Isidore Tarot

gregory

That's great news, gregory! Did they happen to mention what their "reasonable" price would be for us humble Tarot devourers? ;)

No, but she said she'd let me know as soon as it goes on sale....

Rhinemaiden

I just received notice that my Isidore tarot is shipping Saturday 5/24 and should be here next week! :D

Go here for pix of the deck/book/tin/special bag.... this really is a set worth having! First run is limited.... not many left.

http://theisidoretarot.com/deck/

toddoc33

I got my notice also :) Really looking forward to this one! LOVE the art.

FLizarraga

OK, guys, once you get it... spill. We want the dirt. Heck, we NEED it!

Comments on readability would be great. I'm beginning to suspect that it can be pretty readable --as much as I love them, the majors leave me cold, but the minors are another matter entirely. This is like the Maddonni --in reverse!

Reyan

I might love this... I can't decide

toddoc33

Got It!! :-D

I just got The Isidore Tarot today & I thought I'd offer some initial thoughts.... First off, I Love It! This is one of those cases where the deck is much better in person than on-line. The amount of detail that Bethaynne was abel to show on the cards is incredible; each character is dense with color & detail, but enough space is left around the central character to keep the cards from looking crowded or confusing.
My favorite 'go-to' deck is the Deviant Moon; one reason is every image in the deck looks like it relates to the next, like every character has a personal relationship with the next one... This deck is the same. Every character in The Isidore Tarot looks like he/she is attending the same Grand Party in an English Manor House. This deck is beautiful, elegent, and edgy. The characters remind me of the 'Animals' in Gregory Maguire's book "Wicked", and it looks like it would be right at home on Miss Havisham's dressing table. As to readability? I haven't done one yet, but I suspect the readings will go very well. The imagery is RWS with a few twists thrown in.
Now that I have gushed, I do have one issue: The card stock (sorry Bethaynne). It is a wee bit thin for my large, clunky hands. I will live in fear, each time I shuffle, that one of the cards will bend & crease. Also (not a complaint), the corners are not rounded, so be aware if that's an issue for you.
Packaging very nice! Beautiful Tin with a simple, gold-satin bag holding the cards. There isn't an LWB.
This deck won't be everyones cup-of-tea, but it is definitely mine :) Hope this helps

toddoc33

EEK!! My Mistake! :-O

Good Lord, I didn't dig to the bottom of the shipping box, so forgot to mention there is a WONDERFUL paperback book to accompany the deck, and some beautiful postcards from her other decks, and this one.
Next time I will remove ALL of the packing material before I start my review... :-S

FLizarraga

Thanks for the great two-part review, toddoc33! :)

Yes, I do think Miss Havisham would have it on her dressing table. I can picture her reading it while talking to Pip.

I'm afraid the cardstock is a deal-breaker for me, though. At that price, it should be at least as good as, say, Seven Stars' --which is simply sublime.

toddoc33

Yeah, I have to admit, Seven Stars really set the standard for quality Indi Decks :) On the plus side, I did a reading with the Isidore Tarot yesterday evening & was quite impressed with it, as was the friend that got the reading. Cost & card stock aside, I really love this one. Would like to hear what others think ;-)

Rhinemaiden

I received my package today... deck in tin with brocade bag, companion book and extra goodie package.

The deck is more beautiful in person than on the website. Wonderfully detailed illustrations in the RWS tradition, on light colored backgrounds with reversible backs. Look at the cards on the website and you'll understand why the corners are square, not rounded, the illustrations are square with a very thin white border. Card stock feels supple, with no hint of plastic. This isn't a deck I plan on shuffling, so card stock isn't an issue. Cards measure 3 inches by 5 inches.

The companion book is a 5 inches by 8 inches paperback with a a glossy cover. It contains a section by the artist, Bethalynne Bajema, about the deck, followed by a page for each of the 78 cards with a 2-1/2 inch by 4-1/4 inch black and white illustration of each card followed by an interpretation upright or reversed.

I am very pleased to have one of the 30 decks in the first print run in my collection. This is a set to savor. A second printing of 50 decks is planned for June release. Grab this one while you can! :thumbsup: