No Love for the Celtic Cross

Wisdom Moon

Celtic Cross

Rarely use it as I prefer and get clearer answers with much smaller spreads.

CelestialHorse

The spread kind of confuses me in a way and yeah, lots of cards but I guess that's good if you want a deep reading XD. Like the whole "What is under this card" etc., what does that all mean? D: (Reading your post Sulis made me get it a bit more) but would I do it again? Eh I prefer my own kind of spread XD

Kgirl

I loathe the celtic cross spread! :laugh:

I have never understood the usefulness of the Hopes/Fears position? It's just stupid unless of course someone can educate me otherwise!

Also I feel it doesn't 'fit' certain questions and yet it is used a great deal!

CelestialHorse

Yeah D: Maybe hopes is just saying what you really hope for and fears is just to say what needs to be worked on. That's what I guess *shrug*

Kgirl

I don't know. It's a stupid position ... I mean ... you already *know* what you desire and what you fear. It's pointless

Glass Owl

Yeah, there are a lot of people who don't care for the CC for various reasons, myself included. There is a thread here where a lot of people have come up with their own modified versions of the CC.

Your Personal Version of the Celtic Cross

Reading through that thread is really insightful I think because it touches on so many of the things that people have found frustrating/unhelpful about the CC. Plus, if one can modify a spread so that it works better for them I think that is great!

tarotcognito

I loathe the celtic cross spread! :laugh:

I have never understood the usefulness of the Hopes/Fears position? It's just stupid unless of course someone can educate me otherwise!

Also I feel it doesn't 'fit' certain questions and yet it is used a great deal!
I use that position as a "wild card," "extra advice," "something the querent needs to know" type of thing rather than the traditional hopes/fears. :)

I like using the cross part of the CC, sometimes with an extra card representing a challenge the querent is facing. I generally don't have much use for the staff part of the spread.

Kgirl

Yeah, there are a lot of people who don't care for the CC for various reasons, myself included. There is a thread here where a lot of people have come up with their own modified versions of the CC.

Your Personal Version of the Celtic Cross

Reading through that thread is really insightful I think because it touches on so many of the things that people have found frustrating/unhelpful about the CC. Plus, if one can modify a spread so that it works better for them I think that is great!
This is very useful. Thanks

I think in order for me to find any benefit with the celtic cross, I would certainly have to tweak the positions

I use that position as a "wild card," "extra advice," "something the querent needs to know" type of thing rather than the traditional hopes/fears. :)

I like using the cross part of the CC, sometimes with an extra card representing a challenge the querent is facing. I generally don't have much use for the staff part of the spread.

Now this would be useful for sure. Thanks for that suggestion

CelestialHorse

I think what I get stuck on with the cards is in the middle the two that are on top of each other. Also I noticed when I look at spreads not all of them are in the order, like some will say 3 and 4 goes top and bottom. or they will say 3 and 4 goes on left/right same for 5 and 6, some say it goes top and bottom or left and right. D: I guess it all what you want to do and just hope the cards know what you are asking :)

Sulis

I think what I get stuck on with the cards is in the middle the two that are on top of each other. Also I noticed when I look at spreads not all of them are in the order, like some will say 3 and 4 goes top and bottom. or they will say 3 and 4 goes on left/right same for 5 and 6, some say it goes top and bottom or left and right. D: I guess it all what you want to do and just hope the cards know what you are asking :)
They are the main cards and all the other cards in the spread relate back to them. The 2 central cards (the mini or central cross) show the situation as it is. It's essential to understand how to read those 2 cards to understand how to read the rest of the spread.

The first card describes the querant or the situation / problem and the crossing card shows the blockage or what's reinforcing the problem...
I seem to remember that Mary Greer's book 'Tarot for Yourself' and Rachel Pollack's '78 Degrees of Wisdom' both have very useful chapters on how to read this spread.