The De-Enabling Thread

Rusty Neon

RedMaple said:
I want a Marseille, preferably the Hadar, for study and comparison purposes of course. :)

Your wanting a Marseille is commendable. However, for study and comparison purposes, the Hadar would not do the task.

For such purposes, a deck that is a photoreproduction of one of the historical TdM decks or or a modern redrawing deck (e.g., Grimaud) that observes the patterns of one of the historical TdM decks is desirable, e.g., the 1760 Conver pattern or the 1701 Dodal. See my post linked here for details.

On the other hand, the Hadar is a composite deck that doesn't follow one single TdM pattern and, to boot, makes changes. On each of most cards in the Hadar deck, some elements are drawn from the Conver, other elements are drawn from the Dodal, and yet other elements come from the musings of Hadar. By way of example, such musings include (but are not limited to) adding crowns, halos and flowers where such don't exist in either the Dodal or Conver or changing the Dodal's or Conver's ambiguous flowers into roses.

Rusty Neon

Minchiate de-enablings

Thanks to you all fellow de-enablers, I have (so far) held off pushing the buy button on a Minchiate. Well, after all, I do already have a copy of Williams' book on the Minchiate which I have done more yet than peruse. That, together with scans on the Internet, should suffice for study and comparisons purposes, eh? And it's not that I'm really going to use it for readings.

But the Minchiate Fiorentine and the Costantini still beckon in my weak moments.

Shalott

Re: Minchiate de-enablings

Rusty Neon said:
Thanks to you all fellow de-enablers, I have (so far) held off pushing the buy button on a Minchiate. Well, after all, I do already have a copy of Williams' book on the Minchiate which I have done more yet than peruse. That, together with scans on the Internet, should suffice for study and comparisons purposes, eh? And it's not that I'm really going to use it for readings.

But the Minchiate Fiorentine and the Costantini still beckon in my weak moments.

Ooo the BUY button.

De-enabling:
Pretend it's the DIE button! ;)

Cerulean

But then again, the siren song...

...Yearn a bit more than gloat over those red-backed woodcuts that have a smile in their little voices...nobody will understand them better than you....

Sir Rusty, Sir Rusty....

"I will tell the secret to you,
to you, only to you.
Come closer. This song

is a cry for help: Help me!
Only you, only you can,
you are unique..."

Full text here:

http://www.poetryconnection.net/poets/Margaret_Atwood/9021

Sometimes those little voices....

Phantom Goddess

I really want the Faery Wicca Tarot deck... please talk me out of it before I buy it. I really want it, but I shouldn't I heard some bad stuff about it. Talk me out of buying it before I do.

Chronata

Phantom Goddess said:
I really want the Faery Wicca Tarot deck... please talk me out of it before I buy it. I really want it, but I shouldn't I heard some bad stuff about it. Talk me out of buying it before I do.

all right...here goes....
The Faery Wicca may be pretty, but owning it...and communicating with it in any reasonable capacity will require you to learn a completely new language.
Unless, of course you speak fluent Celtic, this deck will have you frustrated beyond belief as you trip over all the names, and your tongue gets tied in knots.
It also has a few extra confusing cards, seems to want to be it's own system...and well, it's really just not worth the hassle!

I actually gave mine away in exchange for a reading once.

red120

The Amano deck.. I really like this deck.. but I only have like, seventy bucks left in my bank account.. since my Secrets and Thoth deck just came today :p

I was gonna order it, but didn't get around to it yet..

Sybilant

red120 said:
The Amano deck.. I really like this deck.. but I only have like, seventy bucks left in my bank account.. since my Secrets and Thoth deck just came today :p

The Thoth will keep you busy for a long long time. You won't think of buying another deck for months.

I recommend "The Crowley Tarot" by Akron and Banzhaf. You won't believe how much symbolism is packed onto the cards.

But buy food first. And pay the bills. And put some money away for a rainy day.

s.

Ruby7

Could someone please help me get over my insane desire for the Buckland Romani? I have wanted this deck for months and am unable to get it for a decent price in Canada. The E-Bay sales are always U.S. only for this deck. Please help!!!! I don't need another deck and absolutely cannot afford one.

Ruby7

WolfSpirit

Chronata said:
all right...here goes....
The Faery Wicca may be pretty, but owning it...and communicating with it in any reasonable capacity will require you to learn a completely new language.
Unless, of course you speak fluent Celtic, this deck will have you frustrated beyond belief as you trip over all the names, and your tongue gets tied in knots.

We had a member here once who spoke Irish, and she thought the deck was weird because the titles were half in English, half in Irish. The creator is not Irish herself, she uses the Irish language as an affectation, makes it all very artificial. The little book is also confusing and muddled. There is no clear thought behind the deck. Pity for the artist who drew the pictures, some of them are pretty good.
I traded mine to someone who I think also traded it again.