Death and Judgement

katep

Side by side for future, these aren't good news, right? I read this as an absolute ending, no going back, a seismic but unavoidable change that is somehow paying a price for something. Any other thoughts?

barefootlife

Side by side for future, these aren't good news, right? I read this as an absolute ending, no going back, a seismic but unavoidable change that is somehow paying a price for something. Any other thoughts?

I read them exactly the opposite, actually. Death can be a painful experience, but it's a card of rebirth as well, and Judgment is a card about resurrection, an opportunity to rise up and take hold of what you learned from going through the Death experience and using it to get to a new, more enlightened place.

To add a little bit to this, I'd say your reading would be more corresponding to the Tower and (maybe) Justice, which would indicate catastrophic change out of your control and then karma unfolding from some previous actions.

katep

That's interesting, barefootlife, thank you. Both my decks have a very 'day of reckoning' image for Judgement so I guess that has informed how I read it...

CosmicTarot

How interesting to see this topic at this time, since I just recently got it as a combo in a reading.

When seeing this thread it dawned on me: Isn’t these two the ultimate rebirth/reincarnation combo?

It’s a highly transformative energy nevertheless. With the Death card a new beginning is suggested, but side by side with Judgment, it’s a promise. I think it signifies a total metamorphosis.

katep

Cosmic Tarot, yes I can see that. A painful process but ultimately transformative and freedom giving. Interesting you had the same combo!

nisaba

Side by side for future, these aren't good news, right?

Not exactly. They may be GREAT news for the subject's life - but it won't be a soft landing. :)

I read this as an absolute ending, no going back, a seismic but unavoidable change that is somehow paying a price for something. Any other thoughts?

That is not a bad starting-point, but why would you see that as a negative? Seismic unavoidable changes are more The Tower: Death is more the irreversible ending. And paying the price for something: why is it a bad thing to balance the scales, to pay one's debts to wsociety oran individual, to compensate for the wrongs of the past? For me, periods like that in my life might mean I have to live with embarrassment and making the admission in the first place, but the relief once I have fronted up and done what is necessary, is palpable and tangible.

So I see your interpretation as okay, and actually okay, not bad.

My own for this pairing?

Well, Death indicates a complete Full Stop. This situation is going no further. You have to stop banging your head against a brick wall hoping to erode it away, and walk down a completely different road in you want to get anywhere. That's what Death tells me here.

Followed by Judgement: But before you take that new road, take a long, hard look at yourself. Are you completely blameless? Have you made bad choices or bad decisions that helped lead you here? Think about them. Learn from them. Don't make the same mistakes next time.

katep

Hi Nisaba, your interpretation makes a lot of sense and is possibly why I am feeling uncomfortable with the pairing!

I wonder if it would be different if it was Judgement followed by Death.

My situation is that I know I have to make a choice about something or things will never change (I guess this is Death, the ultimate dead end.)

It's very easy to polarise the situation and say the other party is wrong and I am right but the reality is greyer than that - the other party has done wrong but I haven't been an angel either. I guess the problem is that once I set foot in the grey territory, I get stuck in feeling bad and don't have the guts to actually do anything about it.

So maybe the cards are saying that I have to make the change but not do it in the frankly kind of stealthy way I was imagining, to avoid contact with the other party, but more openly/authentically, acknowledging what I did wrong but also saying this can't continue?

Oooh, this sounds scary!

Barleywine

I can see encouragement in Death followed by Judgement, provided a longer view of the situation is taken. Without first letting go of something, you may not be ready to "hear" the call of Judgement, which is one of renewal. An "out with the old, in with the new" sort of thing. The usual cliches apply, such as "the night is darkest before the dawn," "let the scales fall from your eyes," etc. There's nothing superficial about the combination, so it could certainly seem"scary."

Ruby Jewel

I can see encouragement in Death followed by Judgement, provided a longer view of the situation is taken. Without first letting go of something, you may not be ready to "hear" the call of Judgement, which is one of renewal. An "out with the old, in with the new" sort of thing. The usual cliches apply, such as "the night is darkest before the dawn," "let the scales fall from your eyes," etc. There's nothing superficial about the combination, so it could certainly seem"scary."

And what would you say if Judgement is followed by Death?

Ruby Jewel

Which one came first?