great books to learn astrology

sapienza

I was interested to read in this thread about peoples comments on Robert Hand's 'Horoscope Symbols'. This is a book that I've considered buying for so long now but have never been quite sure. I know his ideas have changed a lot since he wrote this book but I'm wondering......is it still worth getting a copy? Thanks :)

dadsnook2000

Robert Hand's book

Horoscope Symbols has received mixed reviews, and as you note, Robert Hand has "moved on" in terms of his astrological development and views. That does not mean that Horoscope Symbols is not a good book, it means that his interests have increasingly turned to historical research and the application of ancient astrological methods to interpretations done centuries ago and their possible usefulness today. In that research, he has also been criticized for not being more even handed in his search for material and its interpretation. But, this may be a critique that doesn't recognize that one can only do so much at any one time --- we can't expect him or anyone to provide a broad front of research and interpretation on a constant basis.

As noted by both Minderwiz and myself, Aspects in Astrology by Sue Tompkins is a very modern and well written book that one can use as a lifetime reference, as is Ebertin's CoSI for applying 3-planet midpoint structures for interpretive uses---although the latter is more a reference book than a reading book. Still, other books by Ebertin are quite striking if you like a modern approach. Dave

Minderwiz

Those are some good points - I have the Hand book but I don't use it, as like him I've moved on. By it's very nature any historical research into a 3000 year tradition is going to be selective, and will to some be seen as ignoring more important areas and as Dave, so rightly says, a small team cannot maintain consistent output on a broad front.

Ebertin came up with a simplified version of the Planetary Pictures, used by Witte and the Austrian School (which in turn is a variant and update of the planetary picture approach found in the Greek Lots). Ebertin has been very influential and his mid-point system has had much more impact than Witte.

There's always an issue of where to put reading into your personal development plan, but Dave is right, if you go down the modern route, you will need to look at Ebertin at some point.

sapienza

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

nexus7

Yes, I do think Rob Hand's Horoscope Symbols is absolutely brilliant!
I started off with the Parkers' lavishly-illustrated cooffee-table book, which was a great intro to astrology, though it does not reallyhave 'proper' ephemerides.