No Love for the Celtic Cross

daisy chain

I don't know. It's a stupid position ... I mean ... you already *know* what you desire and what you fear. It's pointless

The thing I do like about is it shows

Attitude and whether this can affect out come or

Not

If possition 5 and ten are similar then the outcome is
Pretty much set but if there differences in these
Possition then
It also gives insight to appropiate aciton to take
On the line on the side

To adjust outcome or prevent possible out come

If what you fear is heading you for dissaster

Cc is great tooo

danieljuk

Celtic Cross is complicated and takes time and for years it was taught and written as books as "the spread". Tarot now gives more flexibility, you can personalise tarot much more to you. There is a lot less rules and conservatism. I do use the spread in some instances but I really love 3 card readings. just 3 cards no positions. sometimes I use wonderful spreads from this forum and sometimes I make up my own positions. But its a good thing to try lots of different spreads! Its a good spread for some situations and questions. Too complicated and the positions don't really fit for others. I am really into the horseshoe spread currently!

Emerald Isles

I've never really had a problem with the Celtic Cross. I've used it twice and both times the information was pretty useful. I guess the layout and wording of the positions can put people off?

Amanda

I like it. I don't use it often but if you want a detailed overview of a situation I think it's fine. It's not a beginners spread though so I don't like the way it's included as 'the spread' in the little white books that come with decks.
It's an spread for people who know how to read, how to link the cards together and can see nuances and patterns between them.

I think part of the problem is that people try to use it without really understanding the meanings of the positions - things like 'crowning' and 'unconscious' are just confusing in my opinion.

It's easily adaptable too so you can change the meanings of some of the positions to get more useful answers.
My favourite version is one that I often use with clients and I've adapted it to make it more of an advice spread:

1 / 2 - The situation and what's blocking it or supporting it
3 - The basis of the situation / problem (what's causing it)
4 - Focus on
5 - Leave behind (don't do)
6 - Advice for the near future (do)
7 - The querant in the situation (relate it back to positions 1 and 2)
8 - Environment - others around the situation
9 - Key card - general advice
10 - Probable outcome

I really like this style, I think I'm going to use it.

canid

I started with the CC in the 1970's cause that was the only spread in the LWB & I thought you had to.

I think that cards 3 & 7 are redundant & just muddy the waters. It has nothing to do with the ability to read it 'properly'. So I created my own version of the CC, which many others have done.

Kristyjnh

The first time I tried learning Tarot (which was admittedly, a little half-hearted) I basically gave up because the only two spreads that came with my book were Celtic Cross and the 7-card Horseshoe. I had a lot of trouble with them. I gave it up for a few years and started again about a year and a half ago.

Only recently have I considered trying a variation of the Celtic Cross (without the "this crosses you" part.

rylla

I like it. I don't use it often but if you want a detailed overview of a situation I think it's fine. It's not a beginners spread though so I don't like the way it's included as 'the spread' in the little white books that come with decks.
It's an spread for people who know how to read, how to link the cards together and can see nuances and patterns between them.

I think part of the problem is that people try to use it without really understanding the meanings of the positions - things like 'crowning' and 'unconscious' are just confusing in my opinion.

It's easily adaptable too so you can change the meanings of some of the positions to get more useful answers.
My favourite version is one that I often use with clients and I've adapted it to make it more of an advice spread:

1 / 2 - The situation and what's blocking it or supporting it
3 - The basis of the situation / problem (what's causing it)
4 - Focus on
5 - Leave behind (don't do)
6 - Advice for the near future (do)
7 - The querant in the situation (relate it back to positions 1 and 2)
8 - Environment - others around the situation
9 - Key card - general advice
10 - Probable outcome

I like this one! A lot! I am going to try it. Thanks!

ETA. When I've got my first deck and didn't know anything about tarot, I was wondering what to do with it LOL. I was wondering how I could make a reading with it. So I put down the first card thinking that this could represents 'me/situation'. Let me put one over it, this could mean "over my head". So on. Later on I read about the celtic cross and the meaning of the cross' position was the same that I came up with. I considered that a 'sign' that tarot is for me :) and the rest is history!

I am using the celtic cross from time to time, however I always have a feeling that it lacks something. I am trying to combine the original spread with my own positions, I am looking for the 'best' position, still never feels perfect. Not sure why ( just occurred to me that I should develop a bit different spread for a general or situation or personal or relationship celtic spread - it is mentioned in the books that this spread is good for a general or situation reading so I am using the same celtic spread for different topics and it is unsatisfying)

donnalee

Funny! I did one today for the first time in a while, and felt it was just sort of tedious, even though the news was good.