steampunk(moore),illuminati, or llewellyn classic?

William Chandra

Sorry.. but i need more help.. i'll add druidcraft to the list.. so druidcraft,steampunk(moore), illuminati, llewellyn classic. Plz pick two of em.. thx again.. sorry for asking too much.. and plz elaborate the reason,cardstock n the guidebook quality..

Miss Divine

Sorry.. but i need more help.. i'll add druidcraft to the list.. so druidcraft,steampunk(moore), illuminati, llewellyn classic. Plz pick two of em.. thx again.. sorry for asking too much.. and plz elaborate the reason,cardstock n the guidebook quality..

Druidcraft is also an excellent choice. These decks both come with great guidebooks. The cards are easy and clear to read with. The steampunk has a beautiful victorian atmosphere to it that I myself just love. The Druidcraft is very earthy and the colors are so vivid and alive. I'ven seen the Illuminati at my friend's. I think it has way too much going on. I personally do not like overly busy decks. You really have to go with what YOU are drawn to. Tarot decks are so personal. Some decks that people rave aabout, make me shudder. ;)

William Chandra

Druidcraft+steampunk.. druidcraft+llewellyn classic.. or steampunk+llewellyn classic?

GlitterNova

It's impossible for someone else to know how you will like a deck. Moore's Steampunk, The Druidcraft the Illuminati are all generally very highly regarded as RWS-based decks that are nice to look at. I'd consider them all to be at about the same level of quality and ease of use. Their main differences are the art style they are created in, and no one can tell you what art you like. For example, a previous poster said they didn't like the art of the Illuminati and I feel the opposite way. Personally I think it's incredibly visually impressive while still being a RWS clone (and keeping most of the original's symbology intact).

The only reason I haven't included the Llewellyn Classic is because it's simply too new of a deck to consider a 'classic' like the rest. Like the Illuminati it's a RWS clone drawn in a different style to the original. Again, it just comes down to what art style you like.

As a bit of advice, in the past I've found that most of the times I waffle back and forth between getting a deck an not getting it, it's because I don't actually really want it. Sometimes my brain will get in a mood of being bored by whatever decks I have and start trying to tell me 'OK you need a new deck, so start looking!' and I'll dutifully start considering buying decks that I don't actually like that much just to satisfy that urge. My best deck purchases have been totally spur of the moment and not at all caring what other people think of that deck. I'll look at images of the cards and mentally go 'Yep, that's the one!' and there will be no more doubt about it. To the OP: have any of the decks you've seen given you a feeling like that? Don't let yourself get talked out of a deck you've immediately connected with just some others don't like it.

Pam O

Hi William,
Choosing deck can be great fun. Are you making an adventure out of it? :)
And lucky you. AT is such a great forum to get wisdom from. It was not around when I discovered the fascination of Tarot....

Have you considered apps? I know an app is nothing close to having the feel of the deck in your hand, but many have found it a great way to spend time with the images. Fool's Dog has several of the decks you are considering, plus they have one of the best Tarot app formats available today. They now have 4 samplers, and those are all FREE. Most of the decks you are considering are included in the Samplers. Here is the link to all their decks.
http://www.foolsdog.com/tarot.html

I have both the Steampunk deck and the app. I say yay to both. The Steampunk is one of my favorite apps because the back lighting of the card images enhances it immeasurably. :thumbsup: The book is a good, easy reader.

Druidcraft is super popular. Card stock wise, these cards are big. This is the deck so many did their first trimming project on. I use my deck way more now that it is trimmed. The book is awesome. It is packed with info and quite deep.
Here is the thread of trimmed decks and includes an alpha list of decks. The Druidcraft has lots of samples people have uploaded.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=165283

I ordered the Illuminati and it is almost here. I put off buying it until now. I used a 30% off coupon Amazon had running last weekend. That is the only reason i talked myself into it. Many rave about it and say it is one of their very favorite decks. Others say it is very busy. That one is really going to be up to you following your intuitive guidance on whether to get it now or later.

The Llewellen Classic.... I did not even buy the $3.99 app for that one. For some reason it does not feel right personally. The RWS has secrets hidden in it for the seeker to discover. The Llewellen Classic exposes a lot of those secrets, so the adventure of discovering the secrets is lost. This is another one of the decks included in the Fools Dog samplers.

Have fun getting your next deck(s)!!! :thumbsup:

William Chandra

Thx Pam O for the apps info.. it really helps..

RunningWild

I have all four decks you've mentioned. Hands down, the Tarot Illuminati will add a level to your understanding of the cards and the book that comes with it is brilliant. In addition, there is an extended version of the book in digital format that you can later purchase if you so choose. The only drawback might be the cardstock. It's thicker and stiff. I think it's because of the gilding.

The Steampunk you've mentioned is ok. Not among my favorites.

I like the Druidcraft but rarely take it out. The coloring is very nice and it's easy to read with. The cards are a little bigger than the Hanson Roberts and might not be a good fit if your hands are smaller.

Llewellyn's Classic is another one that is just ok by me. I bought it and didn't really see anything particularly special about it.

The cardstock of the last three decks I mentioned is about the same. Easy to shuffle, especially if you riffle shuffle.

William Chandra

I'm so confused.. idk which one to buy.. they're all so cool.. sigh..

Amanda

My intuitive, gut reaction to your question here was that you would love having the Llewellyn Classic.