Study Group Post 3- Mercury through the houses

214red

Mercury
Ruler of
Virgo and Gemini
Rules :
The Hands

Keywords:
intelligence, language, communication, memory, expression, the mind, Mind, communications, reasoning capabilities, gathering facts and the ability to perceive relationships between two things, situations or people, speech ,thought ,short journeys , inquiry

Further details
Mercury, much like the winged messenger of the gods, comes in on feather-light wings and commands us to speak. Communication, intellect and awareness are all within Mercury's domain, as are logic and reasoning, our manner of thinking, and how we create and express our thought processes. He was also seen as a trickster. Early astronomers noted this planet's speed and elusiveness. In Greek myths, Mercury was Hermes, the winged messenger god and in Roman times, he was portrayed as a trickster, the emblem for the magus, the wise counsellor, divine messenger.
Mercury is about a quick wit, quick thinking, possibilities, opinions, reasoning and the ability to rationalize things. Which element your Mercury is in is a good starting point for understanding your particular type of intelligence. Mercury is at home in the air signs, which lean toward rational and logical thinking. In fire signs, Mercury is quick, instinctive and inspirational, water signs give the mind an intuitive and emotional filter, while Mercury in the earth signs tends to be pragmatic and concrete. Mercury's energy is both dexterous and perceptive.Your mercury can offer clues to sharing your unique gifts of expression. The aspects your Mercury makes with other planets may explain quirks in your manner of speaking, such as being defensive, chatty, eloquent, emotiona
Mercury is about short trips: a visit to a neighbor or a friend across town, the workaday commute, a weekend getaway. Siblings, and transportation in general, are also within Mercury's realm.
Speaking, writing, books, online communications and learning are all within Mercury's domain.
In the infinite variety of life, Mercury determines your fascinations, what kinds of puzzles you’ll want to work out, where you’d like to focus your mind power. Mercury’s influence on how you think can steer your career path, since you’ll likely be drawn to areas in which your mind thrives and excels.
Mercury, the messenger of the gods, symbolises mentality: our intellect and mental outlook, the way we think and communicate. Mercury, as Hermes, is the emblem for the magus, the wise counsellor, divine messenger – and prince of thieves!

Mercury retrograde

If you see an "R" next to a planet in your birth chart that means it was in retrograde when you were born. Someone with Mercury retrograde may have a reflective or introverted mind. You might want to mull things over more than most before drawing a conclusion. Depending on which sign your Mercury is in this could give you an interest in the past and a powerful memory.

Mercury through Houses
First House
Mercury in the first house suggests you have an inquiring, intellectual outlook on life, and you reflect this strongly in your personality. You're very talkative and have little problem communicating your thoughts effectively. You enjoy making connections, and trying to learn a little about many different subjects. You adapt quickly to changing situations, and the personality is very witty and quick. You are mentally restless, always seeking new and useful information. Your speech and writings are expressive of your distinctively personal opinions.

Second House
Mercury residing in the second house produces an association with the house of personal finances and possessions. This placement generates money making ideas, and you are a person who is very value conscious. You are a quick thinker in financial transactions or in sales. The mind concentrates on commercial affairs, and it is centered on making money. This is a good position for economists, corporate planners, salespeople, writers with mass appeal, and professions involving communications. Values are often more material than intellectual. You may a special gift for making money by teaching or in some way communicating money-making ideas to others.

Third House
Mercury residing in the third house produces an association with this location, its natural home, the house of the conscious mind. This placement stimulates matters of the mind, and shows that you are witty and clever, especially in the use of words. Not necessarily a deep thinker, but alert, adaptable, and versatile. You express ideas fluently, and display a variety of talents. You may find a tendency to become involved in many superficial contacts and passing fancies, because your mind remains always active and busy.

Fourth House
Mercury residing in the fourth house produces an association with this house of domestic affairs. This position often denotes mental and educational activities in the home. Parents are likely to be well educated or place an unusually high priority upon learning. This position may relate to changeable home conditions or in some way, a nomadic life-style. Being somewhat high-strung and easily irritated, you may find it hard to relax.

Fifth House
Mercury in the fifth house produces an intellectual association with this house of creativity and the affairs of children. This position usually shows good writing and speaking ability, and it likewise shows artistic and creative interests. You express yourself in a dramatic and forceful way, enabling you to become an excellent teacher or actor. Games of mental competition attract your interest and mental stimulation is essential to your happiness. This position is associated with stock market analysts and investors. You may have an analytic, critical outlook on romance, and on life.

Sixth House
Mercury residing in the sixth house produces an association with this house of service and health affairs. This position shows an ability to be methodical and efficient in handling work of a mental nature. You're likely to become involved in work requiring specialized mental or physical skills, such as working with computers or electronic devices. Sometimes you are too precise, and you can easily become too much of a worrier. You may be too concerned with duty, health or proper diet. You have a critical nature that can be upset by disorder in your environment.

Seventh House
Mercury positioned in the seventh house produces an association with this house of relationships. This position shows a tendency to gravitate toward clever, articulate people. You are adept at communicating with the public and should succeed in sales, public relations, or law. You also excel in arbitration, mediation, and counseling. The need for mental companionship should lead you to marry a person who is intelligent and well educated. You are good at promoting your ideas and expressing yourself in an intelligent manner.

Eighth House
Mercury positioned in the eighth house produces an association with this house of joint resources. This position identifies you as one who is a natural investigator, always trying to get to the bottom of any mystery or problem. You can get at the truth of a situation. Here, the mind is used to study and relate to the deeper issues of life. You may also be interested in finance, taxes, insurance, or other symbols of resources held by others. Your interest in human behavior may prompt study and investigation in that field.

Ninth House
Mercury resides in the ninth house producing an association with this house of higher learning. This position shows an interest in philosophy, law, publishing, religion, or other field of education. You have many ideas, beliefs, and opinions, and the ability to express them with authority. Your teaching and writing abilities are very significant. You love travel and it should be easy for you to learn foreign languages. You have a strong curiosity about foreign countries and cultures. As your interests develop, you may become qualified as an excellent teacher of these subjects.

Tenth House
Mercury positioned in the tenth house produces an association with this house of personal attainment. This position suggests you possess excellent speaking and writing abilities that can be used effectively in your career and in attaining professional recognition. Your career is important to you, and your strategy in this regard has to be carefully planned, including education and preparation to attain your goals. The benefit of Mercury here is the ability to communicate ideas to the public; expertise in speech making, publishing, and political strategy, are often found.

Eleventh House
Mercury resides in the eleventh house producing an association with this house of social relationships. This position denotes a comprehensive mind that relates to a wide range of ideas and thoughts. Your attitudes are impersonal, but always friendly. You're willing to exchange ideas and communicate with anyone, regardless of background or walk of life. Much of your thinking is a little off beat or unusual. Your friends provide you wide and diffusive points of view, and you enjoy sharing ideas with such people.

Twelfth House
Mercury resides in the twelfth house producing an association with the subconscious mind. This position suggests that your thinking is strongly colored by experiences and subconscious influences. Decisions are often based on feelings, rather than logic. You're secretive about your thoughts and ideas. You may often be shy and hesitate to speak your ideas, especially in a public setting. You are somewhat hampered by learning difficulties, and you may have difficulty attaining your potential because of this. You lack confidence, but hide this fact very well.

Links for where I found the information:
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/inhouses-mercury.html

http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/astrology/LearningAstrology/housesMercury.htm

olivia1

214Red said:
Eighth House
Mercury positioned in the eighth house produces an association with this house of joint resources. This position identifies you as one who is a natural investigator, always trying to get to the bottom of any mystery or problem. You can get at the truth of a situation. Here, the mind is used to study and relate to the deeper issues of life. You may also be interested in finance, taxes, insurance, or other symbols of resources held by others. Your interest in human behavior may prompt study and investigation in that field.

Thanks, Nik!

My mercury is in the 8th House and (like I said in the last discussion) I love studying books on human behavior. I'm also always trying to find the "hidden truth" in just about everything..from people's motives ( I'm fascinated by what drives people to do certain things and why they chose their particular actions) to random things like the story of how chamomile tea came to be used by society. I'm not really interested in finance, though. I enjoy accounting problems because I like trying out the different accounting equations (I enjoy puzzles) but I dont take an interest in the actual money in itself. Or maybe I do...I am dating an account.

214red

thanks olivia, we are not on aspects yet through we are simply discussing mercury and how it relates to us, were not that advanced yet:)

olivia1

214red said:
thanks olivia, we are not on aspects yet through we are simply discussing mercury and how it relates to us, were not that advanced yet:)

lol,sorry, I guess i misunderstood... I edited it to be more on topic :)I'll save the aspects for later ;)

Professor X

Good post.

Im a Triple Virgo with Mercury in the first house.
I constantly have to take in knowledge or else I get bored.

Not only that but my Mercury is conjunction with Pluto in that same house.

Ashtaroot

Sixth House
Mercury residing in the sixth house produces an association with this house of service and health affairs. This position shows an ability to be methodical and efficient in handling work of a mental nature. You're likely to become involved in work requiring specialized mental or physical skills, such as working with computers or electronic devices. Sometimes you are too precise, and you can easily become too much of a worrier. You may be too concerned with duty, health or proper diet. You have a critical nature that can be upset by disorder in your environment.

Different Problem with health from the begining. Mental process yes I am a seeker of knowledge knowledge knowledge...no electronics though..details are very important and I need everything to be perfect
I am a worrier and yes duty, health very important and I get frustrated in any chaotic environment.

214red

Fourth House
Mercury residing in the fourth house produces an association with this house of domestic affairs. This position often denotes mental and educational activities in the home. Parents are likely to be well educated or place an unusually high priority upon learning. This position may relate to changeable home conditions or in some way, a nomadic life-style. Being somewhat high-strung and easily irritated, you may find it hard to relax.

I have mercury in my packed 4th house, its in leo and yes i am highly strung, and easily irritated.My father is highly educated, mostly of his own doing, and our home was a place of learning. i still continue to enjoy studying at home. i did split my time between parents in the Uk and US so i did like to have two homes.Leo likes to be king of their home, and i do like to host circles etc at my home

Zezina

Hope you don't mind me joining you at this stage of your studies. I just discovered this thread.

I'm brushing up on my Astrology a bit because I'm currently reading Charles Kipp's book 'Astrology, Aleister & Aeon'.

My Mercury conjunct Mars in the First House probably explains why I'm posting here, and why I'm reading the book.

Especially when my Sun is in the Twelfth House.

:heart: *Z*

214red

Zezina said:
Hope you don't mind me joining you at this stage of your studies. I just discovered this thread.

I'm brushing up on my Astrology a bit because I'm currently reading Charles Kipp's book 'Astrology, Aleister & Aeon'.

My Mercury conjunct Mars in the First House probably explains why I'm posting here, and why I'm reading the book.

Especially when my Sun is in the Twelfth House.

:heart: *Z*
everyone is welcome, its open to all!

there are other threads for the sun and the moon if you wiwth to contribute to those.

in this one, pull up a stool and tell us about your mercury

214red

olivia1 said:
Thanks, Nik!

My mercury is in the 8th House and (like I said in the last discussion) I love studying books on human behavior. I'm also always trying to find the "hidden truth" in just about everything..from people's motives ( I'm fascinated by what drives people to do certain things and why they chose their particular actions) to random things like the story of how chamomile tea came to be used by society. I'm not really interested in finance, though. I enjoy accounting problems because I like trying out the different accounting equations (I enjoy puzzles) but I dont take an interest in the actual money in itself. Or maybe I do...I am dating an account.

being in the 8th house, do you find that your interesting in other peoples money or inheritence?

Do you think your interest in tarot might come from wanting to understand peoples behaviour?