Help Request: Poetry Spread?

Purplemoonsong

Hi everyone! I'm new to the Aeclectic Tarot community, and I was wondering if anyone had any spreads for writing poetry? I've seen spreads for creative writing in general, but majority of those seem more geared towards novels than poetry.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

illyria

Poetry Spread

Hi, Purplemoonsong.

I was intrigued by your question, so I created this simple spread for writing poetry that can, hopefully, inspire you.

…..2…..
5…1…3
…..4…..

Card 1 - SITUATION/FOCUS
Identifies the heart of the piece, or its emotional center

Card 2 - POINT OF VIEW
Recommends whether the point of view of the piece is written from the first, second or third person
Minor Arcana: first-person POV (self-rumination)
Courts: second-person POV (addresses the reader)
Major Arcana: third-person POV (talks about a person, place, thing or idea)

Card 3 - MOOD
Suggests the pervading emotional theme of the piece; also identifies emotional undercurrents and influences
Is the piece melancholy? Observant? Righteous?

Card 4 - ACTION
Shows the dynamic of the piece, whether actions or non-actions are moving the narrative along, or holding it back

Card 5 - CONCLUSION
Determines how to close the piece, or conversely, how to leave it open-ended

Poetry_Spread.jpg

Here's a sample spread I did with The Fountain Tarot, and the resulting verse that I wrote from it.
Lines 1 to 4 show Cards 1 to 3 coming into play.
Line 5 shows the action, which corresponds to Card 4.
Last line, Line 6, is the conclusion, which is Card 5 in the spread.

(Line 1) When asked how the darkness felt on our fingertips,
(Line 2) we answered, separately,
(Line 3) in our separate interrogation rooms:
(Line 4) "massive and illuminated, with a maelstrom in the middle."
(Line 5) We took our resting heart rates and averaged them.

(Line 6) There is nothing heavier than almost dying.

The images on the cards served as my emotive triggers—but that's just my own creative process. I'm sure it's deeply personal for you, too. So take what you will from the spread, and let me know how it resonates with you.

Good luck!

Purplemoonsong

illyria, thank you so much for this spread! I can't wait to try it out!

The poem you wrote is also really beautiful~

Hemera

That was really beautiful! What is that deck you are using Illyria?
Have you seen our Haiku thread Purplemoonsong? I was thinking you might enjoy it.

Purplemoonsong

Have you seen our Haiku thread Purplemoonsong? I was thinking you might enjoy it.

I've seen it, but I haven't tried it yet! I tend to like writing longer poems, including poems meant to be read or meant to be performed out loud. Thus, I thought that the thread wouldn't help me that much. I'm currently in an exam period, and I'm planning to order the Shadowscapes Tarot, but after my exams finish and I receive my deck, I'm going to try writing a haiku. Thanks for referring me to the thread again, I nearly forgot about it!

illyria

Thank you so much, Hemera. :) Oh, and the deck is The Fountain Tarot. I'll edit my original post to identify the deck.

That haiku thread is interesting! I'm going to take a look, too.