What's so great about the Jacques Vieville Tarot?

Le Fanu

Thank you so much! Oodles of material to read on these links....

Melanchollic

I've found, when comparing various TdM decks for ambiguous design details, that the Vieville will usually be the deck that holds the secret...

CASE IN POINT: What is the Valet de Coupe holding there in his left hand?!? A hat? A rugby ball? A pair of D&G boxer briefs!?

The Vieville seems to answer the eternal question!

Valet-Cup.jpg

le pendu

Melanchollic said:

I've found, when comparing various TdM decks for ambiguous design details, that the Vieville will usually be the deck that holds the secret...

EXACTLY!!!!!!

I've found the same thing time and again. Even though it's not a "TdM", when it IS related to the TdM, it's often the most reliable version for figuring out what is going on. Vieville copied over details that Noblet, Dodal and others didn't or didn't know... you look to his card and suddenly the lines or circles or whatever.. make sense!

jmd

Beat me to it, he did.... but I'll say it too!

EXACTLY!

It is these details that makes comparison of decks, and the bringing in to comparing other decks such as the Besançon, Schaffhouse, and Bologna so important in sensing into details that may over time have become copied without understanding, with details slowly losing their earlier intended significance.

A WONDERFUL demonstration of that with the re-arrangement of the Valet details :)

stella01904

le pendu said:
EXACTLY!!!!!!

I've found the same thing time and again. Even though it's not a "TdM", when it IS related to the TdM, it's often the most reliable version for figuring out what is going on. Vieville copied over details that Noblet, Dodal and others didn't or didn't know... you look to his card and suddenly the lines or circles or whatever.. make sense!
YES! A kind of key or TdM study guide!

Debra

*thud*
I love you guys.

I'm out of town without my deck. I'll catch up later.
*swoon*

Le Fanu

Hey Debra.. I know we rescucitated this thread, but the action´s all happening over at the "Hat of the King of Cups" thread. Get thee back in town, grab your deck and come and join us!!

Cerulean

I've thought of the Chariot driver as combining Venus and Mars...

as in Mitelli and other older Northern Italian patterns...

A sample of Alessandro Sforza's tarot chariot is first and then G. Maria Mitelli's Bolognese Tarocchino Chariot follows...

I sometimes see the charioteer as a combination and perhaps a woodcut copy of someone that might be adorned as woman with a breastplate of flowers...an odd thought, but if it was harkening back to a finer woodcut heritage of tarocchino engraving where gods and goddesses and creatures not of this world adorn the festive iconography of the cards...

http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards38.htm

http://www.tarotpassages.com/mitelli.htm

And as for the interesting sphynxes--they could be hybrid creatures as the Florentine Minchiate's lightness...

http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards67.htm

...although I half-fancied monkeys or other curious creatures, I've not quite seen anything quite like the curiousities of the tarot/tarocchi images in the Vieville...I would love to see Flourney's adaptation of this beautiful old deck as sometime sooner rather than later...and perhaps with such work, he might suggest ideas for the old poetic scrawlings and scratchy details we all seem to enjoy pondering with such delight...

Coming real late to this game of revisiting an old favorite...I like all the charming contributions here and associated threads.

Cerulean

Attachments

• AS08.JPG
    AS08.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 124
  • mitelli_front_400.jpg
    mitelli_front_400.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 123

eugim

Vieville / Le Chariot

Hello Cerulean:
Regard to the topic of the figures pulling LE CHARIOT,I copy here what I quoted on LE CHARIOT thread.

eugim said:
So returning to the image card itself,I think that the figures pulling LE CHARIOT have human faces as seen on Vieville deck,so for me they don t seems sphinx or horses.
They are for me an allegory of ours innermost gender polarity.If the charioteer use his higher mind to reach his Soul level he surely will guide it on the One Way to his Spirit where polarity doesn t exists because polarity is an attribute inherent to the Matter as LE DIABLE show us.
So for me the left figure is masculine with his Roman warrior helmet (see the cheek guard ) and the right feminine.Aside for me the different details of physiognomy between them.
So I m absolutely agree with JMD when he relates to Platon link between Soul and LE CHARIOT (Or Socrates finally)

Eugim

eugim

Hello Melanchollic:
As I saw on your posts you have the knowledge to know that the first request condition regard to Tarot is just SEE the cards in a deep way.
As you clearly showed visual perception prove once more that the cards speak for themselves and loudly,if we don t try to put anything or the worst ourselves inside them.
If there is a meaning surely comes after never before.
I copy for you a paragraph of Arthur Conan Doyle novel " A Scandal in Bohemia " that I also sent to Moonbow by e mail.

-Watson: "This is indeed a mystery," I remarked. "What do you imagine that it means?"

-Sherlock Holmes :"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

My best regards to you.

Eugim