Tarot de Paris (17th Century)

firemaiden

We've refered to this deck on and off in dozens of other threads, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't have it's own thread, so I'm jolly well starting one.

I thought for sure someone had provided a link to the BNF (Bibliothèque Nationale de France - where the cards live) that showed beautiful big scans of all the majors, but until I find that mystical link, there are these:
  • Andy's Playing Card Museum shows many cards (including the weird Sun card with the baboon-dog-face thing that I was looking for in reference to Horapollo), and discusses some of the imagery in a very interesting article here. Part One shows Star, Bateleur, Four of Coins, Two of Cups, Chariot, Hermit, Moon, Tower ("La Foudre"), Sun, World, Wheel, and he shows some images that appear fascinatingly closely related - from the Sienna Cathedral, and Part Two shows all four aces, the ten of swords and the nine of batons, queen of batons, valet of cups, and knight of swords,

• On Mystic Eye we can also see the King of Cups, Death, and the Fool ("le Fou").

• Tom Tadforlittle's "Hermitage" has a wonderful page of comparisons showing how the Tarot de Paris, the Vandeborre Bacchus Tarot and the Viéville, which he classifies all as Belgian Tarot all relate to each other

• Lelandra includes also a few cards in a comparitive line up of "SCA appropriate decks" (LOL).

• Tarotgarden contributes scans of Two of Batons, Ace of Coins ("AR DE DENIERS" with a backwards N instead of "As", LOL - someone was not just dyslexic but also nearly analphabet), Strength and the Devil.

• Trionfi offers big beautiful clear scans of the Bateleur, Chariot, Justice (ah, now I can see it, she's two-headed!), Hermit (with rosary and bell!), Star and Moon. (Thank you Huck :))

• and finally Playing Cards on Collection a Chinese site (different copyright laws?) offers small scans of all the majors. (thank you Strange2)

But as for my mirage of the BNF site, was I dreaming??? or did such a link to the Bibliothèque Nationale de France actually exist? Searching the bnf site yields nothing.

Tell me I'm not crazy!

Note: this post was edited later, to include Huck's and Strange2's new links.

Huck

Actually it would be nice to get them in good quality. It's rather different from the Marseille and a tradition of its own value.

Gebelin stated, that "Tarot was not known in Paris" in his time, but it was there 100 years before.

Would you like, that I take your link collection with your name on a page reachable from

http://trionfi.com/0/j/

?

firemaiden

That would be fun, Huck. :)

firemaiden

So doesn't the Tarot de Paris have a funny chariot? Is there any other tarot this old where the chariot is drawn by birds? And which birds are these? A swan? A grey goose? Coupled with… a pelican? Surely there is a joke in here somewhere! The Goose/Swan is an attribute of Venus.

The chariot of VENUS is traditionally driven by swans, or doves. Here are a few images of Venus/Aphrodite in various modes of transpost:
But... in the Tarot de Paris Chariot - where is Venus?

coredil

Several edition of the Tarot de Paris?

@Huck
Maybe my previous post was not clear.
Would you mind to tell something about the provenance of the cards shown on the link you pointed to?
http://trionfi.com/01/j/i/gambler_ru/d02258.htm

I am currently waiting for a copy of the Grimaud edition from 1984 of the Tarot de Paris.
As I understand the Grimaud edition is a Photo-reproduction of the set owned by the Bibliotheque Nationale de Paris and the scans seen on the links Firemaiden has listed are scans from the Grimaud deck.
But the pictures on the trionfi site look very different from all other scans
First they do not have the red stamp from the Bibliotheque Nationale de Paris and second the drawings and coloring are very clear.
To me they even look like a "restored" version of this deck!

My question: is there, other than the Grimaud edition, an other edition of this deck or are these few cards extremely well preserved original cards?

Best regards

Rosanne

Do you think that Justice is standing on loaves of Bread and bags of grain? That would please me greatly. Is the Tower (I know I should give them their correct names) showing a Asteriod deluge or something similiar? Can one get a reproduction set now? Many thanks for the thread. ~Rosanne