Grand Ellessia Tarot of Aisselle Gabegie

Pen

FINISHED CARDS TO DATE: CLICK HERE

LATEST UPDATE.... I'm offering the chance to win two decks - Aisselle's Grand Ellessia AND a vintage Grimaud Grand Etteilla - 1970s, not the very old one - in a draw to take place when all the cards are in.

The draw will be from all 78 cards in the deck excluding mine.

Pen

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=154647&page=1&pp=10

All about goats? or perhaps the rabbits could hop in there too?

We can decide as we go along. Everyone welcome, but if you haven't been following the main thread about Aisselle, please read About Aisselle on her website to find out all about her.

Post your finished cards here.

We might even get them printed by The Gamecrafter, so anyone here can buy a finished deck. The profits could go to AT and/or helping aurarcana pay for Aisselles' website.

The beauty of Gamecrafter is that the finished deck can be ordered from them online, and we can set a reasonable price.

Pen

Poker Sized Playing Cards

If you are building a deck of cards into your game, use these templates to help you do it. Poker sized playing cards are 2.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall. However, the image that you need to create will have a 1/8 of an inch bleed all the way around it, which means that the image will actually be 2.75 inches wide and 3.75 inches tall.

http://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/templates

1. Borderless cards - please upload and use a template from the link above, read instructions and watch video on the Gamecrafter site. Allow for losing the edges of your creation!

2. Un-numbered Majors and non pip (picture) Minors.

3. Artists to include titles on Majors and numbers/suit titles on Minors.

4. Any medium.

5. Resolution = 300dpi

6. Please remember to use only copyright-free images. This means images from image banks that are free, even for commercial use, or ones you buy.

Flickr and other online sharing resources are often NOT copyright-free.

(UPDATED) 3 + cards per person. After the first 3 one at a time please! We can fill in any gaps later. Post your finished cards in this thread for the time being.

Goats (Pentacles / Earth)
Tinfoil Hats (Swords /Air)
Certificates (Wands / Fire)
Tea Pot (Cups / Water)

Majors

Fool: Jack

Magician: OctavaSpera

High Priestess: goldenweb & nisaba

Empress: Aerin

Emperor

Pope: Aulruna

Lovers: Pen

Chariot: aduki

Justice

Hermit: RexMalaki

Wheel of Fortune: gregory

Strength: firefrost

Hanged Man: SloughSister

Death: gregory

Temperance

Devil: Jack

Tower: Anna

Star: Marcia959

Moon: Aurarcana

Sun: Cassandra022

Judgement

World: Pen

* King of Goats
* Queen of Goats
* Knight of Goats: OctavaSpera
* Valet of Goats

* Ten Goats
* Nine Goats
* Eight Goats
* Seven Goats
* Six Goats
* Five Goats
* Four Goats
* Three Goats
* Two Goats: Aurarcana
* Ace of Goats: RexMalaki

* King of Tinfoil Hats
* Queen of Tinfoil Hats: Marcia959
* Knight of Tinfoil Hats
* Valet of Tinfoil Hats: Aulruna

* Ten Tinfoil Hats
* Nine Tinfoil Hats:
* Eight Tinfoil Hats: gregory
* Seven Tinfoil Hats
* Six Tinfoil Hats: nisaba
* Five Tinfoil Hats
* Four Tinfoil Hats: Pen
* Three Tinfoil Hats: Anna
* Two Tinfoil Hats
* Ace of Tinfoil Hats: Pen

* King of Certificates
* Queen of Certificates
* Knight of Certificates
* Valet of Certificates: firefrost

* Ten Certificates
* Nine Certificates
* Eight Certificates: Anna
* Seven Certificates
* Six Certificates
* Five Certificates
* Four Certificates
* Three Certificates
* Two Certificates
* Ace of Certificates

* King of Teapots
* Queen of Teapots
* Knight of Teapots
* Valet of Teapots

* Ten Teapots:
* Nine Teapots: gregory
* Eight Teapots
* Seven Teapots
* Six Teapots: Marcia959
* Five Teapots
* Four Teapots
* Three Teapots: Jack
* Two Teapots: firefrost
* Ace of Teapots: Jack

Backs: Pen

Aulruna

Oh yes ... list would be great ... Aisselle's followers are so lively right now I'm really struggling to keep track. But I'd love to do a card or two...

strings of life

Hooray!

I would love to do a card or 2 as well, so count me in.

Are we going with photokat's suit selections? I kind of like those ;).

P.S. The blog is free right now, but I'd like to buy a URL at some point, some more space, etc. In time, in time.

I love the idea of donating the funds from the deck to AT :D.

OctavaSpera

For reference, I'm quoting photokat's minors from the other thread. I think they're brilliantly chosen.

photokat said:
How about the following minors:

Goats (Pentactles / Earth)
Tinfoil Hats (Swords /Air)
Certificates (Wands / Fire)
Tea Pot (Cups / Water) , since she loves her tea time!

But I don't know. I think I'd just want a deck where I might end up getting a silly card like "8 of Goats".

Haha

And ideally, FAINTING Goats! They are just so cute : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMcbtmfDrVs

About submitting cards, should we have some kind of standard? It would really only matter if we eventually want to get it printed. I'm not sure but Gamecrafter might be able to fix inconsistencies. I thought about the following:

- Images should be a minimum X by Y pixel resolution and preferably close to the standard tarot card ratio. I think 300 dpi would be too stringent for our purposes.

- Keep submissions borderless and without titles, so they can all be added later and kept consistent.

Is there a self-publishing member who can comment on card image standards? Or how was the Aeclectic collaborative deck organized? We could use that as a starting point.

I'm just thinking out loud here, probably best to straighten out these things before they get unwieldy. Professionalism is part of Aisselle's Ethical Tarot qualifications, right? :thumbsup:

gregory

For decent printing the final submissions need to be at LEAST 300 dpi. I know this from collaborative decks I have been involved with. Why is that "too stringent" ? Gamecrafter says:

When you see an image on a screen, like on this web site, it has 72 DPI or (dots per inch). That's enough for you to see something on a screen and believe it. However, when you print something to paper if you print at 72 DPI the image will look very grainy.

In the print world we use a resolution of at least 300 DPI. And on this site, we recommend all the images you upload for cards and game boards be exactly 300 DPI (no less, no more).

The AT decks were a matter of announcing the required size (220px × 350px) and telling people what was needed. They were never expected to be printed. I would like to think this one would be. For the AT ones we DID put on our own titles. If the cards are to be borderless, I would think we would have to do that; I for one do not want some alien font across my goats. :D The only decks I have been involved with where others "standardised" are done on larger cards than gamecrafter does (they say theirs are 2.75 x 3.75 inches.) (They also warn that the cards tend to end up "offset" - someone here found this a serious problem... there's a thread discussing the place, anyway)

NOT much space for a border there....

(Sorry to come over heavy handed, if I do }) *gets out big stick* - but I am currently heavily involved in organising a collaborative deck*, and have taken part in several - and these things are really important ! By the time the cards start flooding in and you realise that they simply will not work, it is too late to fix things.)

*no way am I taking on another, in case anyone had THAT little idea... :D

PS "standards" - I HOPE you don't mean standards of ARTWORK ?
Aisselle is very inclusive and would not want those of us who can't draw to be excluded ! She loves us ALL :D :angel: the dear thing.

OctavaSpera

Thank you for the information, gregory! By standards I mean technical and formatting standards, like the dpi, card size, border or not, etc. I really don't have much of a clue on the subject.

Oh, I'll try explaining the 'stringent' comment, I was thinking of a quick digital collage, being unaware of a minimum resolution I may have sent in something unworkable, say 450 x 600 px. For me it would be difficult to collage a 1600+ px image out of free stock photos. I'm now set on hand drawing :)

I would like to contribute but want to make sure that I have appropriate resources and knowledge before jumping in. My drawing skills are childish at best; I'm not advocating discrimination by setting a bar on artistic skill! Still, I am very interested in drawing my first goat!

Finally, I don't have a scanner, and don't plan to buy one. I wonder if taking a digital camera photo with strong lighting is good enough.

gregory

That is very dodgy but if you are ever so clever I guess it might work. It certainly wouldn't if I did it ! Some people in the deck I am organising are getting scanning done at Kinkos... Another person mails her finished cards to a mate. (I bet you KNOW someone with a scanner... if I were only in Chicago...)

OR - well, I do my cards as photo collage and on computer (you do NOT want to see my drawings...) - that makes it easy.

gregory

OctavaSpera said:
Oh, I'll try explaining the 'stringent' comment, I was thinking of a quick digital collage, being unaware of a minimum resolution I may have sent in something unworkable, say 450 x 600 px. For me it would be difficult to collage a 1600+ px image out of free stock photos. I'm now set on hand drawing :)
The pix by pix is not the critical thing; what IS is the 300 dpi resolution. And - It CAN be done with stock royalty free photos; I have done it, though mostly use my own photos to get exactly what I want...(mem: MUST upload that bloody card I made my SO drive miles out of his way for, so I could photograph a train station... :D)

I am creating my own private deck to print for my own self. I just looked at some of my completed cards. They are 600 x 800 pixels - BUT - crucially - at 300 dpi. Fairly similar to what gamecrafter is asking. And they print well.

OctavaSpera

Kinko's, of course! You see that I'm not thinking very hard here... I should work on some sketches instead, and leave the "standards" details to someone knowledgeable (not you, of course, as you said you're already busy)

EDIT: Hmm, I guess dpi all depends on how large you want the finished card. That's something that should be discussed for the Grand Ellessia. Do we want 2 inches x 2 2/3 inches (600x800)? Or the more standard 2 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches?

Cassandra022

This sounds quite interesting. Think I would like to contribute a couple cards as well...perhaps one drawn, one digital/photoshop...

No clue about technical standards but I agree we should have em :]