elements as swords with fire and wands with
air
?

I have P. Scott Hollander's Tarot For Beginners,
as well as A Renaissance Tarot, by Brian Williams. As
of this week's end, I will also own The Witches' Tarot
guide book, by Ellen Cannon-Reed.

Other than those, I have found very few tarot books
that favor the swords-fire/wands-air suit assignments.
Any ideas?
:)

Kissa

the nigel jackson tarot uses the system swords/fire and wands/air, so the companion book refers to that system.

apart from that, if you are looking for something else than a companion book, i'm afraid i can't help :(

for reading jmd's posts about this system, i found after the first annoyance, that it makes sense really to think of swords as fire and wands as air. i've never liked the fact that wands are fire but fire destroys wands... i like better the way that swords are built out of fire (metal melting and being shaped) and wands/trees grow in the air, actually using it to grow. somehow it all fits better with my way of seeing the world. and then again, i read only with deck swords/air wands/fire because i connect to the artwork of some very strongly. how stupid is that???

anyway, must thanks you for reminding me of this good'ol' Nigel sleeping somewhere :)

kissa

tarobones

fire or energy?

I understand and respect the "other" tradition, but for me Wands will always be fire, not in the literal sense, but in the sense of intense energy and potential for life. Something alive, like Wands, does that for me. BB, Michael

dadsnook2000

Witches Tarot

The Witches Tarot, on another current thread, is one of those decks wherein Swords are equated with fire. Interesting is the author's comparison, in her book, of the meanings of her cards and other cards -- an effort that helps those who have a hard time getting used to the switch from air to fire. I've had great readings with this deck and really enjoyed the book that came with the deck. Dave

catlin

Maybe you also want to check out the Pagan 2000 companion book which is also swords/fire and wands/air when I recall it right.

mysticmonkey

I didn't realise there were different views on this. I naturally saw wands as air and swords as fire.
That feeling of standing out on top of a cliff and feeling the magic in the air and the potential in life. That's why I associate wands with air.

LadyMedusa

A couple of more...
Keeper of Words the companion deck for Legend Arthurian and Conways Celtic Dragon's companion book.

LadyMedusa

TheMuseSway

New and I also have ths same issue.

catbaloo said:
I didn't realise there were different views on this. I naturally saw wands as air and swords as fire.
That feeling of standing out on top of a cliff and feeling the magic in the air and the potential in life. That's why I associate wands with air.

I too sometimes have the same issues. I know when I read it the reason why wands is fire and swords are air. But I hate when they say swords that cut through air! What, that doesn't make it a liable excuse. It's really just confuses me. I think it's just the repersentations. Though with time I found similar attributes and if you think about it, it takes time to actually "get it" and adjust.

I see, in Tarot the Swords court means, powerful, wordly, power often misused, nobility, politicians, self centerdness, usually people who have power to do you harm.(Tarot for Beginners- P.Scott Hollander)
However the element to this deck "Air" attributes are Intellect, Communication and Outgoingness
(http://www.crazyhoroscopes.com/display-attribute.php?id=13)

Wands- Buisness affairs, financial affairs, ambition, personal effort and sucesss. (Not the same as Coins of course.)

Fire-Energy, Liveliness, and Motivation.

Why does Wands have the similar attributes with the planet Mercury/ Air element and Fire with a Mars/Sun similarity. I just think maybe my knowledge with Horoscopes/Zodiac has conflicted with how I see Wands as Air and Fire as Swords. However, since it is the proper way to read them I accept them and read them as such. The only way I can remember it is by Smart Intellectual Hot Tempered. Sword/Air Attribute and Ambitious, motivated succesful person. Wands/Fire. What's even worse is my sister who's an air element, I usually see her as a wand type of person personality wise. All I can say is, that you're not alone!

whipsilk

Another deck that has Wands/Air and Swords/Fire is the Celtic Dragons Tarot, a deck I like very much. And it's very clear from the Aces onward that this exchange has been made. I never realized Legend: Arthurian also uses the same system, so it's softened tremendously in that deck. There's a companion book to Celtic Dragons, although I haven't yet dipped into it. I believe it can be bought separately if you don't want the deck (but it's an enormously expressive deck, and I highly recommend it).

tiffanoodle

Well it has been quite some time since anyone has posted here. I was just about to create a thread of the same title, but I thought I should search first :)
So are there any other suggestions besides companion books? Websites would be wonderful as well.