Oracle card symbols

Anastasia Jade

Hi all, I am very VERY new to oracle/tarot card reading. On Friday I purchased my first deck of Oracle cards "The Psychic Tarot" John Holland.

I understand I should be developing my intuition in reading the cards, but I wonder if there are some resources I can read to interpret the symbols? The guide book I received speaks briefly about the importance of symbols but doesn't give any detail.

Thank you for your time, I have so many questions but this one seems to be the most important so far.

2dogs

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

I don't have this deck but I like the way it just has one word or phrase on each card so I'd suggest you just look at the pictures and think about how they relate to the words. This includes the individual objects, colours, mood, temperature, shape, season, how you think any people might be feeling, putting yourself in their place, whether any particular thing in the picture jumps out at you and so on. You may discover you already know the meanings of some of these symbols. :lightbulb

Anastasia Jade

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

I don't have this deck but I like the way it just has one word or phrase on each card so I'd suggest you just look at the pictures and think about how they relate to the words. This includes the individual objects, colours, mood, temperature, shape, season, how you think any people might be feeling, putting yourself in their place, whether any particular thing in the picture jumps out at you and so on. You may discover you already know the meanings of some of these symbols. :lightbulb

Thanks so much, I've been using them a bit today to connect with them more and already have had a few significant moments where things really made sense and worked for me. Although I am only reading for myself so I feel I already have a level of insight.

I really want to get some tarot cards now to compare how I feel between these oracle cards and deck of tarot cards.

AJ

you can pick up a Symbolism dictionary
or do it the easy way and google

tree symbolism
crown symbolism
and so on.

Welcome to AT! I love oracles

2dogs

You may need that dictionary for Tarot cards, the meanings can be rather deep and complex. :confused:

Anastasia Jade

So I got a tarot deck Crysalis Tarot. And a frend gifted me a book called the tarot revealed. So far it's been helpful however the images can be very different from the explanation in the book.

danieljuk

I really recommend dream websites and also searching google for the symbols you want to know about. for example "window dream symbol" or "symbolism of a window". you will find lots of different pages from psychological ideas to artistic meanings. Remember though they are just someone else's opinion of the symbols but for me I often find it helps spur me on to my own interpretation :)

2dogs

So I got a tarot deck Crysalis Tarot. And a frend gifted me a book called the tarot revealed. So far it's been helpful however the images can be very different from the explanation in the book.

Ah yes, I started with a Tarot deck expecting to learn the correct meanings and found it wasn't that easy. Your book probably has commonly accepted meanings for one of the most influential decks, but the creator of your deck has diverged from them in a big way. You may have to spend some time trying different approaches until you discover what works best for you, but you could try drawing a card from both decks for each position in your spread and comparing what is shown in each one.