When people push you to do readings

tapasr_57772aeb7

"You can ask me anything. ..for $20.00"

JMI_Tarot

Hi Gregory..... what I am saying when I say the tarot protocol is to refrain from repeated readings is that it is too easy to become obsessed with asking the tarot over and over again seeking the answer that you want, or mistrusting the message....sometimes people get "hooked" on getting readings for every little concern instead of taking responsibility for their own lives....there is a danger inherent in this attitude of "free wheeling" readings.... that as tarot readers we are all obliged to acknowledge and disdain. I hope that makes sense....it is rather difficult to express.

That's interesting. And you explained it very clearly here. It's something we should all be aware of.

It's one thing when its people are hitting you up constantly for free readings and as a reader you enable this behaviour.
But it is, to be honest, trickier when its a paying customer because it's pretty steady income yet irresponsible and unethical to encourage it.

gregory

Hi Gregory..... what I am saying when I say the tarot protocol is to refrain from repeated readings is that it is too easy to become obsessed with asking the tarot over and over again seeking the answer that you want, or mistrusting the message....sometimes people get "hooked" on getting readings for every little concern instead of taking responsibility for their own lives....there is a danger inherent in this attitude of "free wheeling" readings.... that as tarot readers we are all obliged to acknowledge and disdain. I hope that makes sense....it is rather difficult to express.
Ah, fair enough - the use of the word protocol here was strange - it suggests, to me, a codified rule - and as far as I know there is no such thing in tarot. The idea that constant reading, especially about the same issue or relationship, is a bad idea is one I entirely agree with - there are actually some members here who do it constantly, and it worries me. I know it's none of my business, but I feel a concern for them, just the same.

But that isn't quite the issue here - it is people telling others that we will read for them - for the first time even - without asking our permission.

JMI_Tarot

But that isn't quite the issue here - it is people telling others that we will read for them - for the first time even - without asking our permission.

I think in the original post she described 2 problems and the first was friends asking for repeated readings because they were experiencing difficult times. :)

Ruby Jewel

That's interesting. And you explained it very clearly here. It's something we should all be aware of.

It's one thing when its people are hitting you up constantly for free readings and as a reader you enable this behaviour.
But it is, to be honest, trickier when its a paying customer because it's pretty steady income yet irresponsible and unethical to encourage it.

Thanks for your reply. It is always good to know that another professional agrees with us. And I also agree with you that it is hard to turn down a "paying" customer when we, ourselves, are indigent. However, we also must look into our own eyes when we look into a mirror and acknowledge what they reflect back to us of our innermost self. It is so important to be true to that self and trust in the Universe to return our karma to us. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the interests of the querent must take precedence over profits. The one is profound, and the other materialism....as a tarot reader yourself, I need not expound upon the meaning of that.

Ruby Jewel

I think in the original post she described 2 problems and the first was friends asking for repeated readings because they were experiencing difficult times. :)

Yes, this what I was referencing. Thank you.

Ruby Jewel

*takes money and pockets it*

I said you could ask. If you want an answer it's an extra $20.

....hubris tends to become daemonic....yikes!! (no laughs now.)

uraszz

I have 3 people in my life that are going through difficult times and of course I want to help them. In any way possible. And one way have been doing readings or interpreting cards for them. But when you are getting pushed to do several readings every day it gets very draining. How do you deal with this?
So I say "I really want to help you, but I get tired from doing readings that much and also all those readings won't help you" to which I get replies that I do help, it's needed so much and that I don't consider how hard it is for them. Yeah, I have empathy but I have limits too..

Also one night I was visiting one of those people and had done some readings and some friends of theirs came to visit. And the person I've read for says I do tarot and tgat the friends can ask me anything. Without asking me first. So I had to say I'm not that good at it (which is true) and tgat I was tired then. So then I just seemed rude..
I just had to put my foot down still but it's pretty painful to hear that I don't help them and reject them..

I have recently ended a friendship exactly for this reason. Although I am quiet and accomadating of people's requests for readings I have to set my own boundaries to focus on my studies (esoteric and academic), work and family life. But it got to such a point that the person was literally waking me up via phonecall to get a reading. I put my foot down and said that I will not continue this circus act! I am immensely more relaxed now, though, I am sad that it had to come to such an extreme. Set your boundaries and keep in mind that you most likely are actually harming your friends by being a constant emotional crutch. They have to deal with their lives on their own. I am a firm believer that everyone is alone, regardless of the diameter of their social circle and that help must be asked for as a last resort. I don't dump my internal-baggage on others nor should they do the same thing to me

Yes doing a lot of readings does help you see the cards unfold in different situations and add to your Tarot Vocabulary but it also has the downside of taxing you with heavy emotional baggage which you don't need and might not necessarily want. So be picky if you need. It's not a crime and it's definitely not being rude

Sincerely

-uraszz