What's The Hierophant message?

Maru

I love the Hierophant and I have a great relationship with this card. Probably helps that my own mind and practices are highly structured to a degree :* A common read for me in CC is emperor in outcome position (positively dignified) with Hierophant as self with High Priestess in past or present readings... when I question my intuition, these clash. Otherwise, I see them as "main actors" in my life which provide a huge amount of structure to not only my thinking, but also resulting Temperance in life...

In addition to the gems said here. I sometimes read this as "keep it simple stupid", in terms of more conventional knowledge. I.e. You have this knowledge for a reason as your basis, don't waste it. Why take drugs for that health ailment, when you can just adjust diet, practice old school medicine (get off the couch and stress less), stop putting yourself in positions to exacerbate it and do what your ma and pa always said to do...

I have gotten this card as a "father", but only that I'm only thankful for his genes. Never met him. We're only connected biologically, but that's it. Would only meet him for curiosity sake, but there's no malice here. Just gratefulness as I have always been blessed in terms of genes and having a "right" head on my shoulders. In place of him growing up, my father was God. I have also re-found that "man in my life" in my husband. So at best, he's the "main actor" in your life in terms of your most important roots... often male-based spirituality. Again I get him with Emperor positively dignified and I have a good relationship with the male sex, but there are a lot of highly intuitive chicks/strong matriarchs in my family too so I can see that in the High Priestess as well.

Sometimes he is our internal GPS. Though you may need to activate it through by more "conventional" methods spirituality wise. So if you have seen benefits from praying at your bedside, this would be the time. Sometimes I read him as a carrier of information... so I see him as the post office to a higher source... instead of you being the medium, you allow others or him to help you pass the message for you. So it's a passive form of divine guidance. The carrier of a prayer or intent from some sort of common practice, like bed-side prayer, prayer with family, hands on praying during healing sessions, etc... that helps you bounce back or put your best foot forward going from there.

elena_jaymz

The Hierophant can challenge you to find your own position. You were brought up in a certain way - either accepted the tradition of your community (religion, values, rituals, we all have the imprint of our upbringing even if our parents rejected religion - then this rejection is our imprint), or you rebelled against it.

Now you have to find your own position. Simply imitating and duplicating what you were taught is not enough, and rejecting it as act of rebellion is no better. Ask yourself how you really stand in the lines of tradition sketched by your elders, and which path you personally want to go. That's a sign of personal maturity, and it's also part of a life long journey.
Hi Nemia, thank you. Wise advice here, actually I agree and I confess it quite resonates. I need to find my own position and path in this life.

I like and respect the Hierophant. In a world of doubts, he is secure in his beliefs. And he asks us to find our own spot between the doubts and the certainty. Even if this spot is not our permanent home but just a step on the way. And whether we share his belief and tradition or not, he still gives his blessing.
I agree with you.

Do you know German? There's a verse by Goethe that I'm always reminded of with the HIerophant.

Was du ererbt von deinen Vätern,
erwirb es, um es zu besitzen.

What you inherited from your forebears,
earn it to make it yours.

For me, that's one of his lessons and challenges.
Yes, I speak German and I appreciate you quoted Goethe :)

Anyway I see what you mean, I think this is a precious advice, I must not reject what I've been taught, but to use it for my own good.

elena_jaymz

Hi Maru, thanks for your reply :)
I love the Hierophant and I have a great relationship with this card. Probably helps that my own mind and practices are highly structured to a degree :* A common read for me in CC is emperor in outcome position (positively dignified) with Hierophant as self with High Priestess in past or present readings... when I question my intuition, these clash. Otherwise, I see them as "main actors" in my life which provide a huge amount of structure to not only my thinking, but also resulting Temperance in life...

In addition to the gems said here. I sometimes read this as "keep it simple stupid", in terms of more conventional knowledge. I.e. You have this knowledge for a reason as your basis, don't waste it. Why take drugs for that health ailment, when you can just adjust diet, practice old school medicine (get off the couch and stress less), stop putting yourself in positions to exacerbate it and do what your ma and pa always said to do...
Ahahah I like it, I agree anyway, I tend to make my life more difficult than it actually is or also to make things worse as self-punishment or because I don't see a way out, while I clearly know such behaviors don't work.

I have gotten this card as a "father", but only that I'm only thankful for his genes. Never met him. We're only connected biologically, but that's it. Would only meet him for curiosity sake, but there's no malice here. Just gratefulness as I have always been blessed in terms of genes and having a "right" head on my shoulders. In place of him growing up, my father was God. I have also re-found that "man in my life" in my husband. So at best, he's the "main actor" in your life in terms of your most important roots... often male-based spirituality. Again I get him with Emperor positively dignified and I have a good relationship with the male sex, but there are a lot of highly intuitive chicks/strong matriarchs in my family too so I can see that in the High Priestess as well.
Also someone else (Barleywine) said this card could have something to do with my father, indeed it's true I consider him as my most important root, my strongest foundation, however I've been constantly in conflict with him since some years..

Sometimes he is our internal GPS. Though you may need to activate it through by more "conventional" methods spirituality wise. So if you have seen benefits from praying at your bedside, this would be the time. Sometimes I read him as a carrier of information... so I see him as the post office to a higher source... instead of you being the medium, you allow others or him to help you pass the message for you. So it's a passive form of divine guidance. The carrier of a prayer or intent from some sort of common practice, like bed-side prayer, prayer with family, hands on praying during healing sessions, etc... that helps you bounce back or put your best foot forward going from there.
Once I prayed at my bedside, probably it's time to start doing that again, it could help me. Thanks again Maru.