Unconventional or non-divination uses for tarot...

Hedera

Thank you! I did a bit of research and that book seems closest to what I'm looking for!

You're welcome! :)

I am glad: it really is one of the best books of this kind (no card meanings or spreads, but other creative ways to use the cards) out there I think, and it seems to have become a bit less known lately.

In fact, I think I am going to get my copy now and do some of the assignments in there this weekend, using my lovely Dreaming Way deck.

Have fun!

3ill.yazi

I've been afraid to do the Greer book. What if I pick a crappy card? :)

bogiesan

Lately I've been slightly bored doing regular spreads/readings with tarot. I'm very drawn to my decks though and still want to use them regularly but don't know what else I can do with them. I'm looking for books on non-conventional ways to use tarot. Like tarot activities, or tarot meditations, ways to use them throughout the day, or even games. Anything that gives different ways to use a deck! Any book recommendations? OR can you share your own suggestions and ideas?

Might be impossible to find these days but 15-20 years ago there was a role playing game called Mage-The Ascension (and The Awkening), published by White Wolf, which has become part of a conglomerate. There was even a comic/manga-style tarot deck created for the game but that's another story. A series of books for game masters was available and one of them, if memory serves, was about how to use the tarot in several different types of gaming, and in Mage specifically, for character generation, plot development, as replacement for multi-sided die and several other unique purposes.

Sorry not be of more help, I had the book and the deck briefly but neither survived one or more purges.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/114433/Mage-Translation-Guide?cPath=6531
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage:_The_Awakening
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage:_The_Ascension
http://theonyxpath.com/category/projects/mage20/

Teheuti

I've been afraid to do the Greer book. What if I pick a crappy card? :)
You can pick another card at any time (perhaps a card from a reading that you want to explore further). Just go back and do the first couple of steps with the new card and then pick up where you left off. Or, when starting, draw three cards and pick one of them to work with (re: 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card).

seakla

Actually, Tarot can be used in Spells, Meditation, as well as for Creative Writing. Check out these books:

Tarot Spells by Janina Renee

Tarot for Writers by Corrine Kenner

365 Tarot Activities by Deanna Anderson

The third book mentioned is one I wrote and just released in January. It has chapters on other ways to use Tarot other than for divination such as a chapters on Group Activities which has games and such; for example: If you have 10 people coming to a party, choose 5 cards from the deck. Write down a description of each card on a piece of paper such as "balance in finances" and then have five people draw a card and five people draw a description...they then get to try and match up who has whose card and/or description. Also I include chapters for basic spells, meditation, creative writing prompts (pick three cards at random and write a story combining all three cards). Some activities are just journal or group discussion prompts such as "how would you update Tarot, for example would the Hanged Man be an acrobat or extreme sportsman in modern times?"

So, lots of things you can use Tarot for!

KristinCali

Actually, Tarot can be used in Spells, Meditation, as well as for Creative Writing. Check out these books:

Tarot Spells by Janina Renee

Tarot for Writers by Corrine Kenner

365 Tarot Activities by Deanna Anderson

The third book mentioned is one I wrote and just released in January. It has chapters on other ways to use Tarot other than for divination such as a chapters on Group Activities which has games and such; for example: If you have 10 people coming to a party, choose 5 cards from the deck. Write down a description of each card on a piece of paper such as "balance in finances" and then have five people draw a card and five people draw a description...they then get to try and match up who has whose card and/or description. Also I include chapters for basic spells, meditation, creative writing prompts (pick three cards at random and write a story combining all three cards). Some activities are just journal or group discussion prompts such as "how would you update Tarot, for example would the Hanged Man be an acrobat or extreme sportsman in modern times?"

So, lots of things you can use Tarot for!

Oh how exciting, congratulations on your book! I found it on Amazon and I'm going to consider it. What you mention above sounds like fun. Oh and I do have the Tarot Spells book! Thanks for the help. xoxo

seakla

Oh how exciting, congratulations on your book! I found it on Amazon and I'm going to consider it. What you mention above sounds like fun. Oh and I do have the Tarot Spells book! Thanks for the help. xoxo

You are welcome and thanks! I am excited to have the book out.

I love the Tarot Spells book, I need to find a new one of the Tarot for Writers as my copy got ruined, and I hadn't had a chance to use it. I love both books though!

Glass Owl

What's in the Cards for You has some great exercises in it as does The Tarot Playbook.

Another fun thing to do - use your cards to explore books, tv shows, movies, etc. (You can read more about it in in this thread.) Just shuffling the cards while watching tv can be relaxing and fun. You can also try using your cards just for fun prediction type readings, such as the winner of a game.

Oh, I almost forgot - another fun book that may help you look at some other unconventional and creative ways of working with the Tarot is Tarot Diva. It even includes recipes!

seakla

What's in the Cards for You has some great exercises in it as does The Tarot Playbook.

Another fun thing to do - use your cards to explore books, tv shows, movies, etc. (You can read more about it in in this thread.) Just shuffling the cards while watching tv can be relaxing and fun. You can also try using your cards just for fun prediction type readings, such as the winner of a game.

Oh, I almost forgot - another fun book that may help you look at some other unconventional and creative ways of working with the Tarot is Tarot Diva. It even includes recipes!

Recipes??? Oh I have to get that book!!! lol

In my book I mention something similar to what you described with TV shows and such, as a way to do practice readings I wrote that you can do them for celebrities, book characters, movie characters, etc. I did one for Rose on Titanic and it came out eerily accurate! One of the main purposes with my book is not only to teach people Tarot and learn to be confident readers but also to give people something to do with the cards that isn't always a reading...just others ways to connect and interact with Tarot.

Sounds like there are a lot of good books on the market with the same purpose! :)