Celtic Cross question

angelika

Dear All

I know the CC is not very popular as a spread on AT but I quite like it and often use it with some success depending on the kind of question posed.

I have a question about position 2 - the card that crosses the central card. Everywhere I have read about the CC has only ever positioned this card as the 'challenge' and the card in opposition to the subject card and yet I often find, especially in more positive readings, that this card represents not a challenge but a contributing factor. So for example I asked the cards about a trip I was making and the central card was Fool, crossed by Ace of Pentacles. The Ace was clearly here not a challenge but a nice contributing factor as the trip was both a journey (Fool) which I had not made for many years but was also one with which I was familiar. In this way it was lucky and positive whilst also being something unusual for me. The Ace here was not in opposition, it wasn't a challenge, but as I read it it contributed to the central issue. And having done the trip I can certainly say this was how it was.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how they read position 2 and if they do so in a positive way. Or am I not getting it at all?

Thanks

magicjack

It doesn't always have to be a challenge. Depending on the card, and how you see negative or positive cards, it can work for or against the first card. It crosses for good or bad. I think the most important focus is to read the 2 cards together. I personally use this spread quite a bit but change a few positional meanings to suit myself. You would think it would be an easy spread but sometimes it is a challenge in itself.

Alpha-Omega

Dear All

I know the CC is not very popular as a spread on AT but I quite like it and often use it with some success depending on the kind of question posed.

I have a question about position 2 - the card that crosses the central card. Everywhere I have read about the CC has only ever positioned this card as the 'challenge' and the card in opposition to the subject card and yet I often find, especially in more positive readings, that this card represents not a challenge but a contributing factor. So for example I asked the cards about a trip I was making and the central card was Fool, crossed by Ace of Pentacles. The Ace was clearly here not a challenge but a nice contributing factor as the trip was both a journey (Fool) which I had not made for many years but was also one with which I was familiar. In this way it was lucky and positive whilst also being something unusual for me. The Ace here was not in opposition, it wasn't a challenge, but as I read it it contributed to the central issue. And having done the trip I can certainly say this was how it was.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how they read position 2 and if they do so in a positive way. Or am I not getting it at all?

Thanks

You are on the right track in your thinking. For myself. If I saw Fool crossed with Ace of Pentacles for a trip it would strike me as a message to just watch my pennies while traveling. But other than that yes its a nice combo.

Apollonia

I have never read the crossing card as a challenge, only as one aspect of the situation. (I use two of them, but I've never run across another read who does this.)

Morwenna

It's as if the crossing card was an adjective. It modifies the situation, which could be a challenge or a help.

InionAradia

It could also suggest an area for development- if it's a trip you've made many times and are familiar with it, then you might need to try something new during this trip. If it's a car journey, there might be a lot of traffic, or you might need to stay relaxed or prepare well, for example.

Grizabella

I have never read the crossing card as a challenge, only as one aspect of the situation. (I use two of them, but I've never run across another read who does this.)

Do you mean you use two crossing cards or two versions of the Celtic Cross? If you use two crossing cards, that's interesting. I might try it myself sometime.

I use the crossing card as meaning what's the challenge facing the querent in this issue. Something that's adverse in the scenario.

angelika

It doesn't always have to be a challenge. Depending on the card, and how you see negative or positive cards, it can work for or against the first card. It crosses for good or bad. I think the most important focus is to read the 2 cards together. I personally use this spread quite a bit but change a few positional meanings to suit myself. You would think it would be an easy spread but sometimes it is a challenge in itself.

Magicjack - thanks, that is very reassuring as this was how I was reading it and it was working well for me. I just wondered why there is never any advice on reading it this way and then wondered at myself and my readings. Sometimes it is clearly a challenge card. Sometimes it is clearly not. It never seems that unclear to me (as yet!), Thanks again

angelika

You are on the right track in your thinking. For myself. If I saw Fool crossed with Ace of Pentacles for a trip it would strike me as a message to just watch my pennies while traveling. But other than that yes its a nice combo.

Yes true! I did spend too much money - but then, how can you not when travelling? Thanks for your reassurance.

angelika

Apollonia - I am glad to hear that. It seems most people read it this way. I haven't looked much at books since I first started a few years ago now but have just felt my own through after the initial foundation. Going back to the books was quite rigid in their interpretation of this spread. I also have adapted the positions to suit myself. I know what I mean them to be....