New Introductory Textbook

Minderwiz

When I wrote the Traditional Approach to Astrology thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=135390

a number of posts suggested that I write this into textbook format. Whilst flattered by the suggestions, I doubted that I could really produce something good enough but did consider it. Now that consideration is moot because just such book has been published:

On The Heavenly Spheres, A Treatise on Traditional Astrology

by Helena Avelar & Luis Ribeiro

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0866906096/ref=oss_product

(and available on other Amazon sites)

The Forward is written by Sue Ward, who is an Aeclectic member and has contributed to a couple of the threads in the Astrology section.

I have so far read the first 30 pages and I'm extremely impressed with it's approach and the excellent way in which it explains the fundamentals of Astrology in a step by step way designed to help and guide the beginner. Considering that the authors are Portuguese, the exposition in English shames many native speakers' attempts at introductory texts.

The aim of the book is to provide a basis for the understanding and appreciation of Astrology. It builds up to enable the reader to be able to read and assess a chart, not only through planets, signs and houses but the use of aspects, fixed stars, Greek Lots/Arabian Parts, Lunar Nodes and an analysis of planetary power and chart dynamics.

The explanation is based on a traditional approach, so there is a good account of the metaphysical basis of Astrology, to enable the reader to understand the 'Why' as well as the 'How'.

The Appendix section is quite large, discussing the modern planets, asteroids and other bodies, minor aspect and aspect patterns and a background to house systems. Whist many of these get more prominence in texts based on a modern approach, there is a consideration of what these bring to Astrology and the reader can make their own assessment as to whether they are useful. The authors are not against these modern innovations, though are cautious. Their main point in this regard being that Astrology is a discipline and should have an integrated structure that holds its parts together - in other words the reader should be satisfied as to how and why these should be used.

It's rather expensive but it could well be the only introductory text, or even the ONLY text that is needed to give a good grounding in Astrology.

As I read through further, I'll post a more detailed review. But at the moment it stands as being highly recommended.

franniee

Thanks for this Minderwiz!

Minderwiz

The review

As many of you will know, I first got interested in Astrology over 40 years ago but soon gave it up. Two factors were instrumental, the dependency on Jungian psychology and the use of the outer planets as co-rulers for signs. Ten years later I tried again, after the birth of my daughter and despite buying some more text books the same result occurred. The only thing I had to show for it was that I found out my Sun sign was really Libra and not Scorpio as the horoscope columns claimed. Finally 10 years ago I tried again. This time I took a correspondence course to impose some discipline on my learning and through that course I came across Horary Astrology. I was hooked! That led me on to a desire to learn about traditional techniques and that answered my concerns about the dependence on modern psychology and on the outer planets. If something like this textbook had been around when I first started Astrology there would have been no large gaps in my study.

The authors start from the presumption that Astrology should be stand alone. That is not to say that there is no ‘psychology’ but that it is a psychology inherent in the traditional basis of Astrology. There is a careful exposition of the philosophy which underlies the traditional approach and the reader is introduced to the four temperaments, choleric, melancholic, sanguine and phlegmatic, terms that are still in common use and concepts which can still be found, albeit dressed up, in psychological profiling scales such as Myers Briggs.

Unlike modern Astrology, only the seven ‘traditional’ planets are used (up to and including Saturn) and each is explained in terms of its fundamental characteristics, nature and temperament. Signs are not expressed in terms of the ‘Sun sign’ characteristics but in terms of element, mode and other traditional characteristics, such commanding or obeying, humane or bestial. The authors explain the use of the Astrological houses and why some houses carry more importance in chart interpretation.

The book looks at characteristics which are no longer used in modern Astrology but have real meaning – such as the essential dignities of triplicity and terms and accidental dignities such as combustion or being oriental/occidental (allowing a more considered assessment of the planet’s relationship with the Sun, the giver of life).

As with all introductory texts, the aspects are considered but with an emphasis on the traditional major aspects (conjunction,, opposition, trine and sextile). The multiplicity of modern minor aspects is mentioned in one of the appendices, accompanied by an explanation and the reader is left free to incorporate these if desired.

One of the problems of writing such a text is that the tradition extended over two millennia and like all living things, changed. So the techniques mentioned extend from those used in Hellenistic times, such as a greater use of triplicity rulers, and the Lots or Parts through to those used by medieval and Seventeenth Century Astrologers such as William Lilly. Of course not all these techniques were used by all the Astrologers over these two millennia and this is made clear, though perhaps a little more guidance could have been given on where to mix and match. This however is very much a minor criticism.

In well under 300 pages, it is inevitable that some things will be left out or glossed over but that is of the nature of introductory texts as a whole. So whilst I might have preferred to see a thorough natal delineation, of the type provided by William Lilly in his Christian Astrology Book 3, or some introduction to predictive Astrology (the heart of ‘real’ Astrology), I cannot point to anything that could or should be sacrificed. The book also introduces the reader to the mundane and horary branches of Astrology, which are often ignored in favour of nativities. The result would to greatly extend the length and the cost of the book. The Authors also seem to anticipate that the reader will go on to look at some of the traditional texts listed for further study and perhaps feel that what is not developed in this book will be filled in by that additional reading. However this book is so good that Avelar and Ribeiro should consider some further volumes covering nativities, horary and mundane and of course predictions.

Overall, despite the necessary limitations, I cannot recommend this book too highly. For the new student to Astrology, it is an excellent introduction, even if they ultimately decided not to follow a traditional path or even decide to incorporate the modern planets plus the dwarves, asteroids, and other bodies so beloved of modern Astrologers. At least this book will have given them knowledge of the fundamentals and enable them to make informed judgements in the use of further techniques.

rachelcat

Thank you for the extended review. I put it in my Amazon cart on your recommendation, and I read the preview yesterday. It's definitely going to be in my next order! It's going to be great to learn the real philosophy behind astrology. And the practical applications. I can't wait!

Minderwiz

rachelcat,

The only thing I was unable to make a judgement on was how it would seem to someone starting out. I think it covers what's necessary and can't see anything obvious that isn't properly explained.

However as you work your way through please post a question (or more) about anything you are not sure of or want some more detailed explanation. Please also remember it's a textbook and as with all text books it's not intended to be read from cover to cover in one go, it needs thinking about as you go.

But enjoy it because there is nothing else like it on the market!

sapienza

Thanks Minderwiz, the books sounds great. I will look into getting myself a copy I think. :)

rif

Sounds like a nice supplement to Frawley and Lilly. :D

I started with Barclay's horary book, but there are still basics I wouldn't mind learning more about.

I have seen the authors' website and blog before, and it's quality material, so I am not surprised the book is good quality as well.

Thanks for the info!

Minderwiz

Olivia Barclay did a great deal to get the tradition resurrected. I have her 'Horary Astrology Rediscovered' and whilst in retrospect it has flaws, you have to remember that she was one of the first people to do any research into traditional methods - we owe her a debt of gratitude.

Helena and Luis also contribute to the Tradition Journal, and as you say, their material is real quality. They are seriously GOOD!

Marchal

Ordered it. Doh - I did not want to spend any more money on books so soon.
:)

Minderwiz

To those who have ordered the book, it would be good to hear your impressions once it has arrived and you get stuck in.

As you read through I'm sure that some of you will have questions, so again feel free to post them in the thread and I or others will try to answer,

I'm sure that those interested in a traditional approach, or simply learning about the real basis for Astrology