Black Cats Tarot - lo Scarabeo

Le Fanu

I picked this up today in my local esoteric shop. I go out to buy fruit and vegetables and bread and come back with a new tarot deck...

I rather like it. I think it warrants more attention than being written off as a "bendy" cat tarot.

It has a great deal of character. Looking at it, I was thinking how those who like cat decks can be divided into two types; those who want cat decks to somehow sum up the true essence of cat-ness (Pagan Cats, Cats Eyes...) and those who enjoy the artificial, unreal aspect; (Baroque Bohemian, White Cats and this one). I have concluded - with this deck - that I am of the latter group. I like the fact that the artist has created something unreal. It has a definite Eastern folk art vibe which I like. Like Russian folk tale illustrations, something slightly sinister and melancholy. As with all LoS decks it is superbly produced and the artwork is very high quality.

It is interesting how I get nothing from the Tarot of the Pagan Cats and yet love this one. If I want true cat-ness, I play with my real cats here at home and enjoy their mad antics. I have discovered that what I really like is a cat deck with an element of the unreal. I don't need tarot to try and mirror their uniqueness as it is. I like a cat deck to go in a different direction.

However, it does make me a little sad as I had a dear, dear black cat who died after many happy years so seeing images (like The Sun) of black cats frolicking in feline heaven with sunflowers makes me sad. One image that unnerves me a little is that Arcana XXI (The World / Universe?) shows a black cat shedding its skin and becoming - oh bliss! - a white cat, as it smiles, blossoming on a lotus flower. What does that mean? Realisation? That what every black cats dreams of is to become a white cat? I find that a bit unfair. Why would all black cats aspire to be white? Black cats are beautiful in their own right.

I like the anthropomorphic aspect and the cats wearing gold like gypsy cats...

WyrdRaven

I am not a cat person and am not drawn to cat decks (although I do have Cat People and Medieval Cats). But I must say I am really drawn to these surreal bendy wierd cats! I really do like the artwork. I think this is far more interesting than most of the other cat decks out there. It's a bit otherworldly, and that suits me just fine.

tarot heart

One image that unnerves me a little is that Arcana XXI (The World / Universe?) shows a black cat shedding its skin and becoming - oh bliss! - a white cat, as it smiles, blossoming on a lotus flower. What does that mean? Realisation? That what every black cats dreams of is to become a white cat? I find that a bit unfair. Why would all black cats aspire to be white? Black cats are beautiful in their own right.

The meaning of white signifies a symbol of clarity, innocence, cleanliness, spirituality, purity and hope. It is closely associated with the absolute (both the beginning and the end, as well as their union) and for these reasons is often used at marriages, initiations, and death rites. The lotus flower represents rebirth, both in a figurative and a literal sense.

It's a great card. I didn't think I would like this deck at all but the artwork is really very good
and each card seems to tell a story. Nice job! Well, except for those hideous backs! What were they thinking?

gregory

Good to see some people showing some love for this deck. I do like it, but the back design has shut the menfolk out. Good art, no doubt.
Freddie - how very IST of you ! ;)

I rather like the backs actually... :) Sure I'm not a menfolk - but I read with the Gay Tarot too, and I am neither man nor gay !

sapienza

The backs are awful. I thought the backs of the Pagan Cats were bad but these are even worse! I really dislike any LoS backs that use an image from the deck upright and reversed. I mean does anyone actually like these type of backs? If they want to stick with the cat theme they could do a patterned back with paw prints or something which would be much more tasteful, in my opinion anyway.

Le Fanu

OK, some pics. Some Majors (I love the Wheel of Fortune) and some random (unseen?) Minors.

The middle card in the Majors is XXI The World / Universe (?). With the apotheosis of the black cat, fully realised and becoming white... :(

Attachments

• BCMajors.JPG
    BCMajors.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 196
  • BCMinors.JPG
    BCMinors.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 164

gregory

OK, some pics. Some Majors (I love the Wheel of Fortune) and some random (unseen?) Minors.

The middle card in the Majors is XXI The World / Universe (?). With the apotheosis of the black cat, fully realised and becoming white... :(

Becoming PURE, Leffy. Like - when did we last see an angel with black wings ?

Essjay

Thanks for those scans Le Fanu. I do like the facial expressions on these cats and the humanisation works well for me. The, "going white," card is a little odd though. Am sure my black and white cat would like to look the same in the after life!

I wish I'd got this deck actually, instead of the So Below as I'm not entirely sure about that one at the moment!

WyrdRaven

I love the card scans! What a shame about the backs. They don't go with the rest of the deck at all. Every time I see them I think of Wonderwoman.

Londubh

Becoming PURE, Leffy. Like - when did we last see an angel with black wings ?

Could you not have a black angel cat with white wings?

I get what the card is trying to convey, but I think it has done so in a poor manner.

(The archangel Michael in the Mary-el has black wings. Yes, not standard imagery.)