9 of Swords in the Marseilles decks

Moonbow

Some unusual thoughts Kwaw. Sword = Truth? What does the proverb actually mean, could it be saying that honesty is not always the best policy? Its a bit of a conundrum but certainly makes you think.

thinbuddha

Evie said:
What does the proverb actually mean, could it be saying that honesty is not always the best policy?

I think that it means that people aren't always ready to hear the truth, and will exile the person who tells that truth from their life. Examples? Your child is selling sex for drugs. Your dad is not your biological father, but your grandfather is. You just aren't the next American Idol. Yours is not the greatest country on earth. (etc.)

kwaw

good examples thinbuddha:)

kwaw

Nine represent the end of all things that have a beginning, i.e., it is a number of time (according to, for example, Cornelius Agrippa). Swords represent things that cut or pierce, like a needle, added together which recalls to mind the proverb:

A stitch in time saves nine.

oak_woman

Yes :)

If a garment (for example) has a tiny hole that needs mending, just taking one small stitch straight away will prevent that hole from getting bigger and needing nine stitches to mend it (= more work).

thinbuddha

OK, thanks. That makes sense.

So the 9S could be seen as a card representing damage done because you did not take timely action when needed?

kwaw

thinbuddha said:
OK, thanks. That makes sense.

So the 9S could be seen as a card representing damage done because you did not take timely action when needed?

Yes, I think so -- or a call to act before a situation gets worse.

Bernice

kwaw said:
Yes, I think so -- or a call to act before a situation gets worse.
I thought this sounded familiar. Yes, in one method I have used the 9 Swords is a card of fore-warning.

I think in a negative postion or with accompanying negative cards it could be read as 'damage done' due to not taking earlier action.

Bee :)