A few thoughts about querant interaction

Shade

So, if you get a client who shakes her head at every single card, over multiple spreads, do you feel like she's not open to the reading? Do you feel like this person is in denial? There is no way that through 4 spreads nothing aligns or makes sense...

In this case WHAT DO YOU DO???

You can say something to the effect of. "From that gesture it seems you aren't resonating with what I said." If they tell you "You're wrong that doesn't sound like my job at all." you can give it one more "good college try" and rethink the cards or your narrative and look at the most basic definitions you have for those cards. If that still doesn't work it is probably best to say "It sounds like I might not be the best fit for you as a reader."

This does not make you a bad reader. Amazing readers are still not the best fit for some clients.

divinerofcards

You can say something to the effect of. "From that gesture it seems you aren't resonating with what I said." If they tell you "You're wrong that doesn't sound like my job at all." you can give it one more "good college try" and rethink the cards or your narrative and look at the most basic definitions you have for those cards. If that still doesn't work it is probably best to say "It sounds like I might not be the best fit for you as a reader."

This does not make you a bad reader. Amazing readers are still not the best fit for some clients.

Thank you. *sigh* in this case, it was at a tarot party, and she wore a frown from the second she sat across from me. Usually I just keep my eyes to the cards and from my peripheral vision check for physical queues from the client. This weekend, this chick just kept pushing her face left to right, didn't matter how many cards I laid down. I knew she was a tough case, but kept on reshuffling and laying cards down. In the end I told her I would read her again later, that there must be a disconnect, but in the end I didn't push it. I do feel she was just in denial.

In most paid individual cases, I just discount the reading (doesn't bother me to do this) but at a tarot card "wine and divine" it just felt like she was not given her money's worth. I won't dwell on it, but was wondering how others deal with it.

Thank you, Shade, for your take on this!

nisaba

I'm sorry, I don't believe I am honestly able to give you the kind of reading you are looking for. Perhaps you could find another reader who can.

A very polite hint that they could go elsewhere. And a very subtle put-down that they can't call you for, too <wink>.

Grizabella

So, if you get a client who shakes her head at every single card, over multiple spreads, do you feel like she's not open to the reading? Do you feel like this person is in denial? There is no way that through 4 spreads nothing aligns or makes sense...

If I had a client who did that through multiple spreads, all in the same session, I think I'd offer to give them a Rider Waite and some coupons for Tarot lessons from me with a discounted price and sweetly suggest to them that getting to know the cards themselves might make for a better understanding. And if they wanted to schedule another reading with me if tell them to bring that RWS to the reading. What the hey? Couldn't hurt, could it?