Which Book for Learning Lenormand

Ruby Jewel

I am learning Lenormand and discovered the two popular books for learning are the Caitlin Mathews and Rana George books. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the differences in them, and which might be the personal preference for some of you, and why. Thanks.

Barleywine

I find Rana's book more conversational and readable, Caitlin's a bit more technical and inclusive. Both are very good. My favorite, though, is Andy Boroveshengra'a Lenormand: Thirty Six Cards (be sure to get the updated version). There is also Sylvie Steinbach's The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle, but I find it more useful as a reference work than as a learning tool. I first started learning here on the forum when Andy was still a member, then went on to internet blogs (there are several good ones) and finally to books when some were finally published in English. If I could read German, I would get those books too. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, so I never bought into any of the available courses.

Nemia

I second the recommendation for Andy B's book, it's very good. I also liked Anthony Louis' book, it's short but very intelligent and concise. From the German books, I liked Angelina Schulze's ideas about person cards (although the rest of her book is weak IMO).

I started many years ago with Anne Biwer's German book and base my Lenormand work still on her card meanings (available on the Internet at Amalthia).

Caitlin Matthews' book is very useful, too, although I'm not always in the same boat with her card meanings - but her chapters about reading techniques, cards and language and her exercises are excellent.

Rana George and Sylvie Steinbach - their card meanings too far removed from how I read (French school) but interesting ideas about HOW to read them in each of them. Steinbach's chapter about 5 card readings is very helpful and IMO the best in her book ;-)

I'm a cherrypicking reader and take from each book what I need. There are books I rely on for card meanings (like Biwer) who offer little else, and other books that explain the rest much better (card combinations, reading techniques like mirroring, knighting, counting..., how combinations work, how cards interact in a GT etc).

I have a Lenormand study journal where I build up the card meanings from books and my own readings, and I always write down from where I took each idea, combination, method, technique or nuance of meaning.

As first library, I'd go for Andy B, Rana George and Caitlin Matthews.

Ruby Jewel

I find Rana's book more conversational and readable, Caitlin's a bit more technical and inclusive. Both are very good. My favorite, though, is Andy Boroveshengra'a Lenormand: Thirty Six Cards (be sure to get the updated version). There is also Sylvie Steinbach's The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle, but I find it more useful as a reference work than as a learning tool. I first started learning here on the forum when Andy was still a member, then went on to internet blogs (there are several good ones) and finally to books when some were finally published in English. If I could read German, I would get those books too. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, so I never bought into any of the available courses.

I have the Caitlin book, just ordered the Rana book, and looks like I'm going to be getting Andy B book as well. For sure I will check it out. I love Utube...so much talent and generosity with their knowledge. We are certainly fortunate.

Ruby Jewel

I second the recommendation for Andy B's book, it's very good. I also liked Anthony Louis' book, it's short but very intelligent and concise. From the German books, I liked Angelina Schulze's ideas about person cards (although the rest of her book is weak IMO).

I started many years ago with Anne Biwer's German book and base my Lenormand work still on her card meanings (available on the Internet at Amalthia).

Caitlin Matthews' book is very useful, too, although I'm not always in the same boat with her card meanings - but her chapters about reading techniques, cards and language and her exercises are excellent.

Rana George and Sylvie Steinbach - their card meanings too far removed from how I read (French school) but interesting ideas about HOW to read them in each of them. Steinbach's chapter about 5 card readings is very helpful and IMO the best in her book ;-)

I'm a cherrypicking reader and take from each book what I need. There are books I rely on for card meanings (like Biwer) who offer little else, and other books that explain the rest much better (card combinations, reading techniques like mirroring, knighting, counting..., how combinations work, how cards interact in a GT etc).

I have a Lenormand study journal where I build up the card meanings from books and my own readings, and I always write down from where I took each idea, combination, method, technique or nuance of meaning.

As first library, I'd go for Andy B, Rana George and Caitlin Matthews.

Hi Nemia, thanks for all this great information. I'll be looking at Andy B, and I've just ordered the Rana George. I have Caitlin Matthews, but wasn't sure if I need the Rana George as well. Then I saw a book review on Utube on it, and decided I had to have it.

Village Witch

I started with Rana's book and then Caitlin's. I wish I would have started with Andy's book, as I needed the foundation/bare bones meanings of the cards that I didn't get with Rana and Caitlin. I had to start over with Andy's book. Rana is for the intuitive reader. Caitlin is somewhere in the middle. In my opinion, of course!

For learning card layouts, I like Cailin's book.

Ruby Jewel

I started with Rana's book and then Caitlin's. I wish I would have started with Andy's book, as I needed the foundation/bare bones meanings of the cards that I didn't get with Rana and Caitlin. I had to start over with Andy's book. Rana is for the intuitive reader. Caitlin is somewhere in the middle. In my opinion, of course!

For learning card layouts, I like Cailin's book.

I just looked at Andy's book, and I also like it...I think I'll take the advice here and go ahead and get it. I spent the past few days memorizing the cards and the insets, and hadn't started trying to read the cards yet.....now that I'm starting to try to read the cards I realize this is not going to be the easy breezy process I thought it would be, so I'm looking for something simple and straight forward right now. So, I really appreciate this recommendation as I can see you are right in beginning with Andy's book, and his simple basic 3-word system.

Ruby Jewel

Do you know if the April 2014 the latest version?

Astraea

Andy's and Rana's are my go-to books. I'm very glad that they will be joined at some point by Donnaleigh De La Rose's book, which is in the pipeline.

Barleywine

Do you know if the April 2014 the latest version?

The older version only has 211 pages, the newer one (which I don't have yet) I believe has around 285 pages, with additional material. My older one is 2014, but I don't know if they changed the copyright date when they updated the book. The covers are different as well. Andy has an explanation about the two different versions on his site.