Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

toadwytch

I don't hide it, per se, but I'm not very frank about it either. I never bring it up. My gf loves to spring the fact that I have a deck with me on unsuspecting friends because they inevitably get excited and ask for a reading, and while it's endearing - I'd never ask her to stop, her enthusiasm is contagious - it also makes me uncomfortable. I always end up trying to play it cool and treat tarot almost like a parlour trick (it's come to mean a lot more to me!) for fear of seeming 'kooky' in front of people I don't know well.

I have difficulty focusing in situations that put me on edge like that, and I think it would benefit me to be more honest about the way I use tarot. I think her encouragement has helped me come a long way! But I'm new enough that I have yet to muster my courage and feel 100% comfortable sharing what feels like a very personal part of my life at the moment. I have no intention of telling my Christian family for a long time. :p

Enlightenment23

It depends.

In front of my super Christian parents? Not a chance in hell. My dad nearly lost his shit when I bought a palmistry book as a kid, so god knows how he'll react when I do so-called "devil's work." :laugh:

But in front of my friends, no big deal :). I also keep my tarot reading secret away from some love interests. Not because I am afraid of what they'll think of me, but because I don't want them to get the impression that I will analyze them from head to toe with my "psychic powers." Hehehe.

AntonK1111

I don't tell anyone at work that I read the cards because they have no need to know and the other guys would only tease me about it, in a good natured way though. However I wouldn't really care if they found out.

nisaba

"the lion would eat the lamb" don't you just love a child's innocent logic :laugh:

Nah, the child is just a pragmatist. :) The real innocent is the churchgoer who somehow thinks that a real, Christian lion would eat lettuce.

SunChariot

Why?

Are there certain people you can talk to about, but some you can't?

I do. If my parents knew they would take away my cards. My dad said they aren't allowed in his house.

I used to more at the beginning. I think it's a given that you can't really know how someone will react to finding out you are a reader. Some will be fascinated. Some will be turned off or even scared of you. You just don't know the reaction you will get.

At the start I tried not to tell anyone, anyone except AT members of course.

Over the years I am a bit less secretive. I don't go bringing it up into the conversation for no reason, but it is comes up in conversation then I will mention it.

It doesn't really bother me what others think of me for it like it used to. I know who and what I am and if they choose to misunderstand or have misconceptions it is not on me. Sometimes even it can give me a chance to explain what it really is and help people understand the truth.

I would NOT bring it up on a job interview or anything of that nature though, as I am aware that there are people who will think less of you for being a reader. And that is where you want to shine only.

Babs

EmpressArwen

Some people know, some don't. I am Christian so it's tricky because I know that many Christians would believe my *interests* are sinful...but not all.

All my friends know. My family knows. My in laws know a little. It's not something I hide but I don't really advertise it either.

My mom is probably the most conservative Christian I know (in regards to sin and such). She doesn't think this is a big deal at all. Probably because I've been "different" my entire life and she just accepts me as is. She believes that my use of cards and my divination meditations are my way of connecting to God. *shrugs* Who knows? She could be right. I have no idea.

I've only met a few people that truly had a problem with it but it never bothered me if they did. To each their own. I try to be respectful of other's beliefs so I just don't mention tarot around them. They aren't a huge part of my life so that is hardly a sacrifice for me.

It would be difficult if I had people in my immediate inner circle that had a problem with tarot/divination. I feel for people who have to deal with that.

page of ghosts

I don't think I'm the most secretive person, like I got some decks laying around my appartment and if you look closely in my bookshelves that are a little obscured by the couch you'd see a lot of books and stuff, but I'm not super open about it either. If someone were to ask I would be honest, but I haven't had a lot of people do that since I don't have a lot of visitors.

Carojulie

Most people around me are not familiar with tarot, and might consider reading the card a very weird hobby to have. Sometimes, on the contrary, people are surprised and interested when they know you read cards, and it can fuel super cool conversations... but not always. My tarot friends do not live close by, halas (I wish I had more tarot friends around me because i like to do in person readings very much). I am still hoping to connect to more people around that locally, but I do not have many opportunities.
It feels so good and fulfilling when one of my tarot friend is around and we can share views, exchange readings and all.. I had some really fulfilling and heart warming time with some friends around tarot cards.

I do not keep my practice a solid secret, but I do not advertize it either - I kind of adapt the level of information I give to who I am talking to and how open-minded I think they are (I might totally get the wrong idea on that, I realise !)

I am not out of the woo woo closet, but I have few hiding places and not much skill in hiding things, so I have many things lying around my place, including tarot books, decks, crystals, and a lot of other things that raise the eyebrows of a few people in my family (some have sideway smiles but they dont comment, but some others are even not polite about it, sight... one of my in-law thinks it is stupid and superstitious, and she can shown her contemps with nasty little remarks - but I know she has an ego issue and needs to put other people down so she can feel superior herself, so it is her problem, not mine, after all. She has other sides to her personality where she is very nice. But it still stings when she makes derogatory remarks)

One place where I am very discreet is the office. I work in a domain where rationality is very important, and I am good at my job. My professionnal surroundings are tough and there is a lot of office politics and drama that I do not like to get involved in. The competition can get rough and I know that some coworkers would rejoice if I could be tripped one way or the other ; so I just concentrate on my work and I do not share a lot of private things. In this work environment I have already been harassed about my supposed sexuality, so I would rather not be harassed about my supposed spirituality now.

Horse_Warrior

At Work and with Family

I do hide it from work and my family. I do this because of their religious beliefs. My family are hardcore atheist and my co workers are hardcore southern, Christians (ironically most of them are fake and only worship to get to heaven, not for the love of god). I come from a family of narcissist so they will look for any avenue to put me down and make fun of me. Then I will have to proceed to put them in their place and they wouldn't be able to cope. As for my co workers they will think I'm a devil worshiper. Then I will have to proceed to put them in their place and they wouldn't be able to cope. Either way it's not worth the war.

Horse_Warrior

What ?

No.

Why would I?

Yes, just as there are about art, books, philosophy and mathematics.

If you are under-age, you really have to live by the rules of your household. When you are an adult, you can run your own household, with your own rules. :)

If his father told him the rules of the house was to go steal from a neighbor does he have to follow them? He's learning to read not to become a satanist. I've seen really good kids with talents and gifts being taken away from them because it didn't fit the parents image. Reading is a gift and not bad. My advice kid is keep reading even if you have to do it away from the house. Try going to the local library and hide the cards somewhere in the stacks. I allowed my family to steal my gift from me for too many years. When I took back my power I became more grateful and happier with the divine/my life and they still are a bunch of miserable blokes.