Is performing 'Tarot Spells' a good idea?

AJ

Thumbs up! Nutritionally strong thumbs!

hunter

I did work hard :) The cards really helped me focus enough to figure out what to do. By laying them out on the altar, I had to choose a plan of attack and then the cards acted as a visual reminder of the work I needed to do.

My next ritual is going to be about getting into proper therapy for my trauma issues. Budget cuts dissolved my last placement. I'm on a 3 month waiting list for a place that I don't feel comfortable with. I'm not sure what I want to focus on.

I'm going to have to lay out the cards and pick the cards that stand out, and then narrow it down.

olivia1

I just got my tarot spell book today :) :) how long should we wait, between, spells before performing another one. The book has so many great spells that I just want to try them all now. But should I wait a few days (or at least a few hours) before trying a second spell?

Alta

Probably you should do one spell and see it through and do not dilute your focus.

hunter

I would keep working on just one, but tweak it, and keep working on it. Come at the same desire with new resources. Read you books. Add another crystal or herb to your altar.

I worked on mine for days, rearranging things. Adding things. Taking things away to narrow my focus. Actually doing the work and the phonecalls and the legwork. Then back to the cards. Cried on the phone. Back to the books and cards to rearrange. Post here. Add some crystals.

Maybe post the ritual you are working on. Maybe we can give you some ideas.

Sulis

olivia1 said:
I just got my tarot spell book today :) :) how long should we wait, between, spells before performing another one. The book has so many great spells that I just want to try them all now. But should I wait a few days (or at least a few hours) before trying a second spell?

My opinion:

If you want spells to work well then you have to take Moon cycles and other things like correspondences to do with days of the week etc into account when doing them.
For example to draw things to you or for increase you should work with the waxing moon. For banishing or to get rid of unwanted things you should work with the waning moon. Using the correct day of the week for a spell helps the spell to work better too.. For example spells to do with communication work best if performed on a Wednesday since that day is linked to Mercury whereas spells do do with love or relationships will work better if performed on a Friday since that is the day associated with Venus...

Spells are complicated things and aren't things to play with (in my opinion)..
I think it's important to know and understand a bit about how magic works and it's also very important to perform spells with some sort of ethical standpoint first.. Most witches have a strict ethical code even if it's an entirely personal one and Wiccans use the Wiccan Rede and the Law of threefold when performing spells.

Do be careful and don't think that just because you have a spell book you're going to be able to do all sorts of things.. People study for years to be proficient in spell-craft and take it very seriously (because you're playing around with very powerful forces and magic does not always work in a way that you want or expect it to)...

Sorry if I sound negative but it irks me a lot when I hear folks speaking as if casting spells is a game to be played.

Edited for spelling

MysticalMoose

I absolutely echo what Sulis has posted.. I would recommend anyone planning on using SpellCraft to do some serious & committed reading on the subject first.

MM :love:

nisaba

It's not that amateurish spellcasting is dangerous, more that without the focus of a really disciplined mind that has had a *lot* of training, spells of any kind simply don't have enough power in them to work. It's not a matter of laying out cards and/or lighting a candle, and/or lighting some incense, you know, these things are merely props. The real spellwork happens in a disciplined mind, where the right strand of energy has to be identified, then built up, then rolled into a kind of energy-ball, then thrown outwards at the target. Words and objects such as cards or crystals or something are landmarks on a roadmap to remind you of what you are doing, but the real work happens in a disciplined mind. Without that, nothing changes.

When you can form a visualisation of an apple that looks absolutely real - when you have your eyes open - or change the feel of the air in the room to a point where other people comment on it, then your mind has developed some of the skills spellcasting takes.

Sulis

nisaba said:
When you can form a visualisation of an apple that looks absolutely real - when you have your eyes open - or change the feel of the air in the room to a point where other people comment on it, then your mind has developed some of the skills spellcasting takes.
YES, thank you Nisaba :).

I didn't mention any of that in my post above but I've just read your post again Olivia and you're wanting to know how many hours to leave between spells.
To cast a spell and to do it properly so that it will work involves working with energies; laying out some tarot cards and saying a few magic words will not make a spell.
Magical visualisation is the key to spellcraft and no offence but it doesn't sound as if you've taken any of that sort of thing into account.

hunter

I believe that the universe cuts beginners a little slack, if they carefully choose their first rituals and spells.

A friend did a little ritual a few nights ago. She was terrified of her meeting with the dean of her college the next day. She was self soothing more than asking for anything. She is a real drama queen. I think the universe found her adorable. I warned her a few times to reign it in, because she was starting to toe some lines that I don't think she meant to cross. I think in attempting to formulate a request, she realized she didn't really have one :) I don't think the universe could have possibly done anything but laugh at her.

I've read a lot of books. I don't have the opportunity to meet with others so far, except online. I stick my toe in, and attempt a bit, so I can go back and read again with more understanding, and formulate better questions at a forum. I don't know how else to approach this right now, other than not approach it at all. I don't think that is the answer.

When I did my food stamps ritual I was lucky that the moon was waxing and that the day of the week was appropriate. I realized that afterward. It's a shame the tarot spell books don't place any importance on that. I find it helpful to read a regular spell book as well as the tarot spells books on a subject.

I still haven't made any headway in planning my "get into proper therapy" spell. I really want to include my new Tarot of Transformation, and I wanted to trim it first. I just finished that late last night. Unfortunately the moon stops waxing today :-( So maybe I should turn this into a 2 part spell and leave any attraction/growth aspects till after the new moon, and concentrate on what I want to lessen?