Does anyone use Archetype Cards by Caroline Myss

kimtsan

I've always been interested in archetypes--which was why I bought this deck. I haven't started working with them yet, so I'm just asking around. Does anyone have experiences with this deck that they are willing to share? :)

Kim

Glass Owl

I have had them for a number of years but I don't use them very often. The deck is pretty large so it can be a bit cumbersome to shuffle.

When I do, I usually pair them with another deck. I have pulled a card from this deck before to clarify a card from another deck. These cards can be blunt and get right to the point.

Here is a previous thread about them:
Archetype Cards by Caroline Myss

AJ

I gave mine to cardlady or moongypsy.
to confining for me.

kimtsan

Yeah the physical deck is itself is kind of bulky considering it has 80 something cards...going to try it soon. I enjoy reading and literature which was why I bought it...might use it for fiction-writing as well. :p

Teheuti

I've used them quite a bit in my classes on "Life as a Dream." Basically, you can write down a troubling life experience - using first person present tense, and including your feelings - as if you are going through it now.

Example: "I wake up in the morning and stub my toe as I get out of bed, really pissing me off. Then I can't find my car keys and feel really frustrated. I find them in the cat box, then discover I'm nearly out of gas. I start to cry. Who hates me up there? I get to the gas station and run into my high school art teacher who has seen my art show. He tells me he saw greatness in me back then. I feel like I'm walking on air. It's like the delays were meant to be."

It's as if you were a three or four different people in a space of a couple of hours: the angry me, the frustrated me, the victim, the artist, the successful me, the divinely-guided me. Now go through the Archetype Cards and pick the ones that most closely match the "beings" you are in this scenario. Read up on them in the booklet. Is there a pattern here? When do the problem inner-archetypes tend to appear? When do the more positive ones appear? Do they need to talk to or support each other? If they were a committee advising you on something now, what would each have to say? Etc.