which "Soprafino" deck?

Double Headed Secret

Sorry, I'm quite new to my Tarot obsession, so I apologise if this has been discussed in the past. I am curious to hear from people who have seen these decks which one is "better"...? Il Meneghello's Tarocco Soprafino or Solleone's Tarocchino Lombardo ? Are these editions usable or too delicate for daily use ? Are Lo Scarabeo's Ancient Italian Tarot a better bet ? Does this Il Meneghello deck has the edges not cut properly ?

Many thanks!

Miss Woo

Soprafino Tarot (Il Meneghello) is the most beautiful in my opinion. I own it. I think it is the most beautiful deck ever made.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/soprafino/

You can buy it from Arnell's Art in Italy.

http://www.arnellart.com/osvaldo/taro-cl-soprafino.htm

eta

Sorry, I didn't answer your questions...

It's a limited edition of only 2000 copies (I think), so it's pretty special and I would handle it carefully.

Yes, the corners are quite sharp, and that is my only quibble, but you can have them rounded.

gregory

You can also get it from alida.

I think both decks are perfectly lovely; I would hesitate to say which was "better". The Lombardo is a lot harder to find, so if you think you might want both in the end, since the Soprafino is still very reasonably priced, I'd go for the Lombardo, and look to the other later :).

I own both, and both are fine for everyday use.

mrpants

Hey DHS, a couple things:

The LoS Ancient Italian is actually a different deck. It's great, but many of the cards differ in style; for example, IV The Emperor, 2 cups, ace cups. The color palate is much different as well; lots of yellow and green. The Soprafino cards far outshine the LoS in this regard, but that may be a matter of opinion. Also, the LoS deck is bigger than the Lombardo (To all: is Soprafino the same size as Lombardo?? I thought it much bigger!). It's the standard LoS size and stock, with rounded edges. Shuffles well, will stand up to heavy use.

I had the Lombardo for about a week, but was disappointed by its size, and quality. The paper to me felt rough and cheap, and I found the print quality lacking. The images are kinda blurry.

I've been on the fence about getting a Soprafino for years! If you pick one up, post your impressions, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers!

Double Headed Secret

Thank you for your opinions!

I still haven't decided, somehow I still hadn't found a deck that combines beautiful printing, honouring of the original - without too much computer graphics that makes my eyes bleed, with durability and usability....

I'm a bit afraid these special editions decks are too delicate for everyday use...

garmonbozia

I'm a bit afraid these special editions decks are too delicate for everyday use...

I agree with you, I'm afraid. I really like Meneghello and Solleone historical decks, but I don't use them. Although there are some differences, as mrpants mentioned, I use the LoS deck when I want to use a deck of this style.

debitutchi

I have both the Meneghello Soprafino and the Tarocchino Lombardo and compared them tonight.

Here is the breakdown:

Meneghello cards are slightly smaller than the Lombardo, but not by much. I think the illustrations are the same size, just the borders are slightly wider on the Lombardo.

Meneghello cards have age marks and staining which makes an interesting effect, but if you are not into faux aging…the Lombardo is not aged and are awaiting whatever stains you inadvertently imbue upon them.

Card stock is very similar, both have a matt finish. Texture is about the same. Thickness is almost exactly the same, though the Meneghello are a little stiffer.

Images are sharper on the Meneghello than on the Lombardo--the faces on the Lombardo sometimes seem slightly blurred (although very subtle). Lombardo has more vibrant colors that are bolder and somewhat obscure the shading lines. The Meneghello lines are laser sharp and beautiful, and there are visible shading lines.

Cardbacks on Meneghello are dots (pretty reversible) Cardbacks on Lombardo show an image which is not reversible (though much more interesting than the dots)

To me, both are excellent options with few negatives. I think the Meneghello deck is the more beautiful, it is just very small. I was hoping the Tarocchino Lombardo would have the same gorgeous illustrations (which it does), just larger (it is not). Meneghello feels more high quality--kind of a little beautiful gem. The Tarocchino Lombardo is still really nice though!

If you like faux-aged cards go Meneghello Soprafino
If you would prefer a Soprafino without the stains and age marks, go Tarocchino Lombardo
Otherwise, I think they are very similar.

Rasa

I just wanted to say that the Meneghello Soprafino is more durable than it looks.. Mine has been a regular reading deck for me for nearly ten years, riffle shuffling and all, and the cards are still in remarkably great shape!

lark

I just wanted to say that the Meneghello Soprafino is more durable than it looks.. Mine has been a regular reading deck for me for nearly ten years, riffle shuffling and all, and the cards are still in remarkably great shape!
I agree, mine has been used a lot too and it is still in perfect shape...nice little deck for big spreads and so lovely, working with this type of card stock is a treat.

3ill.yazi

I'm afraid the LoS is the only one in my price range. Which is good.