Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

gregory

I don't care what Leffy thinks - I LIKE this deck. So sue me :D

Le Fanu

I thought you liked the Morgan Greer... :confused:
...erm, let me see; Morgan Greer, rich in colour, rich in character, period charm. Llewellyn Classic, flat as a pancake, empty and dead. It's a tough choice....

Lee

I think LF is wincing because he doesn't feel this one lives up to the Morgan Greer.
Oh okay, I get it now. I thought LF was saying the Classic is in the same league as the Morgan Greer, when actually he's saying he disagrees with that. Sorry LF, my mistake! I misread your post. My brain inserted the word "is" in "This deck in the same league..."

kell

Thank you, rwcarter and lefanu...got quite a chuckle out of your replies, and I so needed a good laugh....'snub noses' and a cougar empress. Priceless:)

feynrir

Why do I want this deck

I've been thinking about the Llewellyn Classic recently because I remembered that I truly loved the backs. They remind me of the "Original Rider Waite" backs (which I've sadly never experienced. That dang plaid pattern...!!)

I bought the app today and I'm just not sure about this one. Some serious pros and cons with it...maybe more cons. However, it reads like a charm. Very clear, if not blatant and lacking in "magick."

Has anyone been using it much regularly and recommends it? It's certainly not worth the $30 it's fetching to me, but if I could ever find it for $15ish, perhaps...

Some of the cards are just so cheesy, others are awesome. I also dislike the gendered hands on the Ace cards. Anyway, I'll stop! Let me know what you think about using it! :D

Le Fanu

It's certainly not worth the $30 it's fetching to me, but if I could ever find it for $15ish, perhaps...
Wait till it comes up in trading. I'm sure it will. I don't think it's a deck that people will hang onto forever once they realise it doesn't have that much which is new and you might as well use a trusty Robin Wood or Morgan Greer. I deleted the app (never done that with a deck; not even the app is worth having). It comes down to taste, if people like the artwork, they'll be able to read with it. I say it doesn't bring anything new; I don't always expect something new. I read with loads of decks that don't bring anything new. But it's funny how one craves something new (at least) when the artwork isn't up to much.

Barleywine

I was reading Solandia's review of this deck and the comment that struck me was the deck's use of "weather appropriate to the mood of the card" (rain, snow, etc.) In retrospect, I don't think I own any other decks that attempt this so emphatically. Some use lighting, sky effects and "seasonal" landscape features to approximate it, but I can't think of one that shows, for example, the woman in the Eight of Swords "standing in the rain with her feet in the mud." Not that I would buy it; it still seems decidedly "meh" to me (quoting the illustrious Bart Simpson :)), and comic-book art is not my thing. My Morgan Greer is certainly not nervous about being crowded out by this one.

Nemia

Anna K. has some very clever and attentive use of weather as a motif.

The Llewellyn leaves me completely cold. Which is an achievement in itself since I'm easily enabled. What a waste of Barbara Moore's talent. She should have worked with a more substantial artist IMO. (Mark McElroy's Lo Scarabeo comes to mind - good concept partly spoiled by cartoonish, shallow art).

Barleywine

Anna K. has some very clever and attentive use of weather as a motif.

Thanks! I'll tote that up in the "enabling" column. Anna K has been on my extended wish list for a long time. Not sure about availability now, though.