Insectile Wings?

Barleywine

Still looks crystalline to me though (and I see no reason why artistic symbology, especially in tarot, cannot show a crystal outline with an organic form within it ... mixing symbols)

There IS a near-precedent in nature (although amber is fossilized tree resin and not crystalline).

Attachments

• Bug in Amber.jpeg
    Bug in Amber.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 102

blue_fusion

There IS a near-precedent in nature (although amber is fossilized tree resin and not crystalline).

OT, reminds me a Nancy Drew (or was it the Hardy Boys?) novel I read as a kid. It involved having a spider embedded in a sapphire (which is a crystal) - a physically impossible thing, at least so far. :)

Barleywine

This is what I am reminded of with many of the sword cards;

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/eps-gif/MagicSquareNumerology_851.gif

It is an association, as I said above , I am familiar with Planetary Karmeas (and constructing mandalas from them) .... but so was Crowley ;)

(Aside ; here is the Benjamin Franklin square of 8 linked sequentially ; note the two pillars (the twin aspects of Mercury / Gemini ).

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square/ben.lines2.gif

Yes, I see what you're saying. I've worked a bit with the sigils derived from the Planetary Kameas to make talismans.

The Benjamin Franklin one looks like a schematic for the MOAB X2. ;)

Abrac

It's interesting to do a comparison of Crowley's courts and those of the Golden Dawn. Below are side-by-side pictures of each, followed by a few comments. They look totally different, but many of the elements are the same in each. Wings are present in some form in three of the GD courts.

Princess

Book-T: "The Feet seem springy, giving the idea of swiftness."
Crowley: "... and there is some suggestion of the Valkyrie."

Book-T: "Weight changing from one foot to another and body swinging around."
This is illustrated much more clearly in Crowley's card.

Book-T: "She is a mixture of Minerva and Diana..."
Crolwey: "She partakes of the characteristics of Minerva and Artemis (Roman Diana)..."

Book-T: "She wears as a crest the head of the Medusa with serpent hair."
Crowley: "...and she appears helmed, with serpent-haired Medusa for her crest."

They both stand on clouds. Smoke arises from both altars though Crowley says his altar is "barren."

Prince

Book-T's description for the Princes says: "A WINGED King with Winged Crown, seated in a chariot drawn by Arch Fays, [archons, or Arch Fairies,] represented as winged youths very slightly dressed, with butterfly wings..."

and

"...the same butterfly wings on their feet and fillets."

Note: My PDF version of Book-T omits the portion in brackets above. In Gnostic thought, Archons are considered a class of ignorant or evil ruling powers of the material world.

Crowley mentions that his children are not reined, and this is also the case in the GD version. The wings are very clear in the GD. I believe Crowley's also has stylized wings which look like geometric shapes attached to the shoulders of the Prince and each of the children.

Book-T: "...he slays as fast as he creates."
Crowley: "...so that what he creates he instantly destroys."

Queen

The GD Queen's throne is floating on a cloud. Crowley's Queen appears to be seated on a cloud. The crystal-like structure behind her head is part of her helmet.

Crowley: "Her helmet is crested by the head of a child, and from it stream sharp rays of light, illuminating her empire of celestial dew."

King

Book-T: "A WINGED Warrior with crowned Winged Helmet..."
Crowley: "He is a warrior helmed, and for his crest he bears a revolving wing."

Both appear to be riding on the clouds.

There may be other similarities, but to sum up, I believe Crowley was influenced by the GD "butterfly" wings on the Fays and this shows up in his Princess and Knight, though oddly not his Prince.