Thoth Tarot Positive or Negative Energy?

ZenMusic

>>78 pieces of cardstock!

no, not at all, that's like saying a book is the same as a stack of blank paper

as soon as you draw a symbol (or anything) on the card, it's different than a blank card.. even if a person is ignorant of the symbol's meaning(s) .. the symbol has energy .>> then attach a history to it and it has much more context

>>Thoth Tarot has no energy or an evil aura
>>>surrounding it. How laughable!

all traditions, organizations... etc. etc. even books, mantras, buidings... definately have "energy" attached to them (within them) and that energy is growing, shifting, changing everyday .. effected by every thing they do, each person does (in varying degrees of effect)..

walking a path out of Rishekesh .. is totally different than walking a path in Central Park.. or in the Yucatan or outside Kyoto (ignoring the difference in the mindset that a person might have) .. .... silly to think that every mile on earth has the same blankness as "cardstock"

simply take a deck you don't know, go through it carefully , viewing on the backs of the cards... and you can get a good feel of what that deck is about..

Aeon418

ZenMusic said:
simply take a deck you don't know, go through it carefully , viewing on the backs of the cards... and you can get a good feel of what that deck is about..
Ah, but is this "feeling" objectively in the cards themselves? Or is it a subjective reaction in my own mind? How else can you explain different reactions by different people to the same object?

The mistake is to go one step further and project this feeling outwards on to a pack of cards. This is particularly true with minds that are already biased in a negative way due to a combination of superstition, fear, and ignorance.

serenaserendipity

i had a temper tantrum and threw my thoth deck all over my bedroom floor two nights ago... and have left it lying there since... i was mad at it for apparently giving me bad advice

i said "you're not helping me at all!"

s.

p.s. my thoth deck comes from prague and looks different than the us games systems one i've seen around... i think of it as a positively Voodoo/Alchemical deck. it's perhaps demonic but neither bad nor good but i am not sure i trust it anymore.

p.p.s. if i sound loony blame it on my break up with the thoth...

moderndayruth

Can i add few drops of oil to the fire? :D
I feel some raw power radiating from the Toth images by merely looking at them online - i never had a possibility to see the deck closer or to hold it.
I agree 78 pieces of paper can not have any impact on anyone, though images can, can't they ;)
Power itself is neutral, imo it's more about what one does with it and can one handle it at all. And i do agree with what's been said here that some of us are afraid of their own power (read-me). But this thread did it for me.
I am off to alida store to order the pocket Toth ;)
Love,
mdr

Alta

moderndayruth said:
I agree 78 pieces of paper can not have any impact on anyone, though images can, can't they ;)
I agree with that. Images do have power to move us, as has been proven throughout history.

Aeon418

Marion said:
I agree with that. Images do have power to move us, as has been proven throughout history.
But how exactly do they move us? Are we mere passive receivers of external energy that is supposedly radiated off by images and icons, or even tarot decks. Or do images stir our own internal currents, the real source of energy at work.

moderndayruth

Aeon418 said:
But how exactly do they move us? Are we mere passive receivers of external energy that is supposedly radiated off by images and icons, or even tarot decks. Or do images stir our own internal currents, the real source of energy at work.

Well, this is really a good question. While I believe images "move" us on archetypal level of the psyche, i believe that the response "triggered" by the images is individual and that it's conditioned both by our past lives experiences, as well as with the believes we developed during this incarnation.
Whether we are passive receivers or we actually "process" the images...
Well, i think it depends on what one does with all the other information available out there - do you take it for granted? Which is , i believe, the images encourage thinking process and awareness... well, at least in "thinking beigns" ;)
Btw, i ordered standard Thoth, not the pocket one and the deck will be with me in five days... yay!

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Ah, but is this "feeling" objectively in the cards themselves? Or is it a subjective reaction in my own mind? How else can you explain different reactions by different people to the same object?

Fair enough, but how does one explain THE SAME (or similar) reactions by vastly different people, with a different culture and environment that have never had conact, to the same object?

moderndayruth

ravenest said:
Fair enough, but how does one explain THE SAME (or similar) reactions by vastly different people, with a different culture and environment that have never had conact, to the same object?

here is the definition of archetypal from the free dictionary...
¨ In Jungian psychology, an inherited pattern of thought or symbolic imagery derived from the past collective experience and present in the individual unconscious.¨
That s the explanation thats most sensible for me ;)

ravenest

moderndayruth said:
here is the definition of archetypal from the free dictionary...
¨ In Jungian psychology, an inherited pattern of thought or symbolic imagery derived from the past collective experience and present in the individual unconscious.¨
That s the explanation thats most sensible for me ;)

ah yes, but that considers an INHERITED pattern and COLLECTIVE experience.

What I am talking about is two cultures with NO inhereted pattern or collective experience. Eg. Australian Aboriginals and Western culture. case: The stars that make up the constellation we know as Scorpio. Many of the elements we relate to Scorpio (whether we see it as a sign or constellation) are elements in the Aboriginal myth of how Scorpio constellation was formed.

I find that absolutly fascinating. Similar cases exist for links with Ancient Egytian mythology and Thelemic 'cosmascape' with Australian Aboriginal understanding.

But I suppose we can postulate that the links, and the collective unconcious link does not need a physical link?

In that case, a sign, pattern or object, in a way, DOES have its own 'energetic infuence'?