The red "thing" on Queen of Pentacle's crown?

Helen_08

I have done lots of searching (probably in the wrong places) but can't find a reference to this.
Please could someone help and tell me what the red thing/object is on her crown/bonnet? Is it a bird, a magnet, or what?
This has really got me stumped ... would love to hear about what it is and what it symbolises.

Rosanne

Hi Helen- Robert Place says in his book it is a flower and leaves. It is hard to know and we cannot for sure- but I think it is a crude attempt at a winged Sphinx, which ties in with the Suit of Earth, Ra the God of the Rising Sun and royal dignity are part of that particular symbol. One sort of Sphinx has a ram's head instead of a Man's head- look to the armrest decoration- if it was a ram's head on the winged Sphinx it would mean 'silence'
~Rosanne

Teheuti

It is supposed to be a winged goat's head indicating her association with Capricorn (or 21° Sagittarius to 20° Capricorn). It's easier to see on Westcott's drawings of the Court Cards.

Mary

Abrac

Wow, cool thread. Here's the Queen of Pentacles from the Golden Dawn Tarot. Notice the winged goat across her chest.

Rosanne

Thanks Mary, thanks Abrac- there you go I always thought it was a ram not a goat on the armrest- appreciate the correction!
~Rosanne

re-pete-a

the goat can also indicate Innitation into a sect,which could be why the goats head is red winged and on the head,indicating higher spiritual/mental powers.
these thoughts were inspired by a look at the thread posted bearing another type of tarot card. posted by abrac
________
MEXICO HOTELS

Helen_08

Thank you all for your guidance. it has led me off in all directions of further studies.
Being new to studying the tarot, I find that it can be a bit overwhelming at times, so for now I am thinking she currently wears a sun hat while she gardens :)

re-pete-a

helen-08 ,,,we believe your right,sometimes it does get a little too bright and hot while digging out our weeds in our mental garden,at least your out there and not asleep,we're happy to see you out and about.If you find any golden pretties you gotta share!ok?
________
Norbert reithofer

Willow Huntermoon

I too believe it is a winged goat