The De-Enabling Thread

gregory

QueenofPentacles said:
Second, so many different Tarot artists/designers/writers have their own system for reconciling astrology and particular cards. Because astrology is so integral to this deck, if you don't agree with this particular system it will probably make it unworkable for you.
It's not that washed out actually, in the "flesh".

But that is a VERY good point - if you are already into astrology, read up first (there are threads) and if anyone here whose astrology you "agree with" if you see what I mean, has posted, ask them how they find it. I don't actually understand that side of it; I read it like I do any other deck - but it could really annoy you if that's what you're looking for in it. (The greek mythology side works OK, though.)

rachelcat

Hi sapienza:

Here's a little info on the astrological atributions of the Celestial. The majors are the same as the Golden Dawn/Thoth, but the minors are different, but they are organized and sensible. The minors also include fixed star constellations (which I know nothing about!).

I'm sure getting the set with the book would be worthwhile.

Here is a list of attributions to help you decide if you want it!

Attachments

• Celestial Tarot Astrological Attributions.doc
    59 KB · Views: 138

sapienza

Thanks for the feedback. It would definitely annoy me if the system was too different to my approach. I'll definitely read up before I decide and if I do make the purchase I'll definitely get the set, not just the deck.

Jannelientje

For a very long time I want to buy a celtic themed tarot deck. Their are two candidats, and I only can have one, so you will have to talk me out of buying one of them. The Celtic Wisdom Tarot has been on my wishlist since forever, but I resisted it because it is so very expensive. I do not really mind the alterations from RWS, since I am not yet that familiar with RWS. because I sold my cpoy because I did not have any feeling of it. I have merely worked with runes and the Druid Animal Oracle, and now I want to rediscouver tarot. The other possible candidate is the Llewellyn Tarot. I really want a tarot set that can expand my knowledge of celtic myth, and a tarot set with celtic mythology to help me understand tarot better.

Celtic Wisdom Tarot: I love the fact that every card is related to a myth, since I have a problem with understanding abstract RWS symbolism. I am very familiar with celtic mythology, so learning the system will not be such a hazard. Downsides: price + weird correspondence between certain card meanings/tittles and their stories.

Llewellyn Tarot: beautiful artwork, more appealing that the CWT, and much cheaper as well (between 10-20 euro's). Downsides: only Welsh mythology, does not include the Irish stories. Moreover, and this poses a real worry, I am not sure that the minor arcana are also linked to myths and are very much RWS-based.

Help me, talk me out of buying at least one of these decks!

Cielo

Help!!!!!!!!

I'm on the verge of orderering the Haindl....I don't even like it...it is all confusing and weird but I'm soooo drawn to it! I want it! BAD!!!!! Please tell me why I shouldn't get it!!! :D

And the Fenestra Tarot....gah! Do I need another watercolor deck like that? NO! But it's sooo pretty!!!! *sob* Help me, AT family, help help help!!!! :D :D :D

Nina*

The Haindl is as good as impossible to read because of those minors; they almost all look the same.....

But God, it's incredible beautiful... ;)

Sorry hon!

Little Baron

Oh, Cielo. I recently bought the Haindl. And it really is quite beautiful. Remember that it has kind-of-scenic pips, so if you like them to be totally scenic, it might be a problem. And it has keywords! Helvetica and I took a walk through the suit of stones one evening and it was quite charming.
However, if you have read my views on the books by Pollack, you might want to hold ou for them. I began to read them and thought they were a load of speculative nonsence. That may save you a couple of quid.

So I can only half-de-enable you by saying that from what I have seen of the Fenestra, it looks like another 'nothing special, wishy-washy token deck'. Nothing to write home about there, I would think.

LB

la-luna

Ok lets see what these informations can do.

The deck uses a complex mixture of symbology (i-ching, runes and Hebrew alphabet).
The Minors are not really what you could called illustrated and could to some look barren and repetitive.

The faces personages in the fenestra look/are ambivalent and the borders take in a large part of the cards

connegrl

Haindl is deep and dark and not for eveyone. Fenestra....baaa. Nothing new there. The only thing good about it is the colors. Its a 'pretty deck'. I had it in my hands and looked thru it and immediately traded it. Save your money.

Jen

Cielo

Yeah ok, I feel better now....lol....hmmmm......but how about the Archeon Tarot then?? :D Awww gawd....I need therapy....:D :D :D