Anyone use the Wheel of Change Tarot?

Belladonna

I'm back!

Hi! Glad to finally have a chance to sit down with the Judgement card.

You know, I wasn't brought up as a Christian so I don't particularly relate to, or like the idea of being judged for my past actions by some big, old, white-bearded, patriarchal God figure sitting up on his throne in heaven. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with that image. I'm just making a point that I don't think that point of view is always healthy, and it's strong in our culture, and the sticking point for a lot of guilt complex type of problems.

I worship the Goddess and her consort, but the emphasis is on the balance between the two with a heavy earthy presence. (by earthy, I include all the elements of our plane)

So for me, it makes more sense to place my judgement in the hands of the Goddess. I know that I will reap what I sow, and suffer the consequences of my actions. Whether I call this the Three-fold law or Karma, I understand that is the only way to truly learn- by experience. But I also believe it is my destiny to understand my karma, so that I can move forward in my life with increased awareness about myself and how I affect the lives of others. I believe the unravelling of this universe is generated, in essence, by love and that ultimately, I have nothing to fear.

Now go and take a look at that happy little man sitting in his garden cradled by the bosoms of the goddess, ready to be born again, but this time he gets it! He is thinking AH HA! So that's how it is!

Wildchild

I have to compare the Judgement card of WOC to the RW Judgement. In the RW card, there is an angel, gathering people together...like last call on Judgement day where you are judged by others or an entity and absolution is granted by an outside force. In the WOC card, I see it more like a personal judgement or evaluation of yourself. Whether you're happy or unhappy with the results, there is always a chance to change. It's how we keep ourselves in balance. We look at our own thoughts and actions and pass honest judgement on ourselves. When I see this card, I ask myself the question of am I happy with myself in that situation and what can I do to change that?

Belladonna

court cards?

Would someone like to point out some of the differences between the Prince of Cups in the Wheel of Change and the Knight of Cups in more traditional decks? (The Knight in the Wheel of Change corresponds to the King)

Wildchild

I need to ponder this one some more. As much as I see a lot of similarities, there are differences. One is very much a showy display (in the RW card) and the other is more a personal journey (the WOC card). I don't use the RW deck so my interpretations may be coloured by that fact.

Belladonna

That's O.K. What would you say about the Prince of Cups from the Wheel of Change deck only. What is his personal journey all about and is it purely internal or does it involve others as well?

firemaiden

Well, I finally got this deck, and am happy to have this thread here. I am not sure what I think of this yet, a bit put off by the matt cheapish card-stock. Wishing it were published by Lo Scarabeo...

I love the artwork, the originality, the suit-coded borders. I can see that the meanings are more Crowley inspired, or numerologically derived than RWS traditional, which I think is a good thing, but I will need some retraining.

I can't fan the deck, it sticks.
The book is quite clunky.

I am trying not to be put-off by what I feel is a political agenda a mile long.

Belladonna

Trust me, I know what you mean. Try scraping the cards off a sharp table edge on both sides, take some of the stiffness out.

The book IS clunky and a little too "environmentally friendly" for my taste. But I think it's worth the committment it takes to understand this deck.

There are a lot of interesting takes on the meanings of the cards and they are very beautiful. I think she really stretches our imagination in how we can apply HER meanings to the more traditional meanings. I'm not suggesting we stray too far in creating meaning that is not there, but for more advanced tarot readers I'm really starting to feel that simply understanding this deck is a good practice in being able to apply tarot readings to all kinds of different life situations.

For instance. The ten of wands depicted by the flags of several different countries. I can see how that represents that our vision, our creative will has extended beyond myself, my family, my community, and has come to rest in the success of my country. And a country is burdened by its responsibility towards its people.
And at the same time I understand that the challenge is to walk through the barrier, so that my vision does not come to an end with my country but extends to other people, other nations.

darwinia

A Singular Cup with a Good Body

Belladonna said:
What would you say about the Prince of Cups from the Wheel of Change deck only. What is his personal journey all about and is it purely internal or does it involve others as well?

This reminds me of accounts of South Sea islanders rushing out in their boats to greet European ships. Cheerfully unaware of the destruction that will envelop them and their open eagerness.

His journey is one of connecting the internal to the external. He feels separate but has the confidence that he is joureying toward an external truth that will change him internally. Connected to the sea -- this reminds me of a low-slung sportscar that hovers close to the road, every vibration is felt throughout your body as you hug the road. He is riding a Polynesian Trans-Am.

He has brought fresh water and food for the journey and he has his net to catch fresh fish. The light beaming down from one star is what he aims for, he follows the external and the journey will change him from within. His movement and wonder have already changed him, action always does. Physically, he's young and muscular and makes me want to explore and get going somewhere.

So, I consult the book and feel like I missed half the message. He seems singular, alone to me and I don't get the message that his journey involves others. She states it does in the book, but without her explanation I didn't see this.

It's another card that is beautiful but seems to have a subtle meaning that only the book can interpret.

Belladonna

Yes, I agree with you. To me, there doesn't seem to be much difference between him and the rws Knight of Cups who beholds his love from afar, who is idealistic and romantic, eternally on the quest for the Holy Grail, but never really comes close enough to get his hands dirty. The idea of love is "out there." But I suppose love, romance, ideals even when naive are not a bad motivation for action.
I think she is trying to show us that love IS what connects this man to others. Like the sea connects the islands. He is willing to allow love to carry him to others guided by the star and his own vast knowledge of his own emotions, desires and even unconcious. He understands himself and is now searching to connect with others through love. Exploring relationships on an emotional level.
He is alone because he is willing to put himself at great risk by wearing his heart on his sleeve, by trusting his instincts and intuition, by allowing himself to feel powerful emotions and even be guided by them, but he is aware of others now, searching for ways to connect to others because of his discovery of this great sea of compassion within him.

A note, too, about the food he brings with him and the resources with which to catch more: he is not searching to connect with others for selfish reasons, to replenish his own emotional needs. He has found a way to do that for himself. This is about a genuine desire, and ability to relate to others with love, compassion, sensitivity... No man is an island.

Wildchild

Another thing I found about the Wheel of Change deck is that I don't tend to read reverse with these cards. For some reason, it doesn't seem to be appropriate. Does anyone read reverse with them?