What's That Thing The King of Pents. Is Using As A Foot Rest?

Abrac

His left foot is resting on the neck of some kind of animal. Does anyone know what it's supposed to be?

Just noticed this.

-fof

Rosanne

Hi- I have always thought he was resting his foot on a Knights Helmet/Salade. The Bevor is closed(faceplate). In medieval times it was symbolic of hidden thought. This King is thought occasionally to be jealous- maybe thats Lancelot's Salade? Oh and I remember a helmet is supposed to represent Pluto?Hades as well(the Helmet of Darkness). ~Rosanne
Edited to add. Place reckons that it is a primitive carved bulls head like on the throne- I disagree.

Fulgour

Of the 4 Kings this is the only one "showing" any armour.
The left foot only too ~ nothing implies he is fully suited.

To me... I see the head of a Boar.

Abrac

Now that you mention it Fulgour, it does look like a boar's head. I thought it was a large dog. The symbolism would work in either case. Symbolically, the thing that seems important, to me anyway, is the head.

-fof

Fulgour

Hi :) fof ~ Did you notice too, of ALL the Court Cards...
The King of Pentacles is the only one holding the symbol
of his/her Element in his LEFT hand... very cool indeed.

Abrac

Hmmm......yes in-dee-dee.

Rosanne

Hehe I have looked at other versions, and I recant that is not a Helmet, that is a Head of Thoth (I thought it might have been a spinx head):D :D :D Not a Boar at all Fulgour!!! Now is that not a putdown to ol Crowley or not?~Rosanne

Rosanne

Found a Picture - not very clear though sorry. I am delighted to have made this discovery ROTFL. ~Rosanne

Attachments

• Thoth.jpg
    Thoth.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 507

Vetch

Honestly, to me it looks like an armadillo.
Still puzzled.

Amazon

I believe that the King of Pentacles rests his foot on a Tortoise. Whereas the King of Cups shows the head of a Turtle on the right side of the card.

The tortoise is an earthly symbol/animal that lives on land & is slow & methiodical much like the King of Pentacles. This King being quite grounded acknowledges the tortoise by resting his foot on it.

The turtle is a water symbol/animal as it swims in the sea. It represents creativity (that is perhaps hidden) which is a big part of water sign people. This King being aloof & somewhat detached does not see the turtle's head rising out of the water as he is looking the other way.

Amazon