Best way to start?

QueenxxCups

Ironic how I just answered a thread on how to start studying runes, yet I'm now asking this forum what's the best way to start studying astrology.

I have numerous books at home which I have yet to open. Is there a certain method I should follow? Should I memorize Star Signs first and progress from there? How did you learn?

Minderwiz

Your overall question is actually quite a difficult one to answer. I tried learning Astrology on three seperate occasions, the first two resulting in me giving it up (because of career pressures). I know one quite famous Astrologer who says she is on her 5th incarnation as an Astrologer.

Books are a good introduction - they whet the appetite. I started with a bit part magazine, on my first incarnation. Second time around I bought Nick Campion's Practical Astrologer. However, once again I dropped out. Third time round I was stimulated to resume Astrology by an Astrological slot on a psychic TV programme my wife watched. This time I resolved to see it through and I signed up for a distance learning course. This was not as prestigious as that Dave (Dadsnook2000) did but it did what I wanted, gave me a disciplined framework to work through. That course also introduced me to Horary and Medical Astrology which led me into traditional Astrology.

When I first started to learn, 40+, there really was only one approach to Astrology of any note - the psychological approach of character delineation. Astrology much before 1900 was seen, even by Astrologers, as being fatalistic, superstitious and full of concepts that were positively medieval. That view has now changed quite a bit. Those who practice the modern variety are increasingly interested in their tradition, even if they don't adopt the methods or philosophy. What's more their is a first cousin - Vedic Astrology, the Astrology of India, which was largely influenced by (and influenced) the Classical Greek approach of 2000 years ago. Unlike Western Astrology, it did not reach death's door and still has a rich oral tradition as well as many books.

That's rather a digression but their approach is quite different, especially when it comes to signs. so you have something of a choice that I didn't have. I'd suggest you start with the Modern approach, because there's more introductory material but with the recognition that it's no longer the only way to do Astrology.

In terms of the order of learning:

The Seventeenth Century Astrologer, William Lilly took the following order in his text book:

Learn how to cast a chart as your first step. Astrology is largerly concerned with how to interpret or 'judge' a chart so you should know how one is actually 'erected' or cast. The process is essentially the same, whatever your approach and even though you may use a computer for 99.99% of your charts, knowing how to do it manually introduces you to the geocentric view of the heavens and also teaches you something about practical geography.

Lilly then goes on to look at the three components of a chart in this order:

The Houses
The Planets
The Signs

and then a section on how these inter-relate (though nowhere near to the extent of a modern introductory book such as Parker's Astrology.

Lilly's approach is still a good one, even if you don't follow his interpretations - though these would be reasonably familiar to a modern student, apart from what would seem a bizarre view of signs, the omission of the outer planets (for obvious reasons) and the apparent lack of psychology (though it's actually in there but not in a Jungian form - again for obvious reasons).

Broadly speaking, Astrologers up to the eighteenth Century were more concerned with prediction of events (whether they consistently got that right is open to a lot of debate), rather than character delineation. So we might term their Astrology as event orientated. Modern Astrologers are more concerned with counseling individuals and thus inner motivations - though they would certainly argue that the two aims are by no means entirely separate. So another question you have to ask yourself is 'What do I want to do with my Astrolgy?'

If you want to go into Astrology in any detail, then you need to look round for an appropriate course. If, like me, you are looking at it for 'recreational purposes' then you will content yourself with looking round for one or two good books and making use of online resources.

Libra8ca

I started learning with my own horoscope! I got my horoscope done by a well known astrologer (natal chart plus transits for 1 year); the horoscope came with a booklet explaining basic info about planets, signs, houses and transits. Using this booklet and my chart I started memorizing the signs, planets etc and figuring out how all of this applies to my chart; basically "reverse engineering" my horoscope report. After I had figured out all I could from the booklet and my chart, I started buying books to learn more :)

QueenxxCups

Minderwiz-- Thank you for the advice and information. I think the hands-on approach to doing my own chart first would help me out the most. I will look into Lilly's works as well.

Libra8ca-- Thank you too. Who was the astrologer? How do you know who is reputable?

Libra8ca

QueenxxCups said:
Libra8ca-- Thank you too. Who was the astrologer? How do you know who is reputable?

It was Hassan Jaffer - I just saw an add in a magazine and it appears that he has been on TV shows and has had contact with famous people so I figured he should be reasonably good. I have to add that this was 10 years ago and I was going through a difficult time and didn't have the resources to check out a lot of astrologers.

Minderwiz

'Reverse engineering' can be extremely illuminating and can show how the mind of an Astrologer works and how they see symbols.

There are one or two caveats though:

Firstly, as you recognise, there's the issue of determining whether your 'professional' is any good. One way is to look and see if they've any Astrological qualifications, you will also get lists of 'approved' Astrologers from the various awarding bodies. TV appearances may be a good guide but you should still check qualifications.

Secondly, quite a few professionals use Solar Fire or other software and simply print out a standard report, sometimes with a little modification. So check that you are getting a proper private reading. They usually charge more for private readings but it can be worth it.

Thirdly even reverse engineering requires some knowledge - so you will also need to do some reading, and some structured learning.

Finally, it may help you learn something of natal Astrology as it applies to you - the trick is to then apply it to others and indeed to move into other areas of Astrology.

Good luck and enjoy it!

hunter

key elements of the zodiac and Classical Astronomy

I got this book at a used bookstore, today.

http://www.amazon.com/Key-Elements-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281317638&sr=8-1

Key Elements of the Zodiac
Virginia Kay Miller

It's a workbook on the 4 elements and the quadruplicities/modes and how they apply to the 12 zodiac signs. All the info is immediately applicable to reading tarot minor arcana. I also googled quadruplicities to supplement the book.

Then I'm going to move onto an equally solid study of the 7 wanderers.

This book is VERY, VERY Christian but I want it. It's a highschool homeschool curriculum where the student creates a field guide of what can be seen with the naked eye.

http://www.classicalastronomy.com/On_line_Ordering.asp

Signs & Seasons: Understanding the Elements of Classical Astronomy
Fourth Day Press (January 2007)
Jay Ryan
ISBN-10: 0979221102

Minderwiz

It's difficult to comment on the Virginia Miller book, given the lack of information on Amazon, though I have seen a reference to it in the Mountain Astrologer article

http://www.mountainastrologer.com/standards/new_to_astro/beginners/2.html

The other book does allow a ten page sample and as you say it is very very Christian but the material seems quite good as an introduction to Astronomy. I particularly liked the references to classical sources. I do think that all Astrology students should have at least a basic grasp of Astronomy as it relates to the solar system, though we do need to remember that Astrology is a divinatory science, and the symbolic meanings are not found in modern Astronomy.

hunter

I added Stephen Arroyo's Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements to my Amazon wishlist. Thanks for the link!