing, (With no need to dot every last "i" before they recognize that) and that it is not simply "decorative". I hope I haven't said too much here, as I don't want to spoil the effect.

Michellehihi

I was not yet around for Bill's 22 pregnancy. I have no other choice now than tame my devastating impatience.

I looked at the pip pictures you posted and read with wonder and delight about the attention and details you put into their creation.
The thing is that I am exactly in the middle of learning reading with Marseille, and I am very eager now to try read with your pips.
The fact that they are so very careful and long planned and studied makes your deck, beyond the wonderful bright colors, which I so much adore, a really long waited candidate for my to-go-deck as Marseille.

(Loved your comparison with the sky layered whispers!!!)
Same for me. I am new to tarot and my favorite style of cards are TdM and you art is just incredible! Will newbies like me have a chance to lay hands on a deluxe edition, says she crying and begging???????

nicky

I rarely use any other decks besides the RWS for reading - additionally I have seen people who have 'new deck' spreads where they talk to their new decks in some way and figure out its moods or whatever... I have not done that ...but I cannot stop thinking about doing a reading with the deck and I don't want to go off on some hokey spread nonsense... I thought a serious reading about the upcoming election may interest some of the people on this thread - to take the deck out and give it a spin in front of the gods and everyone else...although I don't know for sure if that is allowed or I need to be in the readings area...but then while I thought about formulating a question I fell asleep wondering if I could bear saying trumps name while handling these cards...the answer is no - please stay tuned...

OnePotato

Same for me. I am new to tarot and my favorite style of cards are TdM and you art is just incredible! Will newbies like me have a chance to lay hands on a deluxe edition, says she crying and begging???????

Thank you Michellehihi!

For the deluxe Book/Box edition, when the time comes, if all goes well, I may work out a deal with an Artist's Book gallery to offer it through them, so anyone who chooses to would be able to buy it. But not sure yet how it will go.