Oracles with Tarot

shadowdancer

hi Hemera

well, all the cards were scanned then printed the same size. As you can imagine, all the decks were slightly different so I had to make them uniform.
They are printed on plain card so the backs have no designs. Therefore reversals are not a problem, but to be honest I rarely use them or have them appear.

shuffling isn't too bad. This deck is 5 x 3' and I just shuffle them hand over hand, length ways instead of the usual widthways.

I do also have a regular 78 card patchwork deck printed out which is pocket sized. Just taroto images - no oracle or extra cards.

Davina

IheartTarot

This sounds interesting. Just out of curiosity: How do you shuffle? And if you shuffle on the floor or a large table then how do you deal with the reversals? 240 card meanings (upright + reversed) is quite a lot :D I´m having trouble with just the ordinary 78..

I stopped using reversals long ago. It makes life much easier. :)

The context (question, card position etc) tells me how to interpret the card.

Glass Owl

Oooh that´s really cool :)

I´m still wondering if there are any other ways than just getting confirmation from one or the other..Are there questions that are specifically suited to Oracles better than Tarot? I´d like a spread where some spread positions would require a Tarot card and some positions would need an Oracle card. Any ideas?
You bring up a very good point. When someone asks for Oracle card spreads most of the time the response is that you can just use Tarot spreads. But Oracles are different from Tarot (and are very different from each other!) and so they may be better suited for certain questions or positions in a spread.

Creating specific spreads where you have a couple positions that require Tarot cards and others that require Oracle cards sounds like a very interesting challenge. I think that the most difficult aspect would be figuring how to create positions for the Oracle cards that would allow one to select from a number of oracle choices.

Maybe it would be good to pick a particular Tarot deck and Oracle deck and then try to create a spread (or modify an existing spread) using it and then see how well it works with other Tarot decks and/or Oracle decks.

Carla

I just ordered Victorian Flower Oracle, for the purpose of using it with the Harmonious Tarot. Does anyone use the two together? What do you think of the idea? :) I had a look at Fantastic Menagerie Tarot when I read that people were using it with VFO, but I don't fancy it. Like many decks of that type, it feels to me to have a slightly macabre or sinister edge. Harmonious is very gentle. :)

GryffinSong

I have the Harmonious, but not the Flower Oracle, so I couldn't say about that. But I do agree with you about the macabre appearance of some of those others. I thought I was the only one who felt that way!!!

I was looking through my little Good Witch Bad Witch deck last night, and I'm thinking that I'll pull a card from it and let the witch discuss a tarot reading with me. Let the reading be through her voice, in other words. Could be fun and enlightening. :)

Glass Owl

I'd love mixing Necronomicon with my Marvel Heroes.

Though I had to find a new place for some of my Pokemon cards (Geek and proud of it) when Mom said she was looking for card pages to hold her coupons.

Considered turning some pokemon cards into oracle cards, but which deck would I group that with..?
I don't have any Pokemon cards but I have a lot of Harry Potter trading cards. I'd love to get my hands on the Wizard Tarot and put those together.

I don't have Marvel Heroes either but after a bit of searching through my husband's card collection I found a Fantastic Four Starter set (one deck is comprised for the good guys and one is the bad guys). Do you think I could make an oracle of sorts out of those and put them with the Necronomicon?

I also found two Simpson starter sets, one is Bart and Lisa. Not too sure what Tarot I could put those with....

We also have a ton of Magic The Gathering theme boxes here. We collected them basically for the artwork and we thought would get interested in playing them but now they just sit here unloved and unused. I really need to figure out a way of creating some oracle decks out of them and matching them up with Tarot in some way. A lot of them are Asian themed so maybe they would work with the China Tarot or Feng Shui. For some reason I'm thinking that some of them may also work well with the Necronomicon or the Universal Fantasy.

I love my Plot Twist cards and I need to use those more with my Tarot and Oracles.

I just ordered Victorian Flower Oracle, for the purpose of using it with the Harmonious Tarot. Does anyone use the two together? What do you think of the idea? :) I had a look at Fantastic Menagerie Tarot when I read that people were using it with VFO, but I don't fancy it. Like many decks of that type, it feels to me to have a slightly macabre or sinister edge. Harmonious is very gentle. :)
I have the Victorian Flower Oracle and just received the Harmonious. I haven't pulled them out and looked at them side by side but I'm thinking that they may work together. The Victorian Flower Oracle may also work with The Enchanted Tarot Deck.

Rev_Vesta

I love working with a mixture of both Tarot and oracle cards in a spread and combining the cards to create a full sentence....

Combinations that work well for me are Native American Tarot, Sacred Path Cards and Medicine Cards.......

RWS, Shadowscape Tarot and Crystal Wisdom Kit...

RWS and Crop Circle cards

Shadowscape Tarot with Wisdom of Avalon.....

I think it is such a personal thing.....but try to keep to themes of cards together..... if possible....

It is about having fun and seeing what speaks to you....

GryffinSong

I'm expecting the Mystic Faerie deck to arrive tomorrow, and in looking at the artwork it reminds me of the Art Nouveau Oracle (lenormand). I'm wondering if they'll work well together.

Lunalyn

I'm yet to buy an Oracle Deck (I can't make up my mind which to choose).
my question is - don't the Oracle Decks have a book or LWB that comes with them? if they do wouldn't they have some spreads in them?

that way perhaps you could combine - mix and match - an Oracle spread with a Tarot spread.

just a thought
lyn

BodhiSeed

I'm expecting the Mystic Faerie deck to arrive tomorrow, and in looking at the artwork it reminds me of the Art Nouveau Oracle (lenormand). I'm wondering if they'll work well together.

I have a lot of fun mixing and matching tarot and oracle decks. Some that you wouldn't think would work well together do, and some that you think would be made for each other seem awkward. I mixed the Morgan Greer Tarot with the new Gods and Titans Oracle a few weeks ago, and they did well together.