Attention, trimmers: What are your trimming tools of choice?

FLizarraga

Good to know!

Hey goofy, if I'm a pro, so are you, because the fancy sounding rounder I named is the one in your second link! I also have the 5mm you linked, and the same one in the 3mm version (Extra Small, maybe?). So I'm El Cheapo too. I'm only thinking of the expensive 2mm cutters at this point. ;)

Oh, I see. But the link gave a different price, I think... :bugeyed:

The "small" selection on the Sun-Star is 3mm according to their packaging, at least. I wish I could see examples of a 3mm and 2mm cut next to each other to compare, so I know if I should even bother pining for a smaller rounder!

I was SURE it was 2.5mm, but of course I can't find it now in the description. That one is plenty small, IMHO. It's the one I use for smaller, narrower decks that need to keep the corners square-looking.

I don't think the difference would be worth that much money, anyhow.

kalliope

Oh, I see. But the link gave a different price, I think... :bugeyed:

I was SURE it was 2.5mm, but of course I can't find it now in the description. That one is plenty small, IMHO. It's the one I use for smaller, narrower decks that need to keep the corners square-looking.

I don't think the difference would be worth that much money, anyhow.

The ones I linked to were very expensive, I agree! :bugeyed: But the ones I already have are the ones you do. So thanks for the de-enabling on the fancy expensive 2-2.5mm rounders. I'm sure you're right that the difference would be minimal. Whew! :joke:

And as for why I said 3mm for the Sun-Star, I was just going by the pictures of the packaging on Amazon, since I didn't remember. It looks like the three sizes on it are 3mm, 5mm, and 8mm.

FLizarraga

I wonder why I thought it was 2.5mm and not 3. My visual memory for this sort of thing is pretty good, although obviously not infallible...šŸ˜€

Scarlet Woodland

Protecting trimmed edges

Hiya, I've just trimmed for the first time (Wildwood BTW and thank goodness I did!) and the edges feel a little more vulnerable to me...

Consequently I was just wondering if anyone 'treats' their trimmed edges with anything to protect them... wish there was a title card on this deck I could have a play with.

G6

Edged White Border with White or Color?

ugh, sorry, wrong thread again! :)

FLizarraga

Hiya, I've just trimmed for the first time (Wildwood BTW and thank goodness I did!) and the edges feel a little more vulnerable to me...

Consequently I was just wondering if anyone 'treats' their trimmed edges with anything to protect them... wish there was a title card on this deck I could have a play with.

Sorry, I have been busy and not paying attention to my own threads...

I gently smooth them down with fine grit sandpaper when they are a bit irregular, but other than that I don't treat the trimmed edges with anything.

But I guess edging them could at least make them feel less "vulnerable," at least in one's mind. :)

Scarlet Woodland

Sorry, I have been busy and not paying attention to my own threads...

I gently smooth them down with fine grit sandpaper when they are a bit irregular, but other than that I don't treat the trimmed edges with anything.

But I guess edging them could at least make them feel less "vulnerable," at least in one's mind. :)

Thanks Flizarraga :)

I've now trimmed a couple others and they feel fine... think it's just something about the cardboardy wildwood. Will take your suggestion and give it a gentle sanding which should do the trick. If still feels a bit scuffable I have some metallic ink pads coming so can always give them a swipe with the barely there silver.

Ta Muchethly :thumbsup:

McFaire

First Trim

I finally took the plunge and started hacking up favorite decks. I'm so glad I did!

I chose Fiskars SureCut TripleTrack because it has a thin wire guideline that makes it easy to see exactly where the blade will cut. I got the 9" because I have a bigger rotary Fiskar which is rather bulky. I wanted something small that was easy to make room for on my desk.

I found the SureCut at Michael's, half off with their weekly coupon, under $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-SureC...444585458&sr=8-10&keywords=fiskar+tripletrack

I'm very happy with the new one. The rotary cuts better, but it is an older model and lacks the high precision I need for Tarot cards.

update: I've cut four or five decks with this tool now and I really like it.

MoonGypsy

Thanks Flizarraga :)

I've now trimmed a couple others and they feel fine... think it's just something about the cardboardy wildwood. Will take your suggestion and give it a gentle sanding which should do the trick. If still feels a bit scuffable I have some metallic ink pads coming so can always give them a swipe with the barely there silver.

Ta Muchethly :thumbsup:

Maybe i did something wrong, but when i have tried sanding the edges [gently with very fine grit] i found it made the edges rather soft and more vulnerable, so i haven't tried it on any other decks. But i think the world of Flizzy's trimming skills, so maybe it was the cardstock on the deck i tried; or even though i thought i was being gentle, maybe i should have taken an even lighter touch?

FLizarraga

Maybe i did something wrong, but when i have tried sanding the edges [gently with very fine grit] i found it made the edges rather soft and more vulnerable, so i haven't tried it on any other decks. But i think the world of Flizzy's trimming skills, so maybe it was the cardstock on the deck i tried; or even though i thought i was being gentle, maybe i should have taken an even lighter touch?

If one sands the cards one by one that's usually what happens. I try to sand the whole deck as a block.

Although with the Vampire Tarot (Place's), even doing it to the whole deck and with the lightest touch, the edges basically exploded :bugeyed:....