Different Etteilla decks

Myrrha

Thank you, Moonbow. That is the one I have also.
--Myrrha

earthair

Hi
My hand accidentally slipped on the 'buy' button :cool2:, but I'm not sure which one I've bought? Some of them have writing on the bottom of the box, but this doesn't? How are they different?

Most of the links above are old and broken now.

I was hoping to buy as close as possible to this http://www.photokat.com/offline/tarot/eteilla.jpg

This is the one I've bought>

Attachments

• grand etteilla gypsies tarot.jpg
    grand etteilla gypsies tarot.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 365

Richard

Earthair, the one you bought is indeed the one you were hoping to buy. :)

coredil

@earthair
The deck you bought is a newer printing of the Etteilla deck typ I (about 1969)
Photokat's pictures show a much older printing of the deck (from 1890 to 1950? The cardback of Photokat's deck point to a date around 1930)

Here are some differences:
The modern version is bilingual, the older is french only.
The pictures and the coloring are the same but the titles have been changed on a lot of cards.
On the modern printing one can find titles on the right and left side of the pictures of some cards.
These titles are not on the older printing.
The cardboard is also very different on the older decks: much thicker and without plastic lamination and overall the coloring is matt compared to the newer printing.
There is no copyright on the cards on the older decks.

Probably your deck does not have the side titles and is also thicker than the newest printing, your deck seems to be an early version of the bilingual version (probably the first printing of the bilingual version).

And even if your copy is one of the newer printing, your deck is still an original Grimaud Etteilla deck, it means it is one of the few historical decks that have been continuously printed since their first edition :)

Beside of this thread there are quite a lot of very interesting threads on AT about the several versions of Etteillas deck.

Best regards

coredil

@sumada
Myrrha's post is from 2007 ;)
But your link could be interesting for earthair who resurrected this thread ;)

BTW your Tarot Treasure Box is a great reference and always a joy to browse through :)

earthair

@earthair
The deck you bought is a newer printing of the Etteilla deck typ I (about 1969)
Photokat's pictures show a much older printing of the deck (from 1890 to 1950?)

Here are some differences:
The modern version is bilingual, the older is french only.
The pictures and the coloring are the same but the titles have been changed on a lot of cards.
On the modern printing one can find titles on the right and left side of the pictures of some cards.
These titles are not on the older printing.
The cardboard is also very different on the older decks: much thicker and without plastic lamination and overall the coloring is matt compared to the newer printing.
There is no copyright on the cards on the older decks.

Probably your deck does not have the side titles and is also thicker than the newest printing, your deck seems to be an early version of the bilingual version (probably the first printing of the bilingual version).

And even if your copy is one of the newer printing, your deck is still an original Grimaud Etteilla deck, it means it is one of the few historical decks that have been continuously printed since their first edition :)

Beside of this thread there are quite a lot of very interesting threads on AT about the several versions of Etteillas deck.

Best regards

Thank you for the information :)
I impulse bought this one because the booklet seemed to be in English, it was very reasonably priced, and I'm hoping to read with this deck eventually :cool2:
I notice there are lots of French edition new ones going on Amazon.fr are these like mine but just in French?

Sumada

@sumada
Myrrha's post is from 2007 ;)
But your link could be interesting for earthair who resurrected this thread ;)

BTW your Tarot Treasure Box is a great reference and always a joy to browse through :)
coredil
Thank you for both your observations [emoji6]