Caring for crystals

Green Eyed Envy

Are there any books that have good information about caring for crystals - specifically, which ones would be ruined by water, or which ones should stay out of the sun, stuff like that?

geministar

Hi Green Eye Envy,

I do not know of any particular books in regard to cleaning crystals but I thought I would let you know what I do.

The softer crystals like calcite I do not really cleanse at all but all my other stones I cleanse in clean water. I dont like to put my crystals in the sun because I feel it makes them fade.

Just a couple ideas for you.

You can also put them on a window sill at night during a full moon, or I think some people actually put them outside during the night.

The crystal bible has a small section about caring for your crystals. Its a great book. You might like to have a look at it. :)

Jols84

Judy Hall has a few other books in regards to Crystals. Not as extensive as The Crystal Bible, but still pretty good for a quick read and some referencing.
The Illustrated Guide To Crystals and The Crystal User's Handbook.
I am sure you can find more answers too online, just do a search. Most crystal books will have some sort of section in reference to cleaning them. :)

Horace

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet on taking care of crystals!

I came across two websites that give really good info on the care. Luckygemstones.com lists each stone and when you click it, and scroll down you will find the care guide. ie..sodalite is a hard stone, but water will erode the calcite in it so don't wash it. ametrine will change color if put with amethyst. stuff like that. also gives the MOH.
Ozark Rock Exchange was another extensive site, more on healing than care, but I still liked the luckygemstone one for the way they set it up.

Hh

Green Eyed Envy

I have the Crystal Bible, and while I really like it, it does lack guidelines for what you can and can't do for specific crystals.

I'm off to check out the sites Horace pointed at!

KaiMoonshadow

I think Judy Hall's new book Encyclopaedia of Crystals gives more of this type of information. Some books do list each stone's hardness on the Moh scale, as Horace pointed out but don't often give much more detailed information.

As a general guideline, stones with any colour are likely to fade in the sun and certain stones like Citrine and Amethyst can change colour in the sun.

Softer stones include Fluorite and Calcite.

:)

wizzle

I have yet to find a book that deals with care of stones, whether metaphysical or practical. The best care information I've found is on the web from folks who sell jewelry/stones on a massive basis.

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/library.htm
http://www.qvc.com/

Anything in the quartz group can be washed in mild detergent to keep it clean. I hate dirty stones, lol.

Marcasite jewelry should never polished with anything other than a soft cloth. Do NOT use any sort of cleaners as they can loosen the stones from their settings. Actually, the best way to keep marcasite jewelry looking good is to handle it. The oils in skin will take off oxidation so that all you need to do then is to buff up the items with a soft cloth.

Sonic gem cleaners should be consigned to purgatory. Do NOT use them. Spritz your diamonds with window cleaner and brush with a soft toothbrush instead. Sonic cleaners can make a stone with a weakness all that more weak. Do not use them!!! Cleaning with mild detergent, window cleaner, etc is easy and much safer.