Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

gregory

What - to each their own - or live and let live - as an absolute?

That's kind of funny :)

I do object to anyone of any persuasion trying to impose that persuasion on another, for one, and for another I don't like to have made someone uncomfortable about my own beliefs when that someone is a colleague who has to work with me.

Barleywine

What - to each their own - or live and let live - as an absolute?

That's kind of funny :)

I do object to anyone of any persuasion trying to impose that persuasion on another, for one, and for another I don't like to have made someone uncomfortable about my own beliefs when that someone is a colleague who has to work with me.

Well, if I did "live and let live" with my kids as an absolute and they decided they wanted to come back and "live" with me, it might become relative in a big hurry! :D But my daughter is a budding Lenormand reader, so at least I could get free readings.

gregory

I dunno. One of mine does plan to come and live with me when hers leave home - but I doubt very much if we'd need to do other than live and let live. :D She's veggie and I'm not - but that applies to me and my SO as well, so...

I can't see why it would be a problem - once they are adults.

Achlys

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't particularly care if I end up ostracized, but I don't hide my tarot interest in the slightest. I'm very open with it. Part of that is because I'm annoyed at people thinking it's something to be shameful of. While I don't throw it in people's faces, I don't hide it at all.

I've lost friends and stopped talking to some family because of it, but I think that it shows they're not real family/friends if they let one thing define your entire relationship. It does sadden me a bit that people are so closed minded, but the same way I don't want other people to feel ashamed for things they enjoy that don't harm others, I refuse to be ashamed of it as well.

Honeysun

Yes. Only a few people, including my family, know about it. Well, I don't really hide it. I just don't talk about it unless I'm asked (and no one asks). I try to keep my magickal/divination life away from people I don't 100% trust. Not everyone can accept it and certainly not everyone needs to know.

sleepnheat

Yes. Only a few people, including my family, know about it. Well, I don't really hide it. I just don't talk about it unless I'm asked (and no one asks). I try to keep my magickal/divination life away from people I don't 100% trust. Not everyone can accept it and certainly not everyone needs to know.
Same here. I saw a co-worker's bumper sticker (sign of god & goddess) and after a couple months, slipped in the subject. Come to find out, she has been practicing the craft for many years! So now every time we work together, that's usually the topic of discussion. It's a nice change to be able to openly discuss such topics without fear of being called strange. Plus, now we exchange books with each other :)

Sent from my Alcatel_5056O using Tapatalk

Dogs&Coffee

I don't keep it secret but I certainly don't rock a "I <3 Tarot" tee while wearing a "#1 tarot fan!" Giant foam finger either.

1. I don't want friends / family pestering me for free readings or telling me their negative opinions. Both are draining.

2. I have a public reputation to keep as a member of a small business community in an area full of lunatics. The more vanilla I appear the better.

gregory

Actually - I had an odd and delightful experience not so long ago. I went to dinner at the house of a friend - our main contact till then had been over singing and her advising a friend of mine through a divorce. For some reason, collecting came up in conversation - and I don't hide from people except, as I said, at work, for THEIR feelings as much as anything. They can't decide not to associate with me if it bothers them. So I said I collected decks.

ETA Wait - I remember how it came up - she wanted to know why x (another choir member) didn't seem as easy with me as she used to be... ;) and this was because someone had told her about my collection, and now she makes the sign of the cross whenever she sees me. This amuses me and baffles others - no prob !

And she opened her eyes wide and whipped out her deck.... She doesn't "hide" it either - but - well, it's a bit like those people who "wonder how to introduce gay friends at parties". Why do more than say "this is Paul." So many things aren't relevant until they become relevant. I don't say "Hi, I'm gregory and I don't believe in god", so why would I say "Hi, I'm gregory and I'm really into tarot" ? Being open about it is one thing; being aggressive about it quite another.

Thoughtful

l'm not bothered at all about people knowing about my spiritual leanings or of my using the tarot. Why hide a gift that enriches your life and others. l am not particularly keen on those who present at my door selling their particular brand of spiritual beliefs i.e. Jehovahs or Mormons. We are all at a different stage in our journeys and l respect other people's pathways as much as l wish them to respect mine. l did have a chuckle at a very insistent Jehovah witness once when l told her what l did, her face turned into horror as though she had just been confronted by the devil himself. She looked at her partner and they both took off :)
It's the diversity of human nature that teaches us so much, tolerance being a big factor.

gregory

I prefer acceptance to tolerance. Tolerance implies that there is something that needs to be TOLERATED - as in put up with.

JWs are fun. My 4 y/o made them leave once; I was being nice and letting them chat for a bit - it's a thankless task and they have to do it as part of their faith - and she suddenly pulled her finger out of her mouth and said "that's stupid, the lion would eat the lamb."

They left :D

But the Watchtower makes an excellent colouring book.