Numerology for the pips

Bernice

Your draft looks like a good start Gazel!
It's amazing that once you get a 'handle' on something, ideas start flowing and before you know it you're creating a 'system' that broadens & widens every time you think about it.

For myself, I'm still enamoured of Mels' approach, like Prudence. Mainly because it makes sense to me for the times of the early decks. And because the card meanings, whilst being definitive, also have the potential to be applied to anything.

Have you guessed?...... I love Systems, and I'm looking forward to the development of your one.

I pulled the 8 Clubs - just on the off-chance it may relate to this endeavour of yours. In Mels' pip/numerology method:
Nickname:= Perseverance:
Steady, steadfast and prudent. Inner quietude and focussed concentration. Plus it has a spiritual quality.

Gazels' draft-method:= 8. Execution (work, discipline, focus)

Great minds think alike........

Bee :)

Gazel

Hello Bee
I'm glad you like it.
The next step will be to determine how the four suits express the different values and characteristics of the numbers.
That's why I wrote "to be continued" ... and it will.
Gazel

Moonbow

Hi Gazel, I like your system and its similar to one I've used in the past:

1= Unity, Pureness, the Start, Stillness, Manifestation, Departure.

2= Duality, Coming Together, Contrary, Joining, Opposites, a Reflection/Mirror, Movement, Partnership, Pairing, Togetherness.

3= Energy, Progression, Growth, Movement, Action, Formulation.

4= Neatness, Structure, Undisturbed, Matter, Contruction, Realisation, Strict, Stability.

5= Chaos, Scattering, Emerging, Messy.

6= Harmony, Choices, Expression, Plans, Decisions, Hesitation.

7= Enlightenment, Spiritual, Decision Made, Realisation, Success, Action, Perfection, re-assessing yourself, proving yourself.

8= Balance, Evenness, Trusting, Repetition, Karma, Pacing Yourself, Staying Power.

9= Endings, Knowledge, Progression, Outcome, Inner Action.

10= Rebirth, Decisions Made, Constant Progression.

This was the backbone of what I then went on to further expand, and now I use the cards as memory and imagination snapshots as well. The system I use is more changeable and fluid as time goes on. I love systems as a starting point but also like to sometimes have no set system so that I get drawn into the cards and their interaction with each other. Sometimes the system is secondary to that.

Gazel

Moonbow* said:
Hi Gazel, I like your system and its similar to one I've used in the past ...

Hello Moonbow
Thank you for sharing.
I will see if any of your descriptions fits in with mine, (which they undoubtedly will since the systems are - as you say - similar) and try to integrate them in as "facets". Sorry - I do not know what else to call them at the time being, and I am indeed a librarian (this made me actually go change my signature).
Anyway, I think you are right that the system, or the reader following the system, should not be too rigid, so that intuition and imagination etc are not allowed in the reading.
To me this is the key not the house.
- or should I say (with Bateson): "The map is not the territory".
Excuse me for being *this* silly - think it's the weekend hitting me.
Off to watch Lost.

conversus

I have been struck by your list Gazel, and I hope that I may noodle with it for myself?

One of the notable insights that Melanchollic has underscored in his method is the notion of 5 as a sort of Bridge to the rest of the numbers of the tetractys.

There is something to be learned here in that movement from the potentially rigid environment of consolidation in the 4 to the Gracious Plenty suggested by the 6. Moving from the 4 to the 6 is to achieve much! That bridge is a Challenge, but is it always a threat?

CED

Gazel

conversus said:
I have been struck by your list Gazel, and I hope that I may noodle with it for myself?

One of the notable insights that Melanchollic has underscored in his method is the notion of 5 as a sort of Bridge to the rest of the numbers of the tetractys.

There is something to be learned here in that movement from the potentially rigid environment of consolidation in the 4 to the Gracious Plenty suggested by the 6. Moving from the 4 to the 6 is to achieve much! That bridge is a Challenge, but is it always a threat?

CED

Yes of course you may. It is not set in stone, and it is here to be shared, but out of pure curiosity I would like to see how you noodle with it.

I think you are right about the 5 as a bridge between the 4 and the 6.
It is a challenge - I think it demands quite a bit of a change of your self and your mindset to go there. It does not have to be a threat, but seeing it like that has to do with how you perceive the challenge. I guess.

Bernice

Hi Gazel, just a general enquiry. How's it going?

Gazel

Thank you for asking, Bernice.

Well, not that good, I'm afraid.

I been away from the forum doing other things.
But I've been participating in two reading circles, and that's about my activities here at Aeclectic in August.
Right now I'm at home, with a flu or a cold or whatever it is.
I'll try to get back on track when this is over.
All I feel like doing is sleeping, reading crime mysteries and eating chocolate, not that creative.

Yours truly,
G.

Bernice

Hi Gazel,

Enjoy your chocolate - put your feet up and Indulge yourself.

Wishing you better.

Lumen

Amazing!

Hi,

First I must bow to the masters, since I'm just a beginner in the art of reading Tarot. Second I must thank you for transmitting your knowledge; I'm honored.

Lastly, allow my simple and very introductory interpretation of pips in the TdM, which is the only Tarot cards I own and read.

I begin seeing the differences in the numbers and suits 2 of cups is not alike 2 of wands, or 2 of swords, nor 2 of money. I also look into the flowery arrangements in each and their connections to the majors. I begin developing my own interpretations based on numerology, illustrations, and connection to majors, and as far as I can see they match some of the interpretations found here.

This thread has provided me with more depth into reading the pips, and I thank you all for generously sharing your insights.

Melancholic, you have actually written a book on pips interpretation here.

Lumen