Synastry charts

LovelyMissAries

Hey guys!

Lately I've been weening myself off Tarot and delving more and more into astrology. The problem is I'm so overwhelmed by all the new information I've discovered that it doesn't make enough sense to me to where I can explain it (as I love going on about this to my friends, esp. the skeptics ;) )

What I'm really interested in learning is how to read synastry charts. I know it's a really general question but I was wondering if anyone could explain the meaning of trine, conjunct, square aspects mean? I am aware that trines are "good", and I thought conjunctions were as well... but perhaps those are the conjunctions that create friction in relationships? And squares are challenges.

I'd like to know what squares are impossibly to overcome in synastry charts (meaning the relationship will never work), and I'd also like to know what unique aspects to look for when doing synastry charts as well.

PS. If anyone is experienced in synastry and asteroids (ceres, chiron, juno, vestas... psyche, eros, etc.) I have questions about that as well.

Minderwiz

Learning Astrology can be quite challenging, because you soon hit a point where you have to start putting it together - what DOES Saturn in Gemini sextile Jupiter in Leo REALLY mean and HOW does that differ between Houses.....

Synastry is a very interesting area BUT, I really don't advise going into it till you are comfortable reading a natal chart - indeed you HAVE to be able to read a natal chart well before you can do any meaningful synastry. Now you only say that you have 'lately' been weaning yourself of Tarot and into Astrology, so I'm guessing here that you are still fairly new to even natal chart reading.

The best way forward is:

1) Increase your ability with natal charts by reading the natal charts of the two people you are interested in. Do this purely as a natal reading and write down your views, of each of them in no more than one side

2) Ask yourself from the natal readings, whether you think they would get on in the type of relationship that you think is relevant to them. Don't bother with Astrology here, simply go on what you feel from the readings

3) Now look at how the two charts interrelate by either putting them side by side, or if you have a suitable computer program, constructing a couple of biwheels, one with person A as the inner and person B the outer rings and the other with person B as the inner ring and Person A the outer ring.

4) Now start to look where Person B's Ascendant, MC and planets lie in relation to Person B - that is in which of Person A's houses they lie. This will give you an idea of where Person B is likely to play a role in the life of Person A. At this stage, and indeed for really ALL of your comparison, what you are looking at is Ascendant, Moon, Sun, Venus, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn in that order (if it's a work relationship then include the MC). Ignore the outer planets unless the two are of different generations and even then don't place much weight on them. What you are interested in is the personal planets.

5) Aspect contacts can be looked at next. I used to take the type of aspect as being of prime importance, however now I feel that what is important is that what matters is that having some contacts, is better than no contacts. All relationships have tensions, indeed a raft of squares doesn't spell doom, they may show that the two are thriving on the tension - and deciding on that depends entirely on your reading of their natal character.

6) Modern Astrology often sees squares and oppositions as tensions, trines and sextiles as 'easy' and conjunctions as mixed. That's reasonable but as you get into Astrology you learn that it's the planets involved that determine the relationship of an aspect. Moon square Venus is a totally different relationship than Saturn square Mars and the latter may be far more visible in behaviour than the former. Even the latter though might add a dynamic that keeps the relationship alive. In other words, all sextiles and trines may lead to the pair taking each other for granted (depending on the planets involved). If the relationship is to have a future it has to go beyond initial attraction and it has to have something that will drive it and something that will allow it to develop and evolve.

7) Asteroids and indeed other bodies such as Chiron and the dwarves (sadly not yet up to seven in number) MAY add something to your chart readings, but that something will by nuances rather than prime data if you are writing as much about them as planets, Ascendant and MC, they you have the balance wrong. For a beginner they are best left alone. When you can easily do a natal chart and read it, you can start adding those in if you are still interested. You can then see if they really add anything to your reading. If they do, then use them. But if you start to use them too early before you can really use the main planets and understand how they function, you are not in a position to make a good judgement about the utility of asteroids, etc.

When I started doing synastry I ended up with pages and pages of notes, and simply confused myself. I also had difficulty picking out what was important and what was not. Keeping it simple helps you see the wood for the trees, when you are able to do that, then is the time to begin to think about the detail of the trees (but ONLY then).

Valentine Dragon

Starlight09 said:
Hey guys!

Lately I've been weening myself off Tarot and delving more and more into astrology. The problem is I'm so overwhelmed by all the new information I've discovered that it doesn't make enough sense to me to where I can explain it (as I love going on about this to my friends, esp. the skeptics ;) )

What I'm really interested in learning is how to read synastry charts. I know it's a really general question but I was wondering if anyone could explain the meaning of trine, conjunct, square aspects mean? I am aware that trines are "good", and I thought conjunctions were as well... but perhaps those are the conjunctions that create friction in relationships? And squares are challenges.

I'd like to know what squares are impossibly to overcome in synastry charts (meaning the relationship will never work), and I'd also like to know what unique aspects to look for when doing synastry charts as well.

PS. If anyone is experienced in synastry and asteroids (ceres, chiron, juno, vestas... psyche, eros, etc.) I have questions about that as well.

You should first start studying your own natal chart, to understand yourself first, and than look at synastry charts later. It takes two to tango, however if there are no CONTACTS in synastry (any kind), there will be NO TANGO.

Minderwiz wrote you and excellent guide, I just want to ad one little piece. The importance of Sun/Moon midpoint in any horoscope is an indicator of a relationship - where it is, when it gets activated, which planet lights it up, and so forth.

You always need to analyze the two horoscopes alone, as what kind of developmental tensions in early home the owner of the chart went through and how it might manifest/reflect in adult relationships.

great beginner books are from Steven Forrest and Jodie Forrest: The inner sky, Skymates, and other books... They are simple and easy to understand to any starter in astrology.

As just a recommendation, you should start with the planets to do your starting analyzes, the Asteroids just reinforce their message anyway, so you do not need them.

LovelyMissAries

Minderwiz said:
Learning Astrology can be quite challenging, because you soon hit a point where you have to start putting it together - what DOES Saturn in Gemini sextile Jupiter in Leo REALLY mean and HOW does that differ between Houses.....

OH, I know. I am tangled up in all kinds of yarn trying to piece this together. This is so much more than the flimsy daily 'scopes in newspapers! I am genuinely appreciating the skill it takes to analyze these charts!

Synastry is a very interesting area BUT, I really don't advise going into it till you are comfortable reading a natal chart - indeed you HAVE to be able to read a natal chart well before you can do any meaningful synastry. Now you only say that you have 'lately' been weaning yourself of Tarot and into Astrology, so I'm guessing here that you are still fairly new to even natal chart reading.

Basically... if the lines were not color coded as they are on Astro.com, I would have no idea what a square, conjunction looks like, etc.

The best way forward is:

1) Increase your ability with natal charts by reading the natal charts of the two people you are interested in. Do this purely as a natal reading and write down your views, of each of them in no more than one side

Check.

2) Ask yourself from the natal readings, whether you think they would get on in the type of relationship that you think is relevant to them. Don't bother with Astrology here, simply go on what you feel from the readings.

Check.

4) Now start to look where Person B's Ascendant, MC and planets lie in relation to Person B - that is in which of Person A's houses they lie. This will give you an idea of where Person B is likely to play a role in the life of Person A. At this stage, and indeed for really ALL of your comparison, what you are looking at is Ascendant, Moon, Sun, Venus, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn in that order (if it's a work relationship then include the MC). Ignore the outer planets unless the two are of different generations and even then don't place much weight on them. What you are interested in is the personal planets.

What are/is the main factor which will tell me the role they play? Is it the aspects, or what houses the planets fall in? As a side question, what is the MC/IC good for?

5) Aspect contacts can be looked at next. I used to take the type of aspect as being of prime importance, however now I feel what matters is that having some contacts, is better than no contacts. All relationships have tensions, indeed a raft of squares doesn't spell doom, they may show that the two are thriving on the tension - and deciding on that depends entirely on your reading of their natal character.

If it's not too exasperating, can you give me an example of the kind of squares which are "positive" (as in the couple is thriving on the tension) vs. one that will create trouble?

6) Modern Astrology often sees squares and oppositions as tensions, trines and sextiles as 'easy' and conjunctions as mixed. That's reasonable but as you get into Astrology you learn that it's the planets involved that determine the relationship of an aspect. Moon square Venus is a totally different relationship than Saturn square Mars and the latter may be far more visible in behaviour than the former. Even the latter though might add a dynamic that keeps the relationship alive. In other words, all sextiles and trines may lead to the pair taking each other for granted (depending on the planets involved). If the relationship is to have a future it has to go beyond initial attraction and it has to have something that will drive it and something that will allow it to develop and evolve.

Although I understand Saturn is the disciplinarian planet, if it's trine with a softer one like Venus... that would be an example of the relationship lasting beyond the initial attraction, right? Then again I'm wondering if it would stifle Venus' natural expression of affection.

7) Asteroids and indeed other bodies such as Chiron and the dwarves (sadly not yet up to seven in number) MAY add something to your chart readings, but that something will by nuances rather than prime data if you are writing as much about them as planets, Ascendant and MC, they you have the balance wrong. For a beginner they are best left alone. When you can easily do a natal chart and read it, you can start adding those in if you are still interested. You can then see if they really add anything to your reading. If they do, then use them. But if you start to use them too early before you can really use the main planets and understand how they function, you are not in a position to make a good judgement about the utility of asteroids, etc.

Well, I will probably leave those alone actually. I was interested in them because I found a site that summarized all the possible Psyche/Eros connections and then I started looking at everyone's Psyches/Eros and comparing them. I still have no idea what they mean, ha. :)

When I started doing synastry I ended up with pages and pages of notes, and simply confused myself. I also had difficulty picking out what was important and what was not. Keeping it simple helps you see the wood for the trees, when you are able to do that, then is the time to begin to think about the detail of the trees (but ONLY then).

Picking out what is important and what isn't is the biggest deal for me (of course aside from learning the meanings and personalities of each planet).. so far I've determined Uranus and Jupiter are kind of flops. Anyways, I can't thank you enough for replying in depth like this!

Minderwiz

Starlight09 said:
Basically... if the lines were not color coded as they are on Astro.com, I would have no idea what a square, conjunction looks like, etc.

Look at the elements, modes and gender of the signs

Trine = Signs of the same element, e.g. Venus in Taurus is trine Satun in Capricorn, as both are Earth signs

Sextile = Signs of the same gender but different elements, e.g. Venus in Scorpio is sextile Saturn in Capricorn as both are female signs, but Scorpio is Water and Capricorn is Earth.

Opposition = Signs of the same Mode, and the same Gender , e.g. Venus in Scorpio is in opposition to Saturn in Taurus. Both are Fixed signs and Both are Female signs - notice that oppositions have a large degree of commonality

Squares = Signs of the Same Mode. , e.g., Venus in Taurus is Square to Saturn in Leo - the only thing that the signs share is that the are fixed - the irresistible force meting the immovable object.

Now modern texts will talk about angles of separation - 120 degrees, 60 degrees, 180 degrees and 90 degrees. That is a measure of quantity, the definitions I've given are a measure of quality. Now you will find Astrologers who argue that only the angle matters and use out of sign aspects. Originally out of sign aspects were a contradiction in terms - aspects were sign related. As you get into Astrology you will begin to make judgements about WHEN to use out of sign aspects (I require a perfection in at most 2 degrees).

You will also learn how much 'error' to allow - the orbs (these should apply to the planets not the aspect but modern practice is to consider only the aspect)

Starlight09 said:
What are/is the main factor which will tell me the role they play? Is it the aspects, or what houses the planets fall in? As a side question, what is the MC/IC good for?

The most important thing is the Houses.

Using my wife and myself as an example:

My wife's Sun lies in my 5th House (the Sun is the will, or life force, the fifth is romance, doing things together, children....
My Sun lies in her 5th House (repeat)

Our Suns are in an out of sign sextile - but only by 15 minutes

My Wife's Ascendant lies in my eleventh House (Ascendant = The person, mind, spirit and body 11th =friends, Hopes, Dreams Support and Help

My Ascendant is on her 3rd cusp, 3rd = communication, spiritual contact in a less formal sense (the third is the House of the Goddess) Her Jupiter is conjunct my Ascendant and Conjunct my Saturn (Saturn is her Sun ruler) I'll leave you to begin thinking about how these contacts might manifest

My Wife's Venus lies in my fourth House of Home and family
My Venus lies in her fifth of Romance, children and shared hobbies and recreation.

My Venus is conjunct her Venus by Sign.

Our Moons create the 'problem, lying in each other's eighth House - kind interpretation, we share our possessions on an emotional level (eighth is the partner's resources) but our Moons are in adjoining signs, - there is some emotional difference, mine is in Air, ruled by Saturn, hers is in Water ruled by Jupiter - Yet Saturn and Jupiter can bring a structure approach to spiritual growth

That's just a start, but it gives you some idea of how you can begin to put an interpretation together. As you get better you can add in more factors and start to add complexity and depth.

Starlight09 said:
If it's not too exasperating, can you give me an example of the kind of squares which are "positive" (as in the couple is thriving on the tension) vs. one that will create trouble?

Taking My wife and I again, our Jupiter's are square to each other. Jupiter squares are not as hard as Saturn squares, they bring some tension, here between her need to grow through spiritual matters (Her Jupiter is exactly on her 3rd cusp, and in middle age, she developed extremely strong psychic abilities). My jupiter is in my fourth - home, bricks and mortar, land and family - much more concrete concerns for growth. These tensions though are affected by her Jupiter conjunct my Ascendant on her 3rd cusp - I can be of help to her growth. Her Venus is conjunct my Jupiter, It's her that brings to me the appreciation of home and family - a tension but one which can bring us together rather than pushing us apart.

Remove some of those other contacts, and you might have one person whose need to grow, appears 'airy fairy' to their partner, with no understanding, whilst to the other, the partner is to concerned with bricks and mortar rather than the spiritual. That's destructive. For us, it never was, and it helped me become more spiritual and gave her a foundation - my jupiter in my fourth.

Starlight09 said:
Although I understand Saturn is the disciplinarian planet, if it's trine with a softer one like Venus... that would be an example of the relationship lasting beyond the initial attraction, right? Then again I'm wondering if it would stifle Venus' natural expression of affection.

It really depends on the condition of each planet - both by sign and placement as to how this would work out. Saturn in Libra with Venus in Aquarius would bring a very constructive and strong relationship, Saturn might be the stronger but would create the structure Venus needs to express herself fully

Saturn in Leo retrograde, trine Venus in Aries presents a greater problem. Saturn is debilitated so shows up more as worry, fear, concern, which limits the capacity for action. Venus in Aries is also debilitated being in detriment The expression of Venus qualities is much more aggressive, but the Saturn trine may lead to real conflicts Venus is interested in gambling, living it up and having a good time, live for the moment! Saturn finds this very worrying and is fearful of the outcome. It might be a trine but there's an easy flow of worry and doubt in one direction and an easy flow of the need to live it up in the other - not a good mix.

- it's the planets and their condition, not the aspect as such that matters. Modern Astrologers tend to interpret by aspect and ignore the nuances of sigh placement.

(OK that's an anthropomorphic view of the planets but hopefully you get the idea)

Starlight09 said:
Picking out what is important and what isn't is the biggest deal for me (of course aside from learning the meanings and personalities of each planet).. so far I've determined Uranus and Jupiter are kind of flops. Anyways, I can't thank you enough for replying in depth like this!

You are welcome :)

Try a simple but historically valid approach:

Use Whole sign houses (as they did in Hellenistic times and still do in Vedic Astrology

Use Aspects by sign, with only a small allowance for out of sign aspects. Don't worry too much about the angle, as long as the signs are 'right' Later on you can refine this . Even when you become experienced, that's still well worth doing as an exercise to see how it compares

Use only the major aspects (later on you can play with the others but they add nuance at most)

Use the classical planets, then have a look at Uranus and Neptune. When you're OK, move on and think about Pluto (I try not to LOL) and even the other dwarves and asteroids. You might decided to keep using them, you may drop them but get the basics right first.

LovelyMissAries

While I realize I've let this thread die off, I do have a legit question and didn't want to start another one. This can relate to synastry charts but I'm specifically asking about natal ones: Is there anyway to overcome Saturn squares? In a natal chart, or synastry chart? If so, how? Do you act the opposite of what it claims? For example, I have Sun square Saturn and Venus square Saturn (to name a few... it seems all the important planets are square with Saturn.) after reading about it, I believe (maybe that's the key word here...) it's what's hindering me all the time. Just looking for advice on how to fix that.

Minderwiz

Saturn squares, especially from a dignified Saturn (like yours) should be seen as providing the discipline and structures you need to achieve your potential. Don't fight them, use them.

dadsnook2000

Two possible Saturn solutions

Square aspects from a planet to Saturn come in two flavors. Relative to Saturn's position is the square aspect to the other planet 90 degrees ahead (in zodiac sequence) of Saturn as an opening square, or is it 270 degrees ahead (in zodiac sequence) of Saturn as a closing square?

If we view Saturn as that which cautions us and asks us to learn lessons and be responsible, then the opening square tells us that the planet there has to be a struggle to define how and why it is being limited and constrained, and once it is understood, you have to redefine how to work against those constraints and work towards adjusting the rules of that battle.

In terms of the closing square, that planet deals best with Saturn by playing a responsible role, to leading others through a structured path to their goals (or toward your goals), and be willing to take on a fathering role to help others to succeed by their terms.

The works of Rudhyar and Marc Roberston deal with Phase Relationships. Dave

LovelyMissAries

Minderwiz said:
Saturn squares, especially from a dignified Saturn (like yours) should be seen as providing the discipline and structures you need to achieve your potential. Don't fight them, use them.

My Venus Square Saturn placement at 4.49 degrees (I think... it says that's the orb with the value being -23, so I'm not sure which of those to use.) so... that interprets as generally having a strong fear of rejection, shyness (I've read the description before, but not enough to repeat it verbatim) and not feeling worthy of love. Thus, my lesson is to take more chances and go against my natural inclination to be passive? I'm just a little confused on how to turn that into a positive lesson.

Lee

Starlight, an aspect in a chart describes a condition, but it doesn't describe how that condition will manifest itself in your life. There are several other factors that influence that. You have to take into account how other chart factors come to bear, as Minderwiz has suggested. You also need to take into account that real life happens to us. Real life has a way of manifesting astrological chart factors in unexpected ways.

I think all the different astrological schools of thought would advise you that the chart is not a prison. You have the freedom to take your chart factors and use them as a tool to accomplish your goals. You also have the freedom to sigh despondently and worry about what trouble your Saturn square is going to get you into now. The choice is yours. :)

I think you're taking a particular interpretation you've read and are taking it too literally. That interpretation is only one way that factor might manifest. You might see Venus as being too soft, and Saturn providing the necessary backbone which would tend to be lacking with Venus.

EDITED TO ADD: I think this post may have been too harsh, so I apologize. Here's what I'm trying to say: the person who authored that interpretation started with the astrological principles involved, then made a mental translation of those factors into an interpretation. It seems like you're taking that interpretation, i.e. the end result of the author's mental process, and regarding that as something you're stuck with. But you don't need to do that. As Minderwiz has suggested, you can do yourself what that cookbook author did. You can look at the astrological principles and come up with something of more relevance and value to your life. That's not to say a square will necessarily be rosy, but it can be used in a positive manner. But I don't think you'll find that positive manner by focusing on a cookbook author's end result.