Tarot Deck Creation Study Group

truthsayer

i can see aces for lachesis and clotho but atropos cuts the thread signalling the end of life. unless the ace were to mean the beginning of the afterlife after the cutting of the thread. thus you could have lachesis cutting the thread-the new beginning of an end. the 2 is traveling to hades, 3 coming to the river styx, 4 taking the ferry across the river styx, etc. then you could have persophone and hades as king and queen of the underworld. perhaps the 10 would be the elysian fields. 5 facing cherubus the 3 headed dog at the gate.

just a few ideas.

blue_fusion

truthsayer said:
i can see aces for lachesis and clotho but atropos cuts the thread signalling the end of life. unless the ace were to mean the beginning of the afterlife after the cutting of the thread. thus you could have lachesis cutting the thread-the new beginning of an end. the 2 is traveling to hades, 3 coming to the river styx, 4 taking the ferry across the river styx, etc. then you could have persophone and hades as king and queen of the underworld. perhaps the 10 would be the elysian fields. 5 facing cherubus the 3 headed dog at the gate.

just a few ideas.

that sounds nice, but won't that make the deck a more specialized one, thus making it difficult to interpret for more general questions.... :)

truthsayer

true, but i was coming up w/ inspired ideas-not practical ones. i can't be creative and practical at the same time. it's just not practical! ;)

blue_fusion

truthsayer said:
true, but i was coming up w/ inspired ideas-not practical ones. i can't be creative and practical at the same time. it's just not practical! ;)

i'm sorry if i offended you in any way. :) i was just trying to think of a minor arcana system that interprets just as well as any regular deck. but i do see where you're coming from. and i do appreciate your idea for atopos's ace, that is a beginning to the afterlife. which, somewhat similar to the death card, may be interpreted as a a sudden abrupt, change which will lead to a great cjange in one's life. :)

truthsayer

i wasn't offended blue fusion. i was just stating a fact about how i create. i don't worry about what i'm creating making sense until i start editing for clarity. for me, to be practical and creative at the same time are like trying to blow bubblegum, rub my tummy and pat myself on the head at the same time. i tend to be so self-critical that if i get too analytical in the beginning that i kill my muse by accident! so i just try to let it flow! :)

blue_fusion

I just had an idea. We were discussing Plato’s Politeia in my Philosophy class and we chanced upon three aspects of human nature which, when properly guided, can lead to three virtues. They are: reason which leads to wisdom, mettle/spirit which leads to courage, and appetite which leads to temperance. Maybe these can be incorporated in the three suits: temperance with she who weaves, courage with she who measures, and wisdom with she who cuts.

truthsayer

yes!!!!!!!! excellent idea! i think that works in w/ what i understand of the fates.

blue_fusion

also, that way the cards will still have a general sense with regard to interpretation. :)

FeralFey

Wouldn't the aces still represent the beginning of each cycle for each suit? Since you're obviously going on the triple goddess theme, you'd HAVE to take full advantage of the whole life/death/rebirth motif, especially since you're using the Three Fates, which are steeped heavily in this concept.

But that's just my two-cents. :)

--FeralFey

blue_fusion

FeralFey said:
Wouldn't the aces still represent the beginning of each cycle for each suit? Since you're obviously going on the triple goddess theme, you'd HAVE to take full advantage of the whole life/death/rebirth motif, especially since you're using the Three Fates, which are steeped heavily in this concept.

But that's just my two-cents. :)

--FeralFey

hmm. ill use that. thanks for your input. :)