The deal with opalite

Metra

While buying crystals the other day i happened upon opalite. I thought it was really pretty and just bought it because i liked the way it looked and i figured i'd just find out what it can help with later. Anyway I found sites listing the way it can help, i have a crystal book too that listed green opalite but it obviously looks different. Then I found some sites saying opalite is just glass. It was only two dollars so I'm not terribly upset that it's glass, but it's a bit annoying to see it being sold as a real gemstone in stores and online.

Since opalite is just glass does it really have any positive energies?

decan

I don't know actually.
Online it is said that opalite brings calm and gentleness.
According to Agrippa artificial stones like glass are ruled by Mercury, so the effect could be more in connection with mental.

Amsonia

glass is made from silica and oxygen but the molecules are not arranged in a rigid geometric framework...

natural quartz is the same silica and oxygen molecules arranged in a fixed pattern

sand is actually tiny pieces of quartz (with some impurities)

manufactured glass is made from sand and sometimes other things are added to make it colored - heated to it's melting point and then cooled

Obsidian is 'natural glass' which is silica and oxygen heated by the earth so the molecules are not arranged in a rigid crystal structure

so I wouldn't say that just glass is fundamentally different from a gemstone since glass, quartz and obsidian are all the same two types of atoms...silica and oxygen...just arranged a bit different or with other inclusions.

This is a good article about man made crystals and stones
http://www.healingcrystals.com/Trea...stals_By_Stephanie_Arnold_Articles_11914.html

Espeon

I have heard that Opalite is a mix of Opal and plain glass melted together. Not sure the accuracy of the statement. Can someone confirm? I read this statement years ago.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Metra

I read more about it and I think I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty, but I don't plan to use it for any sort of healing. I read sometimes it's even just made of plastic which is very disappointing.

decan

Moonstones look like your opalite (but natural). They are white with sometimes some blue reflections (it depends on quality).

Tigerangel

From the information I've gathered about opalite over the years, it's normally a man made synthetic stone, but there is some plastic opalite that can be found aswell.

There are lots of natural Stones that have synthetic elements added to Stones that are produced these days that still carry healing properties such as different types of Aura Quartz etc.

My personal belief though is that everything carries some form of energy to it, even opalite.

Opalite properties are mostly the same as white Opal, so if your wanting to work with a natural crystal it's probably better to pick White Opal over Opalite, the telltale sign for buying opalite is the price, opalite is extremely cheap, so if you find someone selling a piece of white Opal and you think it's really cheap, chances are it's opalite.

As said before moonstone is very similar to opalite, I'm actually wearing a moonstone necklace at the moment and when I'm in the sun the blue shimmer is lovely that comes from it.

I've read quite a few stories about people using opalite ( glass quality not plastic) and they seem to get the healing properties they want or needed from it, so I guess it comes down to what you believe the stone can give you, I personally believe you can get healing properties out of a piece of wood, leave, even a common rock if you wanted too.