Symbolism in the RWS 6 of Cups

Richard

My understanding is that this forum is for the -
"Study of the symbolism and detail of the original Rider-Waite Tarot"
and that matters pertaining to The Golden Dawn Tradition have their own sub-forum within the Thoth Tarot forum.....
For some reason, I've always thought it was inappropriate to focus on the Rider-Waite Tarot in the Golden Dawn subforum of the Thoth. Actually, neither Thoth nor Rider-Waite conforms precisely to the Book T specifications of the Golden Dawn Tarot. If I was amiss in referring to Qabalistic and astrological concepts in the Rider-Waite forum, I apologize. Maybe a moderator can straighten out the confusion.

firemaiden

Of course that is true, but should such admittedly interesting and important philosophical generalities be the focus of the discussion of the Six of Cups in this particular Forum? Perhaps there is room for specific hard facts as well as generalities. Because I may wish to examine certain aspects of this card in which I have a particular interest does not mean that I am blind to its broader significance.

I'm almost beginning to feel that if I make the comment that "the Six of Cups is of central significance in the Cups suit because it refers to Tiphareth in Briah," I must immediately append the disclaimer "but that does not mean that it doesn't mean a lot more than that" (although it's very difficult for me to think of Briah as in any way whatsoever limiting as regards the Cups).

Richard, new friend, I think there is room for all of it, and please explain Tiphareth in Briah ! I love to learn new things.

ravenest

Might want to watch your back! That information is confidential! Did you have to break into somewhere to get it?

oh... you must be in on the conspiracy then

I don't have to worry about that as, like all Freemasons, I can rotate my head backwards 180 degrees ... the only thing I broke into was cowan skulls to eat their brains and there is no conspiracy.

And while I am saying crazy things ... you know what I see in the card?

2 children playing a game in a garden, the older one gives the girl a flower. Done it myself many times ... and seen it many times without the (IMO) 'weird associations'.

What a starkraving mad Freemason I must be!

Okay, weird clothes ... time and culture. Strange faces and depictions .... not good artwork (again IMO). And I am helped by associations with number element suit decan etc etc, whats the point otherwise ... if not they may as well be 'destiny cards'. Or I could start reading postcards.

I think people who give cards meaning via associations or 'intuition' without taking into account the cards position in the framework leave interpretation unregulated and give free reign to ... whatever. And that can cause some to project unresolved complexes and associations into the interpretation and further into a reading.

I have had enough trouble dealing with clients who have had paranoia and negative outlooks instilled into them by past incompetent and irresponsible readers, like a woman who stressed for 4 years as she was told her son was going to die ... I just hope clients aren't going to be told that little Julie is in danger of being kidnapped by a paedophile dwarf ... when in my book it is describing stabilised emotional pleasure ... on an 'innocent' level.

The sex with dwarfs doesn't come in until the 7 where Scorpio rears its loins (Venus) as opposed to its heart (Sun) ;)

Zephyros

The sex with dwarfs doesn't come in until the 7 where Scorpio rears its loins (Venus) as opposed to its heart (Sun) ;)

Just when I think I'm crazy you come along and prove me right... and also that I'm not alone!

Richard

Richard, new friend, I think there is room for all of it, and please explain Tiphareth in Briah ! I love to learn new things.
Maybe closrapexa should explain. Kabbalah is not only a part of his cultural heritage, but he is a genius at explaining technical things in way that is easy to understand.

:)

Richard

Seeing an extra face on the little girl is like seeing Jesus in a random cloud formation. This may say something about the reader's imagination but nothing about the card except that the art is substandard, even for Pixie.

Attachments

• jesus.jpg
    jesus.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 174

ravenest

Tiphareth in Briah is like when you are a little Pixie girl playing in the garden and your big brother comes along and says; "Close your eyes, I have a surprise for you." And you do ... and for once , when you open them, its not some nasty toad or slug its ... a flower :) .

OMG! I'm sorry ... closrapexa was supposed to answer that ... wow! That was like I was watching table tennis and LRichard pinged to C and I just jumped up and ponged back ... sorry man.

Just as well this isn't about 7 of cups :bugeyed:

Richard

Tiphareth in Briah is like when you are a little Pixie girl playing in the garden and your big brother comes along and says; "Close your eyes, I have a surprise for you." And you do ... and for once , when you open them, its not some nasty toad or slug its ... a flower :) .

OMG! I'm sorry ... closrapexa was supposed to answer that ... wow! That was like I was watching table tennis and LRichard pinged to C and I just jumped up and ponged back ... sorry man.
Nonsense, that's a great explanation. I was just trying to wake C up. Maybe he's too busy teaching Qabalah over in the UTC forum - http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201479.

Just as well this isn't about 7 of cups :bugeyed:
The 6 of Cups is trapped between the projective erectile potential of Mars in Scorpio (5) and the seductive receptivity of Venus in Scorpio (7). (There, that should get his attention. :D)

ravenest

Wow! That really woke him up.

A thought: Why do we have all this kabbalistic and schematic 'sub-text' as the Tarot's framework?

Perhaps it is to guide and keep us on track with our 'intuitions' so they don't go off the rails into unrelated imagining and mixing them up with our complexes and imbalances?