Sibilla meanings

Horace

Hi canid.
I have both the Zingara and the Everyday oracles. The pictures are almost the same. I like the Zingara art better, but the Everyday has the corresponding card suits in Italian on them. So I'm using then to play solitaire until I learn the meanings better. Still, hope you don't mind, but other than Bodhran's thread on the meanings, I'm copying yours. It's really good, follows the meanings from Italian in the book but you give it in more depth. THE LWB gives 3-4 word meanings in 3-4 languages including English. These are easy cards to carry around. People don't seem to freak as much when you pull them out.:)Hh

Le Fanu

I have to say, I love the Every Day oracle by Lo Scarabeo. Here are some examples. It has such an old fashioned feel and the printing reminds me of those old votive Saints cards.

The numbers and letters in the top corner refer to the corresponding card suit in a conventional pack.

canid

Horace said:
Hi canid.
I have both the Zingara and the Everyday oracles. The pictures are almost the same. I like the Zingara art better, but the Everyday has the corresponding card suits in Italian on them. So I'm using then to play solitaire until I learn the meanings better. Still, hope you don't mind, but other than Bodhran's thread on the meanings, I'm copying yours. It's really good, follows the meanings from Italian in the book but you give it in more depth. THE LWB gives 3-4 word meanings in 3-4 languages including English. These are easy cards to carry around. People don't seem to freak as much when you pull them out.:)Hh

By all means, Horace, use them! I was hoping to get some kind of dialogue going to help me learn more about them also. I like Bodhran's too - I'm going to check them against what I've found, I just haven't had time yet.

WolfyJames

I love sibillas myself and I have a few: Parlour Sybil (french sibilla), Sibilla della Zingara, La Magica Sibilla and I Misteri della Sibilla. My favorite sibilla is the I Misteri della Sibilla.

canid said:
Oh, thank you so much! I wonder if I can enlist my next-door neighbor's help; she's Italian. However, after 50+ years of living in the US she can't speak English & I communicate with her via Babel Fish. Hmm. I'll ask her. But I'll have to use Babel Fish to even ask her...

The website is easy to translate with Google, I have done it myself and copied the informations in my notes, so there is no need to contact your italian friend for this.

Le Fanu

Why are these meanings using the RWS suits? None of my Sibillas have Cups, Pentacles, Swords and Wands. It just seemed an odd thing to do...

canid

Le Fanu said:
Why are these meanings using the RWS suits? None of my Sibillas have Cups, Pentacles, Swords and Wands. It just seemed an odd thing to do...

Maybe I jumped the gun a bit. I figured since they had corresponding playing cards & playing cards have tarot cards (I believe), it would be applicable & then I could learn their meanings much easier. Not?

Le Fanu

canid said:
Maybe I jumped the gun a bit. I figured since they had corresponding playing cards & playing cards have tarot cards (I believe), it would be applicable & then I could learn their meanings much easier. Not?
Ahh...OK. I thought I was missing something but it was just a personal thing! :)

Bernice

Many thanks for the list of meaning Candid! I have the LS Zingara and they are the same cards. :)

Now that Le Fanu has shown pics of the Everyday Oracle........ I think I might get them (nice white borders!).

Bee x

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
Now that Le Fanu has shown pics of the Everyday Oracle........ I think I might get them (nice white borders!)
Bee, I'm sure you will love this Oracle. I have quite a few Sibilla's but these are, by far, the most atmospheric and they have these weirdly proportioned cards, like a big-headed cat and a giant anatomically questionable dog.

I love them, they're my favourite sibilla. I have a lovely little velvet bag which fits just so and the images are so vivid, within half an hour with them, you'll have your own meanings worked out.

I also worked out a great spread for them last week off the top of my head. My bf wanted to know if he was going to receive a payment which was owed, so I fanned out the cards, with three particular cards in my mind's eye which could mean either money/windfall/nice surprise. He chose three cards and if one of those cards in my mind's eye came up, then the answer was yes! None of them did and the answer was no :( (and I was right :(!) The images are so vivid, a spread like this is great for yes/no questions. You ask the question and a small selection of cards immediately comes to mind. You read the cards on whether those cards do - or don't - appear...

a way of passing these long, winter evenings :)

Bernice

Le Fanu. I just got 'em! I went and looked at scans and you're right, they are very appealing, attractive & captivating images. I've also been going over the meaning list from Candid with my Zingara deck.

The 'spread' you describe = what a good idea! Best 'yes/no' or 'good/bad' approach I've come across, and really easy to do with this deck (i.e. having three pertinent cards in mind). CHEERS and thank you.

Bee :)